Ethanol Free Gas

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ethanol is only "cheaper" because of government subsidies for corn production.
Government subsidies of Ethanol production ended January 1, 2012 and have not been reinstated. Extending the subsidies into 2012 never even came up for a vote.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Government subsidies of Ethanol production ended January 1, 2012 and have not been reinstated. Extending the subsidies into 2012 never even came up for a vote.
I'm not talking about ethanol subsidies, though those were in place as you mentioned. The government subsidizes corn production in this country. Most ethanol produced in this country comes from corn, so what I said is still true.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you (or anyone else for that matter) ballpark a price on it, just out of curiousity? We always used to talk about filling up the bikes with 100LL but never did.
100LL is available for $5.19 in Stow, MA. $5.40 at Westfield. $5.66 in Northampton, MA. $5.70 in Orange, MA.
Or you can go to Bedford, MA and spend well over $7.
http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

I did the 100LL in the bike thing with a Harley I had 10 years ago. It was a TC88 with a carb. Dialed in, it ran great.

ETA: plenty of airplanes are injected, but I'm sure the injectors aren't anything like automotive/motorcycle injectors. Don't run leaded fuel in anything with an O2 sensor or catalytic convertor.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm not talking about ethanol subsidies, though those were in place as you mentioned. The government subsidizes corn production in this country. Most ethanol produced in this country comes from corn, so what I said is still true.
The federal subsidies to corn growers (4.2 billion in 2011) are less than 10% of total industry revenue, and account for about 1/3 of the total price difference between Ethanol and Gasoline. What's more, the subsidies are half crop insurance subsidies that the government recieves intrest on if the insurance does not need to be collected. The resulting cost offset is small, about 6% of the original outlay, but it does reduce the governments cost.

And if you compare the grain growers subsidy to other domestic manufacturing subsides (like the upto 6% oil manufacturers get for manufacturing gasoline in the US) its having an even smaller effect on the relative price between Ethanol and Gasoline.

The price difference maybe marginally affected by subsidies, but that is not the main cause.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ETA: You want the 260 GT or 260 GTX fuel. You can buy it in 5 gal pails. Bring money! lots of money!
I googled 260GT...came up with this web site: http://www.racegas.com/fuel/17

Under the technical details it says it's 9% ethanol by volume? Maybe they add something to it to improve the phase separation properties of the ethanol. I'm guessing they must b/c they say you can store it for a year.

Looks like you would have to pay a $1/gal premium to buy booze-free gas at the Hampton, NH airport.
http://www.hamptonairfield.com/
I usually go up to Portsmouth NH / Kittery ME few times a summer. Maybe I'll bring half a dozen 5 gal tanks and stop by Hampton Airfield. I only burn about 70 gal/year in my bike.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I googled 260GT...came up with this web site: http://www.racegas.com/fuel/17

Under the technical details it says it's 9% ethanol by volume? Maybe they add something to it to improve the phase separation properties of the ethanol. I'm guessing they must b/c they say you can store it for a year.

I usually go up to Portsmouth NH / Kittery ME few times a summer. Maybe I'll bring half a dozen 5 gal tanks and stop by Hampton Airfield. I only burn about 70 gal/year in my bike.
OK here's what you do you take your gas cans down to the local airport and you tell the line guy that you have an air boat with a Continental O-360 in it and you want to go out and run it. He'll fill your cans. Done. Make sure it is Blue when he pumps it. That's 100LL. I imagine your bike would run like crap on the Red stuff (leaded - they haven't delivered that shit in 20+ years, but it is still around).

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
mmmmmmmm Blue ! ( in my best Homer Simpson voice)

Nothing like checking for water at the 3 tap points to get a wiff of the good stuff.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was working at a dealership a couple years ago we had a small underground fuel tank for filling sold cars. There was a nasty wet snow/slush storm and the seal for the tank in the parking lot was screwed up. I had to pump about 100 gallons of contaminated fuel out of brand new vehicles because of the water in the tanks. Sounds bad, right? Wrong. The water attached itself to the alcohol in the fuel when it sat in the gas caddy. After it separated I got about 2 months worth of free, unadulterated gasoline.

