1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Ever get shafted by a fellow NESer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ridleyman, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Sentenza

Sentenza

Was it this guy?
    http://dontevenreply.com/

1 person likes this.
  2. Crotchrocket

Crotchrocket NES Member

It's always a good policy not to really hold any merchandise until the deal is actually done. My strategy with CL or any other deal is I will hold it for you if you are coming from a long distance for the duration of your car ride so you don't show up and it's sold, but other than that it's the first person to show up with cash that gets it. That is how it works in any other business. If you are going to pick up some milk at the store you don't get any claim to that milk until you show up and pay for it.

Also in business until cash is exchanged anyone has every right to back out or change the terms of the deal. Just because I went to the dealership and agreed to pay $25,000 for said car doesn't mean I actually have to buy it until I sign the papers and take delivery of it. If a better deal comes along or I realize that the car isn't worth it I have every right to back out. That is just business.

3. PATRON

PATRON NES Life Member NES Member

About ten days ago I had worked out a deal with a guy for gun parts,so I thought.Still waiting on where to send payment.I had this guy leave me neg feedback,because I left him neg feedback.You see his idea of selling something is agreeing to sell his item to a few people,and whoever shows up first get it.Then never tells the others that it was sold.

4. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun NES Life Member NES Member

I just gave negative feedback and received a neutral back. Claims he couldn't find my add so it must be gone. Add is and has been up. I accepted less money but claims he found one in the few hours it took to respond.

5. GoodWillHunting

GoodWillHunting NES Member

Shit happens, but I've found NSer's to be the nicest/easier folks to buy/sell with.
    Haven't had a negative experience yet.

6. new guy

new guy NES Member

This is not necessarily true. Once you have offer and acceptance the party backing out can be liable for amounts suffered or spent by the other side in reliance on the deal. Not to mention that breaching a deal is just shitty behavior in most cases.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

I've had the "I'll take it" *******s that never get back to you, and in one case the guy called me and said he was on the way...and called a few minutes later and said his kid's school had called and he had to pick up his sick kid, so had to cancel. Had ground me on price, never heard from him again. Obviously got cold feet and was too big a pussy just to say he had changed his mind.

- - - Updated - - -

No "consideration" no enforceable contract. Business Law 101.

8. Snora

Snora

If you didn't set a time and location to meet then it wasn't a done deal. Neg him if you want but he got cold feet and that's not the same as getting "shafted."

9. robjax

robjax

I don't see how the OP was "shafted". Yes a price was agreed to based on a photo and the probable buyer backed out. The probable buyer could have still backed out upon viewing the merchandise in person as in if the picture didn't reveal a defect or there was something amiss inside the firearm that wasn't disclosed in the initial discussions.

Now if the OP had another buyer lined up who purchased from someone else instead of from the OP because the OP thought a sale was lined up with the back out guy...then yeah, I would agree the OP was shafted.

Because you weren't' screwed out of a sale to another potential buyer, as no other buyer was mentioned, meh....dude probably just didn't want it or found a similar item for less money or had a family emergency. We don't really know as we haven't heard from the other party. If no emergency situation on the potential buyer then not a good way to do business but I don't see any shafting here as another buyer wasn't put off for this potential buyer.

The neg rep is good as it lets other sellers know that they guy doesn't keep to his word.

10. bill o

bill o

He's just not that into your gun, dude. Time to move on.

11. wahsben

wahsben NES Life Member NES Member

As has been mentioned something may have happened. I've had no problem on here but I once ordered an item on Ebay that my daughter really wanted. I placed the order and than heard nothing for a long time. I got everything resolved and was able to get it from another seller but the reason I didn't hear from the original seller is because they had a medical emergency and ended up in the ER and than the hospital so before you neg. rep I'd try to find out the reason why they've not contacted you.

1 person likes this.
  12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Only 1 time I had a Member ask to order some AK mags extra for him and after that he couldn't meet up when I wanted (any weekend). :(

13. Tim L

Tim L NES Member

I have won a few karma items. Most were great but i got blown off over a shotgun barrel and a holster at two different times. i wasn't out any money so i figure i bought them cheap.

14. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

Never been close to shafted...Except once by a seller from Shrewsbury who I believe has since been banned.
    All the NES people I have met have been a pleasure to meet and trade with.
    I did have a guy go belly up on a small karma I won but he was going through some rough personal stuff so he get's a pass.
    I bought some nice BBQ equipment off a nice Greek guy in Boston recently...I was hoping he'd throw in one of those awesome sandwiches but no dice...[smile]

15. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

We did but it was disappeared.

1 person likes this.
  16. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Yup. Per Derek/Admin recommendation I gave a neg itrader, as he said that is what it is there for.

