ERPO: do you trust your liberal family and associates

my side of the family are rabid atheist, anti-2a, TDS ultra liberals most working in the public education system. they have erased me from all family memories and events over political and social beliefs. i don't trust them for they are ruler makers and stool pigeons who would ERPO on their values. blocked all of them on FB and avoid social contact, they have nosed around my posts and i don't want to give them any ideas. hang with my wife's conservative, open party animal side.

Last edited:
I trust my family in this regard. However, i didnt trust them until recently. They had a lot of misconceptions about firearms in general (and of people who own them), and thought owning a firearm would somehow make me act and behave differently (and become as my family put it "an evil NRA guy"). For the record, i despise the NRA (and have told them as such). I took it upon myself to educate them on basics like safe handling (some of my family thought a gun could just "go off by itself" without the user doing anything), which disproved most of their beliefs about guns, and now it's a non-issue with my family (I know just not to bring up the subject unless i want to start a shouting match if i stop by for dinner once in a while).

With associates, none know i own a firearm (aside from a small handful of close friends that i go shooting with on occasion). Where i work is RABIDLY anti-2a, and as far as they know, i think guns are evil, and i plan to keep my personal life as private.

I trust my family in this regard. However, i didnt trust them until recently. They had a lot of misconceptions about firearms in general (and of people who own them), and thought owning a firearm would somehow make me act and behave differently (and become as my family put it "an evil NRA guy"). For the record, i despise the NRA (and have told them as such). I took it upon myself to educate them on basics like safe handling (some of my family thought a gun could just "go off by itself" without the user doing anything), which disproved most of their beliefs about guns, and now it's a non-issue with my family (I know just not to bring up the subject unless i want to start a shouting match if i stop by for dinner once in a while).

With associates, none know i own a firearm (aside from a small handful of close friends that i go shooting with on occasion). Where i work is RABIDLY anti-2a, and as far as they know, i think guns are evil, and i plan to keep my personal life as private.
this would not work on my side; totally anti 2 a period, work place; i am retired have been self employed and worked during the dot com when things were good and you had rights on the job

I took after my grandfather. He taught me to shoot and gave me my first rifle and pistol. Since then, I've picked up a "few" and sometimes I get the " why? " from a couple but no real anti on my side. My daughter takes after me as far as firearms go. She had gotten her first pistol a couple years back when she saw how the antis were pushing bans. She's not a collector but enjoys going to the range with her own equipment.

Me personally? No.

My brother is in prison and doesn’t like me very much. I looked into the ERPO law, if he files a complaint/concern about me (even by mail) the ‘system’ has no choice but to grind me though.
Ewww, I'm not happy to hear that. In your studies did you find anything about how the system might deal with people filing blatantly false ERPO complaints?

I don't trust the school system. I am concerned that someday my son will innocently talk about target shooting and the school will order an ERPO on me.

I'm hoping there's some type of legal letter I could send the town giving them notice not to ERPO me if my son innocently talks about exercising civil rights regarding firearms.

I don't trust the school system. I am concerned that someday my son will innocently talk about target shooting and the school will order an ERPO on me.

I'm hoping there's some type of legal letter I could send the town giving them notice not to ERPO me if my son innocently talks about exercising civil rights regarding firearms.

Smart. Having worked in the public schools for decades, now finally retired, you shouldn't trust them as far as you can spit.

Ewww, I'm not happy to hear that. In your studies did you find anything about how the system might deal with people filing blatantly false ERPO complaints?

Theoretically, there is a penalty - however when people can lie in court, withhold evidence and file false charges and nothing happens - ‘Cuz Gunz’ will be a sufficient defense. After all, they were just trying to protect you.

We told bo

We told both of our daughters to keep their mouths shut at school. Schools are run by anti-gun, politically-correct scum who would eagerly throw anyone, especially gun owners, under the bus for their own gain. We all watched the impeachment vote and explained to the girls that if such bullshit can be inflicted on a powerful man like Trump, it can be inflicted on anyone. Democrats are a threat to this once-great nation; they sure as hell are not assets! Not sure if Lexi got it because she is only 5 years old, but her 7 year old sister understands!

