• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever Completely humbled by your gun snobbery?

bob6180

NES Member
Was at Cape Gun Works this morning struggling to break in my p365 and realizing its just too small for my hands when a fellow sauntered over to say hello and offered me to shoot his Springfield 9mm. I've never liked the look of them, the handle safety etc... but I'll be damned if I didn't shoot it perfectly. I dumped 2 mags at a good pace and had excellent groupings. Better than my VP9 and (sadly) better than my G19. Now I feel like I need to reevaluate everything.... 🙄

The p365 definitely isnt friendly to big hands, been there done that. Anyway.....

I use to be very anti-revolver, to me it was a fudd gun that had no use, it was nothing but Dirty Harry nostalgia keeping the revolver alive.
One day i jokingly decided to put my fathers Model 60 in a leather sleeve, slid it into my pocket. I was pleasantly surprised how well it disappeared.
I carry it all the time now.
My friends accused me of severe flip flopping due to my severe revolver hate commando talk. i conceded and took it on the chin like a man.

I thought Glocks were overrated until I bought one. Now I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

When i first got my LTC in 2012, i wanted a 1911, i wanted nothing to do with a Glock. The Honda civic of pistols was my attitude, i wanted a Mercedes
I shot one and fell in love, the rest is history. I bought one 1911 about 5 years later, only just to have, and never shoot it

I don't have "gun snobbery." I shoot just as bad with everything I own, either hand. Sometimes I just shoot less bad with a better gun. I scored near perfect though with a new to me Shield 9mm on my firearms shooting qual in TX for my LTC. This is probably the second (or 3rd) cheapest gun I have ever owned but it shoots pretty well.

People shit on ugly girls and Rugers all day. Then they try one and sometimes are pleasantly surprised.

I've had about a dozen people try my Mini-14 and SR40 (yes I know it's a four-tay but I bought it during the great Obama ammo shortage) and be pleasantly surprised.

Have to admit I used to complain about how ugly the SR-series was, until I shot an SR9C. Ended up buying one the next day. While it may not be my favorite gun, it's up there. I also have no need for a Springfield XD or XDS (currently have a G43), but really like what I see and hear about them

No snobbery but 20 years ago 1st gun (smith and Wesson not my brothers Sig) and I was getting terrible groupings after several boxes. I was at Bob's in Salsbury and asked if they had a sight pusher. Guy behind the counter ask why? I explain and he comes out to the firing line. Looks the gun over quickly, loads a magazine, wiffles several rounds in a close group centered on the target. Puts the gun down, looks at me and says "there's nothing wrong with that gun" and walks away.

😂

Was at Cape Gun Works this morning struggling to break in my p365 and realizing its just too small for my hands when a fellow sauntered over to say hello and offered me to shoot his Springfield 9mm. I've never liked the look of them, the handle safety etc... but I'll be damned if I didn't shoot it perfectly. I dumped 2 mags at a good pace and had excellent groupings. Better than my VP9 and (sadly) better than my G19. Now I feel like I need to reevaluate everything.... 🙄

Well, after all, it's a 1911.

I thought Glocks were overrated until I bought one. Now I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I don’t know about them being the bees knees, but I thought they were overrated too. Now I own two of them. Good guns, and quite fun when you put an optic on them.

i like the XD mod 2 pistols. they shoot well for me. the firing mechanism is simple. triggers are excellent. if they did away with the ambi mag release and put a rear slide plate that actually covered up the back of the slide i would be more into the pistols. the grip safety provides a mechanism to holster it with the trigger deactivated, which is a nice optional safety buffer for the user. i ditched my M&P, FN 509 and some other striker pistols but the XD will likely stay. mine has been 100% reliable.

the springfield XDE is also a winner. in the rare circumstances I cannot fit my beretta 92 then i carry the XD-E.

Me? I always thought Taurus sucked. Then I shot one. From that moment on, I KNEW they sucked.

Really? I had one of their revolvers and it was a nice gun for short money. Granted, no comparison to my 1973 model 15, but right up there with newer smiths. Never tried a Taurus auto though.

I don’t know about them being the bees knees, but I thought they were overrated too. Now I own two of them. Good guns, and quite fun when you put an optic on them.

I have to agree. The 1911 is my first love, but I do have 3 glocks, that have green laser/light combinations. Pretty effective tools.

I carried a Glock 22 for 15 years. It was a duty pistol for 4 years and I took multiple 1000 round classes with it. Probably had 10 or 11,000 rounds through it. It ran flawlessly. In all those rounds it never malfunctioned. That said and after carrying a Python for 10 years that felt right the first time and I could drive nails with effortlessly on demand... I never loved my Glock. I sold it a few months ago. I had to work to learn how to shoot the Glock. That coupled with gun snobbery would not allow me to embrace my Tupperware gun... that ran without fault forever. I am toting a 1911 these days. I paid a wheelbarrow load of dough for it. I like it. It like 1911s I have owned if kept clean and fed with Wilson mags will run good for awhile. That malfunction is out there though after it gets dirty. I am replacing my Tupperware with more Tupperware this weekend. I will never love it like the Python or my 1911 but if the fecal matter hits the air circulator... I will trust it.

