• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ESS/ICE w/prescription carrier.

Thought I'd start this thread fresh since there has been a decent conversation in Competition Shooting as part of my IDPA questions.

I got my ESS ICE glasses last week. I bought them so I would have them for the August 27th IDPA class at Riverside. These are my first real shooting glasses. I wear prescription glasses 24/7, so there is no side protection and, apart from it just being good common sense to have these, I did not want to have an issue on the 27th.

I ordered the ICE set with the nylon prescription lens insert. My script is just a bit strong in one eye to get away with the thinner prescription carrier.

Ordered the lenses at Cambridge Eye Doctors on Rte 9 in Natick. They had no problem at all with me bringing these "outside" frames in. In fact, the guy that waited on me turned out to be a shooter. Very nice to talk too and knew his stuff regarding his product.

Anyway, the prescription lenses came in today. The carrier/nosepiece pops right into place. Because the script insert is somewhat flexible they contoured to the curned shape of the ICE lens well. The glasses are very comfortable and also very user adjustable, with temples that can be lengthened and bendable earpieces.

The is no disortion through two sets of "glass" and the whole package is very light. Of course, the price, when compared to some other brands is outstanding, and Cambridge Eye Doctors only charged $78.00 to make the lenses. This was less than half what I was quoted at LensCrafters.

The black nylon pouch they came in has separate compartments to hold the other two ICE lenses when not in use. It is held closed by a small Velcro patch. I would prefer a zipper or a larger piece of Velcor, but this is a small detail. Overall, a nice case.

Hopefully we'll get some sun so I can see how well they work as sunglasses, but I am sure they're going to be great for the range as far as safety and comfort go.

Steve

This is good to know. I've been thinking about ordering them as well. But I was wondering what they would cost to have made. I was going to go with LenCrafters, but if Cambridge Eye Doctors is cheaper, then that might be the way to go. There's one in Franklin and Seekonk, both are close to me.

Thanks for this information. I just hope that the cost is the same at all locations. Which Cambridge Eye Doctor location did you go too, if you don't mind me asking?

Just a comment here... I stopped going to a chain after my prescription got fouled up twice in a row. I found a WONDERFUL optometrist in Marlboro who is very diligent about my eye care (I had an eye injury several years ago).

Dr Nicholas Kofos is located on Rt 85 in Marlboro - phone # is 508-485-0736. He was also great to work with when I wanted to get specialized glasses for shooting and (many years ago) for SCA fighting. My only complaint (very minor) is that his lab takes a week to turn around lenses). But given the level of care I receive from him, I simply won't consider going to anyone else.

Ross

C-pher said:
I just hope that the cost is the same at all locations. Which Cambridge Eye Doctor location did you go too, if you don't mind me asking?

C-Pher, just saw this. I went to the one in Framingham on Rte 9. Its close to my house and my office.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom