Ethanol Free Gas

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy ethanol free gas in Boston metro west area? I want it for my motorcycle. I was thinking Hanscom, I don't think the FAA allows ethanol in small aircraft.

Thanks in advance.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hampton NH at the airport. Search for airports that sell 'mogas'. Mogas is ethanol free unleaded gasoline. Hanscom field doesn't sell it. Most airports sell 100 octane leaded fuel - 100LL aka 'avgas'.

SJan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hampton NH at the airport. Search for airports that sell 'mogas'. Mogas is ethanol free unleaded gasoline. Hanscom field doesn't sell it. Most airports sell 100 octane leaded fuel - 100LL aka 'avgas'.
Thanks. I went to this site: http://www.navzilla.com/mogas.php
The two airfields they list in MA only have 100LL now. As you say Hampton still has it. I'll keep looking.

Wish I could buy ethanol free fuel everywhere.
It'll likely get worse before it gets better: NYT E15 Article

"...say the ethanol manufacturers, which petitioned the E.P.A. to approve E15 for most cars. “The economics are so compelling right now, ethanol being about 90 cents cheaper than gasoline,” said Bob Dinneen, president and chief executive of the Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group."

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Have you priced 100LL lately? Besides the tax issues (you have not paid the Fed or State road use taxes) it is expensive as hell, which is why I am not currently flying.

SJan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Ok, why don't we want ethanol?
The ethanol can weaken and damage some types of plastic that were used in fuel systems on many types of vehicles/ engines. The ethanol also attracts and holds water and will corrode a steel fuel tank from the inside out.

The ethanol also has a lower BTU resulting in loss of performance and effeciancy

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The major manufacturers have already gone on record as saying if E15 is approved, they willl not honor any warranty claims related to fuel system damage related to its use.

E10 has already damaged thousands of boat fuel tanks.

Same with motorcycle tanks that were sealed with polyester resin (Kreme)

And it gums up the carbs in a jap bike in about 3 weeks if it sits.

I have to drain the gas out of the bike in Florida when I leave there for more than a month

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you priced 100LL lately? Besides the tax issues (you have not paid the Fed or State road use taxes) it is expensive as hell, which is why I am not currently flying.
I'm probably 5 years away from getting out of my Skylane and into a Mooney for partially this reason. Also, the price of 100LL includes lots in federal taxes. That is primarily how the FAA is funded.

RB101

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Can you (or anyone else for that matter) ballpark a price on it, just out of curiousity? We always used to talk about filling up the bikes with 100LL but never did.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If your looking for it by the quart. In belmont , turf equipment had some. It's a offset store of true value. If you want to store it for s extended period of time for a chainsaw or something

Down side it's 9 bucks a quart. That's 36 dollars a gallon.

But I can see where a quart could be useful if you store a chainsaw or weedwacker for a longtime

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can you (or anyone else for that matter) ballpark a price on it, just out of curiousity? We always used to talk about filling up the bikes with 100LL but never did.
There might be enough lead in 100LL to destroy the O2 sensors and catalytic converter (if you have those on your bike). The latter might not be a big deal, but the former will reek havoc w/ the ECU (again if you have one).

RB101

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There might be enough lead in 100LL to destroy the O2 sensors and catalytic converter (if you have those on your bike). The latter might not be a big deal, but the former will reek havoc w/ the ECU (again if you have one).
Both ripped out [smile]. But thanks. If its priced @ $36 a gallon as quoted by twinbrook, won't matter anyway. That's just stupid money for a couple hours zipping around.

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea. Heat up the E10 over a nice low fire to about 160F in a copper pot with a nice coil of copper coming out of the top. Save the clear liquid ethanol that comes out of the copper tubing and store it in nice oak barrels, add MTBE to what's left over in the copper pot and fill up the car or bike tank with it. Just be careful when heating up the E10 as this could end up being pretty nasty.[rofl]

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's an idea. Heat up the E10 over a nice low fire to about 160F in a copper pot with a nice coil of copper coming out of the top. Save the clear liquid ethanol that comes out of the copper tubing and store it in nice oak barrels, add MTBE to what's left over in the copper pot and fill up the car or bike tank with it. Just be careful when heating up the E10 as this could end up being pretty nasty.[rofl]
the problem is the gasoline itself boils off at both lower temp and higher temp than the ethanol. Removing the Ethanol by distilling is nearly impossible without both destroying the gasoline and contaminating the ethanol.

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It used to foul the pilot jet on my ZX-11 something fierce when I wouldn't ride it. I had the carbs rebuilt completely with new jets and it would still clog. I got pretty good at tearing it down and getting those pilots out. Sold it and at this point wouldn't buy anything that's not fuel injected.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Last time I flew it was pushing 7 bucks a gallon, but that was refueling in Key West, up here I fly mostly out of Marshfield and I see they are just under 6 bucks a gallon,

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was surprised when I was out in South Dakota last week that you can buy ethanol free gas at most pumps...and that's in the heart of corn/ethanol country. It's about 7-10 cents more a gallon.

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Cam 2 fuel from the race track. A lot of sunoco stations in n.h. Sell it right at the pump. I usually find it near the race tracks. Google it. It has high octane, stores well, no ethanol, and smells AWESOME.
I use it in my high compression motors, and store all my gas powered equipment with it.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy ethanol free gas in Boston metro west area? I want it for my motorcycle. I was thinking Hanscom, I don't think the FAA allows ethanol in small aircraft.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder

type in your ZIP Code for location and you'll get a map with listings of all the Cam 2 fuel sites. Happy Motoring!

ETA: You want the 260 GT or 260 GTX fuel. You can buy it in 5 gal pails. Bring money! lots of money!

Last edited:

crazymikie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't think it's that simple. Gasoline has a stoich ratio of 14.7:1, ethanol is 10:1. I think that translates to a lot less potential energy and less efficiency.

Also, e10 is heavily subsidized. So you are paying more than just the pump price.

And it gets poorer fuel economy too.
the poorer fuel economy is basically a wash when you convert it to price. Ethanol gets about 25% less MPG than gasoline, and costs about 25% less.

E10 drops fuel mileage 3-4%

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the poorer fuel economy is basically a wash when you convert it to price. Ethanol gets about 25% less MPG than gasoline, and costs about 25% less.

E10 drops fuel mileage 3-4%
Ethanol is only "cheaper" because of government subsidies for corn production.

Top Bottom