I tell new Trap shooters to find a gun that fits, physically and mentally. An 870 with rust that fits and breaks clays is better than an expensive gun that doesn't fit.

I hate the feel of my kid's Ruger target pistol...that's why I shoot a High Standard.

Try before you hate.
I too don't care for the Ruger Mark, just very heavy and not comfortable. The S&W Victory I handled once felt like a dream and the price for them is hard to beat too.

Me? I always thought Taurus sucked. Then I shot one. From that moment on, I KNEW they sucked.
Really? I had one of their revolvers and it was a nice gun for short money. Granted, no comparison to my 1973 model 15, but right up there with newer smiths. Never tried a Taurus auto though.
I have two Taurus guns, an older Aluminum frame PT-22 and a Public Defender Judge. The auto is okay, but there are issues feeding at times and I can't tell if it's the gun, the mags that came with the gun, or the ammo. I wouldn't buy any of the newer poly framed ones tho.

The Public Defender I can't make a full determination on yet because I haven't shot .45 Colt in it, but .410 is a short range affair. 3 pellet 000 Buck is cheap, pleasant recoil and pretty inaccurate, 4 pellet Federal seems more accurate, but you feel the recoil (and lighter wallet) with that. The good news is the trigger pull is fine in DA and in SA it's scary light and crisp. That's one reason I can't wait to shoot some .45 Colt in it, could be really good out to 10-15 yards.

That said, I do have some issues with the DA trigger pull. If I pull it too fast in rapid fire, the trigger locks up and I either have to cock the hammer for SA or open and close the cylinder. I would send it back to get it fixed, but Taurus customer service is shit from all I hear.

When I was in college, I wanted a PPK/s in the worst way. Couldn’t get the money together, but always wanted one. Years later, found a rental at a range and finally got to shoot one. Tore two parallel grooves onto the web of my hand where the slide rode over the web of my thumb. I bled like a stick pig. Screw this! Fast forward 30 years, and my FIL buys one and we go to the range. I think “Well, I was just holding it wrong. I’m much more skilled now.” I shoot his. Two parallel ruts in the web of my hand. Much bleeding. You can still see the scars if you look close.

I use that story in my NRA Basic Pistol class under the category of “Try before you buy.”

When I was in college, I wanted a PPK/s in the worst way. Couldn’t get the money together, but always wanted one. Years later, found a rental at a range and finally got to shoot one. Tore two parallel grooves onto the web of my hand where the slide rode over the web of my thumb. I bled like a stick pig. Screw this! Fast forward 30 years, and my FIL buys one and we go to the range. I think “Well, I was just holding it wrong. I’m much more skilled now.” I shoot his. Two parallel ruts in the web of my hand. Much bleeding. You can still see the scars if you look close.

I use that story in my NRA Basic Pistol class under the category of “Try before you buy.”

I bought a Remington R1 Talo edition years ago. I had not fired a 1911 since boot camp and wanted to see how I liked the platform, figuring if I liked it, I would sell it off and buy a higher end 1911 and if I didn't, I would sell it and just move on. It was around the time Ruger 1911's were all being sent back due to rust issues, and I just hate Ruger anyway. The Talo came with a match grade barrel but I was not expecting much.
So I took it to the range, and was surprised at how naturally the gun pointed when drawn and how easily I was able to ring steel on the plinking range. Now I figured I have to take it to the indoor range and see how I am grouping. I am by no means a great shooter, but can usually shoot a respectable group. I had thrown on a set of Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves because someone here had mentioned how much it reduced recoil and improved the grip.
This target was at 50', shooting off hand, indoors. And that was with just Federal Target ammo. The gun is way more accurate than I will ever be, and I have kept it as kind of a "beater" gun when taking newbies to the range, so I don't have to let them shoot one of my nicer 1911's.
45 TARGET.jpg

i like them too. glock had it figured out from day one, make a simple auto pistol for not a lot of money that runs out of the box and add to that a super warranty program and boom...you shit gold, not bricks. as far as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, nope. the american v-8 engine is.

On a whim, I bought CZ82, because, well, it looked cool and seemed to fit my hand like a glove. It stayed in my safe unshot (by me) for several years until one day I decided to take it to the range. Holy cow! The groups I was getting right out of the box were, well frankly, impressive. The only downside is it's a 9x18 Mak...I wish it had been made in 9mm.

My carry gun is a 9mm Sig Pro 2022, considered their ugly, castoff step child. I love the stupid thing. It's dead accurate and fun to shoot...and didn't cost me an arm and a leg like many Sigs would have.

I want a PPK/S, but know how bad they are as shooters. Damn you James Bond!

Back
Top Bottom