Most interactions here have gone very well.

17. beach

beach

I had a tough time completing a deal, with a fellow Nes member, I was patient and understanding because I sometimes work 15 to 18 hr days for weeks at a time. Some times life gets in the way.

I am glad I made that $750 transaction, a few months latter traded that gun for a Tavor with 3 pre ban 30 round mags.

18. spt_1955

spt_1955 NES Member

Most transactions have gone extremely well and have met some nice people. Biggest irritation from my standpoint is the people who buy and expect you to deliver to them.

There was one guy who asked if he could break down the pistol and look at it and I said "sure go ahead". He took the slide off, ran a white napkin into the grooves on the frame, pulled the napkin out and said "don't you clean your guns???" I answered "Yes I do and that one is clean." He offered me $100 less than the agreed up price because of the "condition.

I said "thanks but no thanks" and took the gun back. As I was leaving he called my back and offered me the agreed upon price. I took it but to be honest if it happened today I'd walk away.

19. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

I changed my schedule to meet him that evening, but he vanished. But no, not another buyer for that price. And I'm pretty sure he posted looking for a different preban AR that same evening we agreed upon the terms of the deal, so maybe he was just jerking me along, who knows?

I like the adult beverage default suggestion!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  20. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Don't be so hard on the guy. I'm sure his wife just found out how much he was about to spend on a bang-bang, and that was that.

1 person likes this.
  21. 413dan

413dan NES Member

waiting for a response from one of our female members…

1 person likes this.
  22. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I've had numerous telling me that they would buy my BM .22LR pre-Healey AR-15 and then back out because they are scared . . . in spite of Emails from AG and FAQ explaining it is twice exempt from her BS.

I offered free CMP ammo crates back when people were clamoring for them, had a few folks say that they would take them and then never show/bail out.

I'm very reluctant to use NES for "for sales" due to past experiences but have bought from here often.

23. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Craiglist is like playing with a dumpster full of AIDS, thats why that happened. 50% of the people buying shit there are douchebags.

BTW if you are that paranoid, there are 3rd party services that will issue you a fake phone number on a VOIP
    service, etc. Or you can just pick up a burner.

-Mike

24. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I definitely agree with this, shit like that CAN happen; but I think its the exception rather than the rule. Then again, on the other hand, I also don't get too bent if someone flakes if it wasn't a huge deal, unless I drive like 90 miles to meet someone that doesn't exist. On that same token though I can understand how someone would feel mildly aggravated. Then again I also don't close out avenues for other sales. On most of the stuff I sold here, within 24 hours it would have been onto the next guy.

-Mike

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  25. lancecolonel

lancecolonel NES Member

i've bought a few guns, a car and some other odds and ends from forum members. no issues. the couple things i sold went smoothly as well.
    i can also say that every group buy i've been in was well done (except for the winter-lower fiasco but i was more than made whole by the end).
    i have yet to meet a member who gave me the creeps or the willies or the stink eye. though i suspect a few may have had cooties. [wink] [smile]

1 person likes this.
  26. Machines

Machines NES Member

I've had plenty of people say they want to buy something and then vanish into thin air, including one guy recently who told me he had cash in hand for my AR as soon as I could meet him and then said needed to learn more about guns before buying it. But I don't consider that shafted, just irritated.

I did get double-shafted on one gun. Bought a pistol that was supposed to be in great shape. Seller wasn't enthusiastic about me giving it a close inspection (red flag,) so I rushed things like a fool and bought it anyway. After I got it home I realized it had issues. Then took it, twice, to a respected NES gunsmith for a fairly minor repair. Both times I could tell it either was still broken and/or had new problems, but he said it was fine and sent me home. At least the original seller agreed to pay for half of that.

Ended up fixing it myself in the end rather than wasting another trip to get it tinkered with.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  27. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

Bought a few, sold a few. Gave Karma items, received Karma items...no issues.

Whenever selling always seem to get one contact from non-green, zero activity time waster. Never respond to them, so no issues.

NES green members are the salt of the earth...well except for this one dbag that one time....

People are people ;-)

28. new guy

new guy NES Member

The consideration is what's being exchanged. By its nature it doesn't change hands until the deal is consummated. It's relevant to contract enforceability as a means of distinguishing between a contract and a gift, but you can absolutely be liable for breaching a contract before the consideration changes hands.

29. robjax

robjax

What he did is definitely rude for sure if other than emergency circumstances.

30. fencer

fencer NES Member

OP - send the guy a text telling him you received his payment via PayPal and that even though that was not the agreed upon method of payment the money is in your account so you want to meet and give him the item.
    He will contact you.

3 people like this.