• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Estate Planning: Who are you leaving your guns too? What is you have no one to leave them too?

One more idea if I ever become terminally ill: I'll convert all my semiauto's to happy-switch and blow my ammo reserve in one happy afternoon. Alphabet bois can suck my snubby after that.

atf-fbi-doj-letsgo-tread-on-their-snakes-15016400.png
If you have MY luck, day after you're busted your doc will contact you and say your blood test was mislabeled and all you have is Gout, and there's an rx waiting for you at the pharmacy...

(If you're into movies, find: God Bless America)

I'm more worried about them finding my raggedy old used Flesh Light collection after I'm dead.

Perhaps I can start a Karma every month for a few years to get rid of them.

I'd be embarrassed to leave them all in the recycling container.
I did not realize they wear out. How many, er, how long do they last?

I wrote in my will my boys will have a "firearms draft". Oldest to youngest, youngest to oldest, etc. Its what my grandfather did, I remember the draft with my father and uncles. It was a bitter sweet memory, and I think we all appreciated the guns even more that we picked when it was our turn because of it.

This.....lot of smart people here that have money because they have no kids!

Im not smart.....

Most definitely! The wife and I would never have the lifestyle we have if we had kids. We were upset when it didn't happen, but later in life watching friends deal with their kids have me wondering how good of a parent I'd have been. Is it wrong to want to spank a friend's kid because they won't????

duh. if one got no kids - what do you need to save those money for?
To enjoy life! In our younger years, we would vacation in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Israel . . . taking 2 2-3 week vacations each year. Meanwhile, my SIL (with 2 kids) only went to stay with a friend on Cape Cod for a week each year . . . in fact, one year we offered her a free week at our timeshare in St. Maarten and her response was "what do I do with the kids" (back then she usually pawned them off on her MIL or Mother). Her kids are smarter and didn't marry until over 40 yo (no kids) and late 30s (2 kids now).

Also, to be able to afford whatever medical care you need late in life as well as stay in your own home as long as possible.

And when you are gone, to donate whatever is left to your favorite charities.
Most definitely! The wife and I would never have the lifestyle we have if we had kids. We were upset when it didn't happen, but later in life watching friends deal with their kids have me wondering how good of a parent I'd have been. Is it wrong to want to spank a friend's kid because they won't????
True.

Not to derail this........

You and your wife would have been fine parents I'm sure......you rise up to it and you deal with it, and they tend to be your #1 priority.

That said.....I would have been able to retire 10 years ago if I didn't have kids..... Definately wouldn't be in this shithole state. I would have lived a way different life.

Everything I do and think about moneywise is so they can have generational wealth like I did not have..........Everything. Still, we went on several vacations every year, and never really had to cut corners on anything. That was because we both worked and made good money and saved. I also did things to save money like work on the house and cars. We were lucky and blessed.

I dont miss "things". I have plenty of "things".............I miss time with my kids now that they are both out of the house, and the memories........my son's grad from WPI this year and my daughters wedding down south. Our whole year is planned out around these.

Next year...no college bills, no wedding bills, everyone out of the house for good, everyone on their own payroll .........its a massive feeling of accomplishment to get to this point. We will go on a trip somewhere...but that's nothing new, we do Florida and South Carolina every year, and usually an all inclusive resort out of the states as well. Retirement is the next big thing for us.

Last edited:
Not to derail this........

You and your wife would have been fine parents I'm sure......you rise up to it and you deal with it, and they tend to be your #1 priority.

That said.....I would have been able to retire 10 years ago if I didn't have kids..... Definately wouldn't be in this shithole state. I would have lived a way different life.

Everything I do and think about moneywise is so they can have generational wealth like I did not have..........Everything.

I dont miss "things". I have plenty of "things".............I miss time with my kids now that they are both out of the house, and the memories........my son's grad from WPI this year and my daughters wedding down south. Our whole year is planned out around these.

Next year...no college bills, no wedding bills, everyone out of the house for good, everyone on their own payroll .........its a massive feeling of accomplishment to get to this point.

That's awesome! Good work.

I did not realize they wear out. How many, er, how long do they last?
They are very lifelike.

If you are rough like in real life - they get injured.

Depending on your appetite and other things - they get worn out every couple months.

Just like the real thing.

A good hunting fishing buddy who is in his late 80's with no relatives and cant get around much anymore gifted all his guns and rods and other outdoor equipment to younger friends who would continue to put it to good use. Said he didn't want any stuff to go into the dumpster or end up at the police station when he was gone.

My will is simple with my children equally splitting what’s worth of anything I leave behind. They both have a LTC and will figure what means what and if not, my daughter will win 🤣

Getting buried with my guns?

Most of my guns already ARE buried.

In 4 different states.

When they come to clean out my house and peel me out of the carpet - there wont be much here.

I'm more worried about them finding my raggedy old used Flesh Light collection after I'm dead.

Perhaps I can start a Karma every month for a few years to get rid of them.

I'd be embarrassed to leave them all in the recycling container.

Attach a picatinny rail to one and combine two hobbies with your new tactical fleshlight!

So the wife and I are starting our estate planning and the question came up as to what I'm going to do with my collection of guns and ammo.... Actually I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. We don't have any kids and nobody in our extended family is all that interested in firearms. I guess options are to leave them to my local gun club, GOAL or sell the entire collection before I die. The selling thing seem sacrilegious to me so I probably will not be doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure my death will be sudden and younger then I would hope. Need to come up with a plan just don't know what that plan will be.

So I know many here will say "Leave them to me!!!". [wink] So who are you leaving your guns too? Do any go to something/someone other then family?

Thanks
Leave them to GOAL. Print the NES thread asking what you should purchase for each gun you purchased. It would make for an epic collection with a thread attached to each gun.

Pretty early to be day drinking already!
If every person here told you to sell your guns next week, only keep 2 or 3, and spend the money having fun, would you do it?

Probably not.

So why ask people what they would do when you already know what you will do?

Exactly why I’m asking as I have no idea what I’m going to do with them. As I said we’re putting our estate plan together and was looking for ideas.

Actually I like Lens’ idea of leaving some to Comm2A.
Comm 2A is a great idea.

Any youth shooting programs as well would be great. Our club has the Youth Pheasant and Youth Turkey......I must say we've never lacked guns though. Our guys are happy to let kids borrow their guns if needed.

In other states that hunting is more popular that may not be the case.......and they may be looking for guns, not really sure.

My gun will go to my Son. My wife's kids are the "cancel my student loan debt" type, and I wouldn't give them the time of day if I didn't have to cause they will tell their mom. Paul

Back
Top Bottom