Big Daddy 45acp

Instructor
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
When I was working at a dealership a couple years ago we had a small underground fuel tank for filling sold cars. There was a nasty wet snow/slush storm and the seal for the tank in the parking lot was screwed up. I had to pump about 100 gallons of contaminated fuel out of brand new vehicles because of the water in the tanks. Sounds bad, right? Wrong. The water attached itself to the alcohol in the fuel when it sat in the gas caddy. After it separated I got about 2 months worth of free, unadulterated gasoline.
So, buy the crap at the pumps, add water and wait? How long does it take to separate?

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A small Shell gas station in North Falmouth on 28A sells Sunoco racing fuel. Thats where I buy most of my motorcycle fuel. I have two 10 gallon cans of of stored at the house as well.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, buy the crap at the pumps, add water and wait? How long does it take to separate?
That would be smart if the ethanol had no energy content.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm bumping this thread rather than starting a new one because the subject hasn't come up in a few years but the previous posts are still relevant.

I found this link to a site that lists all the places in the US and Canada where ethanol free gas can be purchased.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Here's the specific page for New Hampshire:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NH

They're currently listing 17 gas stations in NH that have it.
I've been using the stuff in my ATV and all my garden equipment small engines for several years now and it makes a HUGE difference.

I was previously getting it at Freedom Market in Freedom NH, but they closed up back in September.
Last Summer they sold 91 octane ethanol free gas for $3.86 a gallon, the pump itself was unbranded but I was told by Wayne (the former owner) that it came from Irving in Canada.
When Wayne owned the place, they were a convenience store and gun shop, but I just recently learned that they reopened under new ownership as a discount beverage store.
They don't yet have the new permits to operate the fuel pumps but they do plan to continue carrying ethanol free gas.

The site lists a Sunoco station not too far from me on W. Hollis st. in Nashua, they also show it in three different octane levels. (93,100 & 110) I'll have to check it out and see what the prices are.

Haffners in Hudson has 110 octane CAM 2 ethanol free racing fuel for $9.10 a gallon, but there's no friggin' way I'm paying that much for it.

In the meantime, I still have a full tank in the ATV (which I installed a plow on) and about 10 gallons in jugs in the shed, so I should be all set for the rest of the Winter with what I have, unless we get a few more blizzards like last year.

CoastieRon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm bumping this thread rather than starting a new one because the subject hasn't come up in a few years but the previous posts are still relevant.

I found this link to a site that lists all the places in the US and Canada where ethanol free gas can be purchased.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Here's the specific page for New Hampshire:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NH

They're currently listing 17 gas stations in NH that have it.
I've been using the stuff in my ATV and all my garden equipment small engines for several years now and it makes a HUGE difference.

I was previously getting it at Freedom Market in Freedom NH, but they closed up back in September.
Last Summer they sold 91 octane ethanol free gas for $3.86 a gallon, the pump itself was unbranded but I was told by Wayne (the former owner) that it came from Irving in Canada.
When Wayne owned the place, they were a convenience store and gun shop, but I just recently learned that they reopened under new ownership as a discount beverage store.
They don't yet have the new permits to operate the fuel pumps but they do plan to continue carrying ethanol free gas.

The site lists a Sunoco station not too far from me on W. Hollis st. in Nashua, they also show it in three different octane levels. (93,100 & 110) I'll have to check it out and see what the prices are.

Haffners in Hudson has 110 octane CAM 2 ethanol free racing fuel for $9.10 a gallon, but there's no friggin' way I'm paying that much for it.

In the meantime, I still have a full tank in the ATV (which I installed a plow on) and about 10 gallons in jugs in the shed, so I should be all set for the rest of the Winter with what I have, unless we get a few more blizzards like last year.
Thank you! I hadn't thought about this until I got jet skis. It might be worth my while....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June4th

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0

CTpatriot

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Want ethanol free go buy 3 gallons of gas, add 1 gallon of water, shake and pour off the top 2.7 gallons of gas. If octane is a big concern do some research into what you have left. Pour water alcohol mix out on driveway.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
CAM2 is leaded, so that is bad for most uses.
Not all CAM 2 is leaded, only the higher octane rated stuff has lead.
You can't use it in anything with a catalytic converter because lead will ruin the cat short order, which is basically any unmodified car made after 1973.
It's fine for small engines which don't have cats, such as your typical lawn mower, weedwhacker, chainsaw, snowblower, generator, pressure washer, go cart, moped, scooter, log splitter etc.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The VP Racing Gas blend made for small engines - that I bought something like 2 years ago - is still working good.