Smart. Having worked in the public schools for decades, now finally retired, you shouldn't trust them as far as you can spit.

I think any town govt employee also has legal immunity. They know this and are emboldened by it. They can't be held responsible (sued) if they ERPO somebody by mistake.

The husband of a former colleague of mine (progressives in CA) threatened to inform my employer of my extremist views. They are both off my Christmas card list. One of our last contracts was them recounting their attending a post-Trump election CAL-Exit gathering - they said it was 90% wackos and idiots.

Mother and Sister-In-Law (Nazi Bitch) are rabid Liberals, and two reasons why burlap bags and cement blocks were invented.

I was told a few years ago, by the inspector generals office, to assume that Everyone you talk to will Lie, Hide, and Deceive. Can't be disappointed with that philosophy if they don't LHD. They see it as a human nature trait.

Last edited:
My son used his glove the other day as a “ray gun” at school. The principal sat him down and explained he can’t play like that at school. She brought him out to the car during pickup, told me what happened and just said “I’m sure you’ll take care of it”. I was extremely surprised how they handled it.

I dont tell anyone about my firearms- the only reason I see to do so is to get someone new into the hobby. I'm not going to be changing anyone's mind or political opinions over my AR, so theres no need to bring it up or engage.

My son used his glove the other day as a “ray gun” at school. The principal sat him down and explained he can’t play like that at school. She brought him out to the car during pickup, told me what happened and just said “I’m sure you’ll take care of it”. I was extremely surprised how they handled it.

Surprised that they didn't make a bigger deal out of it, or that they over reacted?

Thank God it wasn't a pop-tart. He would have been expelled.

My bro-in-law would be the only "family" I would have to worry about. NYC native, Cambridge resident, law degree from Harvard. (lol someone get me out of this f*cking nightmare [laugh]) We've butted heads a few times and think that its pretty much out in the open now that we dont much care for each other. Rest of my family here are Nons or at the most NPC-type antis, along with an LEO cousin who has no prob with good people owning guns. TBH, the subject pretty much never comes up. We all have a "no politics" rule at family gatherings so things are always civil. Other half of the family is out of state and pro-gun.

Work is a handful of pro-gun and I would say the rest are Nons. It is in the back of my mind though that since its kind of an open secret that Im a gun owner, that if there was ever any static between myself and someone else they could use an ERPO to F me. Ive gone from being secretive about gun ownership, to being open to talking about it if it came up somehow or if people asked, and now Im back in secret mode due exclusively to ERPO's.

So to answer OP's question, Id say I trust 95% of work and family to either never go there, or to go there only if they genuinely thought I was going to do something harmful to someone or to myself. There are a only a small handful who I could see using an ERPO maliciously .

Last edited:
I guess I'm kind of On The Fringe. I tell my kids to feel free to talk about firearms and civil rights in school anytime they want. If the school comes after me, they're going to look really really f****** silly

It's not something I'm really worried about but I watch my six. I have a couple of liberal kids (they were fine until they went to college) and they have told me no gunz in their houses. They don't know that I carry an LCP in my pocket whenever my britches are covering my butt. They'd most likely freak out if they knew.

I work with some real moonbats here at work. Fortunately our HR person is a conservative and very pro 2A (as much as she can be in this environment)

My wifes family are the typical NJ liberals but they respect our choices even though they don't agree.

I can't say I trust any liberal/progressive/snowflake/communist whether they are family of not! I'm very well versed on history in that regard! I don't walk on eggshells, I just bring it up or preach my beliefs in their presence. I have 3 kids, two of them gun friendly and conservative, one liberal (she became that way from college). I keep things light and fluffy during family gatherings across the board.

These kids have enough things to work about these days without Dad hemming and hawing in their face about gun rights. I don't trust any of the inlaws as far as I can throw them

Back
Top Bottom