1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Ever get shafted by a fellow NESer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ridleyman, Aug 22, 2017.

1. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

I'm selling my Colt HBAR (shameless advertising) w/ammo and mags for a great price mind you, and I get a pm question, an offer, I make a counter offer, and we both agree on the terms via NES pm. So we make a plan to meet and communicate during the day.

The next day I send a text. No response. Several hours later I leave a phone message. No response. Then at night I send another text. Again, no response. Finally, I sent a pm, and I gotta say I was annoyed. I don't expect to hear anything and maybe I'll give him a negative rating.

I have to say that I have met and dealt with many NESers, and this is only the 2nd time that someone went AWOL on me. All of the others have been reliable, honest, and came through. In fact, I virtually always get into great gun and other conversations with them.

So, back to the negative. Has this ever happened, and what did you do?

2. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Shit happens. People generally suck, sometimes even here. Give it an hour then have an adult libation.

1 person likes this.
  3. iofneedle

iofneedle NES Member

I've done 60 transactions...all good. Met a lot of nice folks.

Gotta neg feedback if a no show after agreeing on price and location/time. Others might need to know.

1 person likes this.
  4. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I've only had great experiences and met good people.

The fact that you had a deal then communication stopped would piss me off because now you're in a damned if you do, damned if you don't corner.

Put it back up for the agreed price and if he calls tell him to FOAD then neg rep him. [smile]

5. eboos

eboos

I've had it happen in business more times than I can count, but so far, I haven't done any NES deals.

When I was selling motorcycles, I had a similar case with someone from a local motorcycle forum. Unbelievable considering that I also hooked this guy up so he could do his first trackday.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. sevenMMmag

sevenMMmag

maybe he died

7. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I would give it a few days... i had a deal go bad...no show no communication nothing. Then i found out the truck I passed that was all smashed up
    turned out to be the buyer.... Few weeks later he called and we finally did the deal.

I have had a few NES'rs sell something from under me after agreeing on price and a meet up.

8. TLB

TLB

Sometimes serious things happen that cause someone to be totally focused on something else. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt on that, but I would move on and relist. They should understand given they have not stayed in touch.

1 person likes this.
  9. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

thats why the feedback rating is there... I certainly don't wanna deal with this guy or someone like him potentially in the future..I d give him a few days and then if no word neg him up

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

I've been stood up after agreeing to deal terms on here a couple of times. In at least one case I suspect the guy died - it was that strange and abrupt, and he hasn't been back on here since as far as I can tell.

Honestly, I'd rather get stood up before actually getting into a car to meet someone than to have people pull some of the other shit I've seen, which is trying to renegotiate the agreed price while we're sitting in the parking lot (for no reason other than he didn't want to spend that much). Aside from one other situation where some douchebag sold me range ammo in carry ammo boxes I've had nothing but dozens and dozens of great experiences. NES is good people.

11. TomMontana

TomMontana NES Member

That's only one business day you gave him to respond. Maybe he was occupied by work or personal emergency. If the potential buyer is actively posting on NES and not responding back, then that's no good.

12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

This

13. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

No excuse for at least not communicating.

14. 45collector

45collector NES Member

"Shafted" is kinda overkill for your experience OP. More accurately you were annoyed by a tire-kicker. I truly believe a ton of the "disappearing act" people are those who were browsing the forum drunk one night, saw something they thought they couldn't live without, sent out PM's all "I'll take it!" and then realized the next morning they either don't really want it or can't afford it. LOL Hangovers are a bitch.

If however you actually got in your car and drove somewhere to meet someone for a deal that was all hashed out beforehand, and the f*cker never showed up, that is getting shafted, and for that I would leave a neg rep. I have never left a neg rep for someone who backed out of a deal. Whatever. You never know the other guy's story. Move on, because someone else wants what you have.

15. Archilochus

Archilochus

This^ I know we lose our 'net out here occasionally - for days at a time some times (crappy Verizon service). Then there's odd work hours, and.....

16. peterthefish

peterthefish

If you've agreed to meet the next day and he flakes that's annoying but shit happens.

But if we agreed on terms and said we'd do it when we could find a mutually agreeable time / place and you blew up my phone the next day, I'd ignore it because that shit pisses me off.

17. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I had one seller flake after a deal had been agreed, and one tire kicker who wanted me to hold something but couldn't commit to a meeting date within the next two weeks. I moved on and have since stated that first to show with cash gets it in order to filter out the time wasters.

