Ever do some thing this stupid?

I can't belive that after 40 years of cleaning .45's I did this.

I took apart my S&W 1911 while sitting at my desk. I pulled the drawer open where I keep all my cleaning supplies and turned the tv on.

I just finished cleaning all the parts and all of a sudden my office is full of my guys asking me questions and the phones are ringing off the hook, so I put the 1911 back together before I lose some thing. I put down the gun and start talking to my guys.

My Son walks in and says what did you do to your .45?

I looked down at the .45 it's not together. I had never put it on the frame. The frame is seating on one side of the desk and the slide is seating by it self on the other side, I had put the slide together by it's self. Which has always been is impossibile to do untill now. The spring was outside of the plug, sticking out the end of the slide, and the guide rod was in at a angle and bound up in to the frame. The only way to get it out is to take a hacksaw and cut the rod. I called S&W and they laughed and sent me a shipping label no charge to fix it.

I've made some foolish mistakes putting guns together in my life time but this was the worst one.

Last edited:
This is why I love full length guide rods... I can put it together in pieces if I wish.

Adam

Stupid? Yeah... top winner here.

Bugs100 said:
<SNIP> I've made some foolish mistakes putting guns together in my life time but this was the worst one.

Well, since its confessional time, I'll share my absolute worst firearm incident of my life.

My story takes us back to the days of yore, when I was patrol cop, working the Midwatch (8p-4a). Hated that shift. Great for the high crime, but hard on the body.

Anyway, I was done for the night - no hits, no run, No errors, nobody left on base - and was undressing downstairs in the back room where I kept my uniform and leather.

My backup at the time was the AMT 380. Decent weapon, but seriously flawed as I found out. Of course, 99% of the fault was mine. Here goes.
  • Unholster service weapon. Make safe.
  • Off with the utility belt (Batman had nothing on me. [smile] ),
  • Unholster backup (from pants pocket). Make safe, store........
And here begins the problem. I was tired, and wasn't paying attention. To make the backup safe (something I had done many times before), I'd drop the clip and cycle the slid for the one in the chamber. This time I reversed the process. [thinking]

Yeah, you see the problem now. Round in my hand, clip in my hand. All is well, eh? nuh uh.[hmmm]

Before I put the backup in its lockbox, I noticed the slid hadn't returned all the way forward. And with my right hand holding the weapon (at least pointed in a safe direction), I pushed the slide forward. Why? Who knows what I was thinking at 0dark30.

So what happened? [mg] AD Baby! [crying] the small 380 seemed really loud in the dark silence of the house.

To say I was stunned and shocked is an understatement. I stood there, dumfounded and waiting to hear steps running down the stairs, my then wife in a state (she hated the job and guns in the house).

Hearing continued silence, I proceeded to see what I had damaged. I checked the back wall of the closet and couldn't find any holes. Strange, so I began checking the uniform pieces and coats. My aforementioned wife's brand, spanking new leather coat with fur trimmed collar was in there.

And what did I hit? You guessed it![sad] And not only one hole, but several as the round went through the folds of the hanging coat. SEVERAL! BRAND NEW LEATHER COAT!

Ahhhh.... The first and (hopefully) last AD of my life. [rolleyes]

I also decided that the 380 wasn't powerful enough to do the job since the round had a problem killing a coat.

Of course, the ex thought it was funny (I think my serious, end of the world look and demeanor when I went to discuss it with her, eased the tension some).

The incident became a great story at parties (my expense, of course).

RJ

Jaxon, that reminds me of an incident that happened while I was Regular Army.

We had been to the Rifle Range, and the Armorer left his 1911A1 in the cab of the truck. An E-5 from Supply picked it up, and went down to the Arms Room. He cleared it by racking the slide, forgetting the mag, then pulling the trigger (in the Arms Room). BANG! Thankfully he had pointed it intto a corner. Then he proceeded to wave it all over the place and say he didn't know it was loaded.

Fortunately for him, a Master Sergeant beat me to the Arms Room and him. I had been helping unload racks (with the Armorer). You see, my wife was the Assistant Armorer, and she was in the Arms Room when it happened. Needless to say, the MSG saved the guy a VERY unpleasant experience.

I wasn't humoured. If I had got there first, it wouldn't have been pretty. Needless to say, the E-5 caught a LOT of crap for it. Our Company Commander was a Grunt (Infantry), and he was less humoured than me, it that was possible.

When I was in Vietnam I did 6 months of night ambush patrols in the rubber plantions in Xuan Loc. Every night 22 of us would go out and get dropped of in the middle of no where. Walk a couple of miles in the dark and setup a ambush near a trail or road.

Every morning when we came back old Sgt. Willy Weeks the mess sargent would make us breakfast any thing we wanted. He was a big kind hearted real gruff guy, who yelled alot to hide his affection for us. Every morning he would count heads as we walked in. On the mornings we had a short count he would never say any thing, but seemed to know in advance and would bring out a couple of cases of beer for us with breakfast and then go into his office and cry.

He had a cook Jimmy, who every morning would beg him to let him go out with us. He would stand there and jump up and down yelling come on Sarge I just want to get out this kitchen just once to see what they do. He would just say to Jimmy, you don't want to go out there young trooper.

One day he came up to us and said, I can't take it any more can you take him out. So the night came we were taking him out and Big Willy Weeks walks out on the tarmac and says to us before lift off, make sure you bring back my young trooper.

We lost him, Jimmy hit a tripwire to a claymore and took with him 2 more guys that night.

The next morning there was a sign on the mess halll door. All night ambush guys have to eat all their meals at Hq. from now on.

Our Captain told us later that day, that every night Sgt. Willy would walk out and watch us take off every night and then lay awake all night next to the radio listening to us. He just couldn't take it any more.

Bugs100 said:
I can't belive that after 40 years of cleaning .45's I did this.

I took apart my S&W 1911 while sitting at my desk. I pulled the drawer open where I keep all my cleaning supplies and turned the tv on.

I just finished cleaning all the parts and all of a sudden my office is full of my guys asking me questions and the phones are ringing off the hook, so I put the 1911 back together before I lose some thing. I put down the gun and start talking to my guys.

My Son walks in and...

Thank God you didn't mention something about ammunition in the next couple sentences. Glad everybody was OK.

Back
Top Bottom