I just poured the last of it into my Honda Generator yesterday - and the thing started right up.

I've also bought ethanol free at the North Hampton NH airport.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
but is it ethanol free?

I know the crap NASCAR is using is a E15 blend of Sunoco fuel
Nascar doesn't give a shit about gasoline sitting around in a tank for more than probably about 1 hour.

Nascar is also basically just a huge marketing gimmick. They'd mandate that all their cars be shaped like dildos if Vivid was paying to run the race series.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Want ethanol free go buy 3 gallons of gas, add 1 gallon of water, shake and pour off the top 2.7 gallons of gas. If octane is a big concern do some research into what you have left. Pour water alcohol mix out on driveway.
Well, if you already put this here, allow me to sharpen this point.

This is courtesy of MES member mibro:

You need a funnel or jug with a bell shape (narrow end down, I think they're called "separation funnels"), with a valve on the bottom end. Gasoline and distilled water.

Amazing, but carburetors do not get cleaner by the fluoride in our drinking water, go figure.
(And the other impurities in our water are not something you need in your gasoline, so - use distilled water).

Fill jug with gasoline and add water in 2% ratio. God hates the imperial system, so for 1 Liter of gasoline add 20cc of distilled water.
(Okay, fine! for each gallon of gasoline add roughly 2.4oz of distilled water).

Give the whole thing a subtle shake, wait a few minutes. The ethanol will prefer to enter solution with the distilled water rather than the gasoline, and will gather in the bottom of the jug, open the valve, let the watery part drain, and what's left in the jug now is ethanol free Gasoline.
Rejoice.

My Notes: Ethanol is also used as an octane booster, so it's best to start with 93 or 91 octane to compensate for the octane loss due to ethanol loss, if all you have lying around is 87 octane, consider adding octane booster after the process if your equipment runs not as you'd expect.

This process is not be-all-end-all of carburetor trouble. After long enough storage in equipment gas tanks- humidity will make it through and the gasoline will become stale again, albeit substantially less than gasoline+ethanol.
So, for the long run, adding fuel stabilizers should still be considered.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I'd leave this here so you guys can be just as pissed off with this ethanol crap as I am.
I know I'm a little bit late to the "angry about ethanol" party, but my anger is still valid nevertheless.

And BTW Cruz wanted to end these subsidies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I found another place that sells ethanol free gas, in Gorham on RT 16, just South of the Wal-Mart.
They had 91 octane for only $2.63 a gallon!
The other places I know of in Ossippe and Freedom were still $3.29 a gallon, so it was a no brainer where we filled up the ATV's and few cans.
I brought five gallons home for the yard equipment, it makes the weedwacker and chainsaw very happy.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Everytime I'm down in the Carolinas I see EtOH free gas everywhere. A quickie Mart called QuikTrip carries it in almost every station.

Yet another reason I'm moving south......

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I remember my father sending me to get Christy's Dry Gas in the winter. It is basically ethanol, to keep your gas lines from icing up. I think I still get some once in a while when it is really cold out, out of habit. I guess we don't need to do that any more then?
Pretty much.....fuel injection and ethanol gas blending has made dry gas a thing of the past.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Everytime I'm down in the Carolinas I see EtOH free gas everywhere. A quickie Mart called QuikTrip carries it in almost every station.

Yet another reason I'm moving south......
yup. Every other gas station seems to have ethanol free. Right now regular is about 1.95. Ethanol free regular is about 2.45. Worth it. My 2012 Ram loves ethanol free. I also like that it's so easy to get all my small engines don't have to have any ethanol in them ever.

And soon, permitleas carry in NC. What's not to like?

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I found another place that sells ethanol free gas, in Gorham on RT 16, just South of the Wal-Mart.
They had 91 octane for only $2.63 a gallon!
The other places I know of in Ossippe and Freedom were still $3.29 a gallon, so it was a no brainer where we filled up the ATV's and few cans.
I brought five gallons home for the yard equipment, it makes the weedwacker and chainsaw very happy.
Just filled up the jetski with ethanol free from Ossipee lake country store this weekend, alittle more expensive, but worth it. Plus they were covered in trump signs and banners during the election season, so I feel better supporting them.

Top Bottom