Overall, everyone has been great and for the last few transactions both of us have been early to the meet. Despite a dry spell of sifting through spam-like classified ads, through the years I've found some smokin' deals on parts, found some fantastic guns, and even made a trade that had both parties very happy. I hear that's rare for a trade.

18. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

I know my communications are slow because I have no cell phone and a 10 year old computer (with access to a 3 year old model, from time to time)
    I cannot post my own photos because my polaroid is out of film.
    That said, if I say "I want it"...I want it. If I say "I'll show"... I show.

Instant gratification can be a dirty bitch...

19. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

So far I've bought quite a few things and had them shipped from the NES classifieds, met a couple people in parking lots and done quick deals, won a Karma, and met the guy in a liquor store parking lot, only way it could have been better is if the liquor store was actually open too!, and did a deal in a LGS with a NES member that neither of us even intended to do a deal that day, started talking and next thing I was forking over cash for what he had in his car. All and all had good experiences SO FAR! But don't get me started on Craigslist asswipes that don't show up, or want to renegotiate when we meet, or plain just flake out on a deal.

20. CRSIII

CRSIII

Keys on roof.
    Upper Decker.
    Bang the wife.
    It's the only way.

21. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

For the most part, have had good experiences, but have had backouts, no shows, been sold out from under, and been sold items that had hidden problems.

Still better than Craigslist.

22. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

Sometimes life gets in the way. Usually it's because they are a douchebag but sometimes shit happens. I ended up in the hospital last year for a week with zero notice. I am surprised nobody started a thread on how much of an a$$hole I was for not getting back to them.

23. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Years ago, I used to refurbish items and re-sell them on craigslist. My motto was, the sale isn't complete until the goods were exchanged for money. Just expressing interest without making steps to move further in a reasonable amount of time didn't mean I was holding your item until you were ready. Didn't get any no shows, but a lot of tire kickers, happens everywhere.

24. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

A couple years ago I agreed to a trade that would have taken me close to 90 minutes to drive to. We agreed on the trade and I got an email the night before that the guy needed to reschedule. Gave him the benefit of the doubt and agreed on a time a few days later. Just before that he cancelled again and we rescheduled a 3rd time. Again, he said he couldn't do it and then I never heard from him again. Frustrating because I had taken the ad down during that time.

25. Sentenza

Sentenza

Maybe the guy stared at the eclipse yesterday and got an acute case of Glockomo.

2 people like this.
  26. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Anything could happen, over the first of the month, I was in the white mtns camping,

over aggressive fraud dept on my MasterCard, saw charges from north n.h.
    tried only to call my cell ph. To confirm, and shut off my card.

i had had no service, but did have wifi, but they sent no email , dinks.

so shut off my card.
    it starts this chain reaction,

card declined getting food,

autopay on cell phone doesn't go through, phone shut off.

auto pay on storage unit declined, locked out out of facility where I keep atv.

called bank ,was told to eff off, after I told them all charges were mine on tape, and turn my card back on.

they would not send new card to a bank branch in Conway, for me to pick up,

only send a new new card to my home address on cape cod , in 7 to 10 days.

major pain in the ass.

took me a week to unf**k everything.

1 person likes this.
  27. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

His wife probably found out and killed the deal, have a little sympathy [wink][rofl]

1 person likes this.
  28. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

I was traveling on business when I lost my Chase Visa (left it on an airplane). They overnighted a replacement card to the office I was working at (not an on-file address for my card) the next day. Needless to say, I am still a customer.

1 person likes this.
  29. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Neg him in itrader no "maybe" about it. Use better due dilligence next time. Whoever it is, talk on the phone before you close the deal. I can't quite put it into words but I think this stops a lot of problems up
    front. It is kind of a shit test- if they are unwilling to have a phone convo with you, they're probably sneaky or on the fence. It also gives both parties a chance to ask any questions that might come to mind that didn't happen during the email exchange.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  30. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

Did just what you suggested with a craigslist tire kicker, and had a phone convo with him. After 2 phone convos, He backs out of deal Next day I send him a text asking if we could find another way to make the deal happen, for the next 3 days he sends me nasty texts and leaves really nasty messages on my voice mail, NEVER EVER giving my phone number to a tirekicker again . Email me and make the deal or I move on to the next tire kicker, I have an email set up just for craigslist or even NES sales.