• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Even the Kittery Trading Post.......

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Just got back from a few days up in Maine. It was a winter wonderland up there. Had over a foot of snow up in Freeport and every store except LL Bean was closed yesterday. Anyway on the way home we stopped in Kittery and as usual, I went into the Trading Post to check out the gun section. Well, lets just say that the buying frenzy is alive and well there as well. There had to be close to 100 people in the gun section. They had 10 people working the NICS checks and there was a deep line waiting their turn to talk with them. The racks, which are usually overflowing with consignment guns, were half empty. The same was true for the handgun cases with a number of sections that were empty. The handgun cases are usually so filled that they stack some of them on top of each other. Not anymore. Even the ammo section was pretty well picked over. No surprise, there were no ARs to be found.

For the first time ever I left there without buying anything.

I stopped in on my way north on Saturday to get ammo for the weekend - it was absolutely insane. There were people stacked up actually waiting on gun purchases and there was no chance whatsoever of getting a clerk to help you unless you had an extra couple of hours.

I also stopped at LL Beans to get a gift card and I looked at their gun section for the first time in years (usually too expensive to even consider) and I was surprised to find a used gun section. They don't have much for sporting rifles, but the used guns were all in fantastic shape - a clerk told me most of them were displays at various gun shops around the country some of which went out of business. Made the price of a used gun at Beans almost on par with a new gun most other places :)

Went to ktp the first time yesterday. Got a good deal on a used caliber conversion set for the dillon, a bullet puller die, and powder drop die. Also grabbed some powder. They said they sold over 300 ARs in a couple days.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

You guys are going to KTP at the wrong time. My dad's been going there for the last 40 years and I've been going for the last decade. The best time is 8:00 at night on a weeknight (alternatively, the other best time is right when they open at 9am to 10am weekdays). I was just there tonight at 8:15. There was a decent amount of people browsing, saw a couple applications and one name on the NICS board. Was super easy to get a clerk's attention to look at a handgun.

There were almost no semi-automatic rifles. I saw like 4-5 hunting semiautomatic rifles (Browning BAR, etc), the new AO paratrooper M1 carbine that never sells and a Springfield M1 Garand in 308 with a custom stock for $1850.

I was at KTP over the weekend - and black rifle shelf was pretty much picked clean, most of the people looked to be buying hunting type rifles or shotguns as Christmas presents.

For the gun buying spree to have a real effect it would be nice to see all those racks of wooden stocked guns go empty.

That would really send a message

You guys are going to KTP at the wrong time. My dad's been going there for the last 40 years and I've been going for the last decade. The best time is 8:00 at night on a weeknight (alternatively, the other best time is right when they open at 9am to 10am weekdays). I was just there tonight at 8:15. There was a decent amount of people browsing, saw a couple applications and one name on the NICS board. Was super easy to get a clerk's attention to look at a handgun.

There were almost no semi-automatic rifles. I saw like 4-5 hunting semiautomatic rifles (Browning BAR, etc), the new AO paratrooper M1 carbine that never sells and a Springfield M1 Garand in 308 with a custom stock for $1850.

You are spot on, I worked there about 10 years ago while I was in school and the week night shift, it would get so slow.

Ive been to KTP numerous times and have yet to buy anything besides odd fishing things.

it's an over priced tourist attraction

This. Ive traded and bought a few guns there occasionally the prices are ok on certain things. People tell me cabelas does better on gun trades up there though.

The majority of thier stuff is high priced. Its one of the first places the city slickers go when shit like this ban talk happens

I did manage to find a nice semi-auto mossberg 9200 there a few months ago, even found a rifled barrel for it the next time I went back. sure its a tourest trap, but for us ma**h***s it was about the biggest selection of used guns and the prices where that bad...(and no taxs paid to mass which is always a plus)

I've bought guns occasionally there over the years - like Pat said, the used deals seem to be where it's at. I know their new pistol prices are higher than MA and they won't sell you a used pistol even if it's MA compliant. I bought a nice Remington 870 there this summer for $200 or $225. I haven't seen too many deals better than that in MA. Like most places, hit and miss.

I stop there almost every time I go to Maine. Ammo prices are usually ok, but I find if I just buy what's on sale I usually do pretty good.

I'm one of those that like to browse the racks to see what gem might be hiding somewhere. So far I haven't bought a gun from them yet. I have bought some used reloading equipment for a good price and ammo from time to time when they were running a special. There's only one time that I passed on buying a lever action in 357 mag that I still kick myself to this day about.

I went up last weekend to pick up a MA Compliant S&W M&P-15 Sport (5.56/.223). In my defense I have been planning to get this AR for some time now, and had to move my buying timeline slightly to avoid waiting an indefinite amount of time for another chance to buy one.

But, I digress, It was my first time in many years going to KTP and it was packed. I waited 25 minutes before getting the attention of a clerk, 1 hour 25 minutes for my name to appear "on the board," 15 minutes to sign my name, 45 minutes in line to check out, and 15 more minutes to sign my name at the register. Walked out with a decent firearm, no ammo for it, and only the one 10 round magazine it came with... Coolest looking paperweight I have ever bought!

Posted via my iPhone, please ignore all typos or moronic statements, they are all due to the phone.

Ive been to KTP numerous times and have yet to buy anything besides odd fishing things.

it's an over priced tourist attraction

yup. i think i bought 100 rounds of .45 one time because i had a pin shoot the next day. woulda done the same thing had i been at a wally world.

Talked to two buddies, one in La., one in Tx. Both said the shelves were bare. Nothing. No ammo, no semi auto rifles or handguns. A few revolvers and a few bolt rifles, mostly in small calibers. Shotguns were all gone too! NO shot shell on the shelves at all! Nothing! NADA! It's crazy!

Talked to two buddies, one in La., one in Tx. Both said the shelves were bare. Nothing. No ammo, no semi auto rifles or handguns. A few revolvers and a few bolt rifles, mostly in small calibers. Shotguns were all gone too! NO shot shell on the shelves at all! Nothing! NADA! It's crazy!

Same story from some people I know in Northern MS, UT (near SLC), and AZ (near Phoenix).

Yep.. my buddy down in TX just outside Houston said the same..

That-Is-Excellent-MrBurns.jpg

Back
Top Bottom