• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ESAPI STAND ALONE LEVEL IV PLATES FOR $300/SET

why are plate carriers with class IV plates selling out this fast? I was told on the MSM's that the country is doing fine.

I was just thinking the same thing![laugh]

they make civilians submit a notarized affidavit? no thanks.

I agree, that's a bullshit policy because it's already on you anyway if you use armor in the commission of a crime.[rolleyes]

With regard to the second link. It says that they are tested to NIJ standards, but in bold it says they are not certified. Just thought I'd point that out in case it wasn't noticed. Also, does "ESAPI" designate ceramic? What does that stand for? It doesn't say in the ad what they are made of, but I'm assuming they aren't steel for that price!

ESAPI/SAPI etc is ceramic. That is important to note that they are tested to the standard, but NOT certified. While I'd have faith in them, it may be an issue for an "issued" piece of equipment. NIJ is the preferred standard, but not perfect. As with the MA handgun testing, multiple sets of each model must be submitted.
Often when this kind of armor shows up for this price, its from a government contract that was canceled, or has excess. I picked up a set from another company for $300. A few weeks later, the exact same plates are now $550 a set. Find a price that fits your budget, and jump on them when you find the right ones.

feckin' gone. damn.

though i just spent $700 on tires and rims this morning for dedicated snows... so it's not like i could have bought these.

ESAPI/SAPI etc is ceramic. That is important to note that they are tested to the standard, but NOT certified. While I'd have faith in them, it may be an issue for an "issued" piece of equipment. NIJ is the preferred standard, but not perfect. As with the MA handgun testing, multiple sets of each model must be submitted.
Often when this kind of armor shows up for this price, its from a government contract that was canceled, or has excess. I picked up a set from another company for $300. A few weeks later, the exact same plates are now $550 a set. Find a price that fits your budget, and jump on them when you find the right ones.

Thanks for the info. So based on what you are saying here, it seems that ~$300 is considered a fair price for level IV ceramic plates? I was going to buy a set of steel, but after reading about how much they weigh, I can't see actually employing them in any real situation other than maybe in your home, and even then movement would be very cumbersome. I think I'll just hold out for a good deal on some ceramic if/when I invest in plates.

feckin' gone. damn.

though i just spent $700 on tires and rims this morning for dedicated snows... so it's not like i could have bought these.

I suspect you will find your tires more useful up here. We don't shelter in place for snow storms...

yeah, i was moving the car yesterday for the plow guy to clean up a bit more and was spinning tire, was like WTF and immediately considered all the hills i have to traverse on the way to and from work and dropped megabucks on tires. figure it's insurance against weather and with careful driving hopefully i'll be alright. the lady has snows on order as well.

Snow tires are infinity more useful around here! $300 was my budget for a set, and cheapest I've found NEW. You can find used and surplus sets cheaper, but have no way of knowing if they're damaged. Ill keep an eye out, and post up if I find them again.

yeah, we paid under $300 for hers new. we're gonna just swap what she currently has on the rims for these.

i bought tires and rims so i can do it myself in the parking lot rather than spend a day going to a shop. her job is much more flexible whereas mine will whip me and abuse me if i don't come in or take a day off.

Ha! I was mixing tires and plates in that post. I meant $300 for plates. I've been thinking about snowtires too, but would be better served with a different car...mines a light RWD terrible in the snow.

Back
Top Bottom