• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Equipment for IDPA SSR and ICORE Retro

jar

I started to post this in the ICORE regional thread, but I didn't want to hijack it too much with equipment stuff.

I've got a 4" model 66 that I plan to use for IDPA and ICORE. I don't have any support gear yet. I know Safariland Comp IIIs are the speedloaders of choice. What is everyone using for carriers? I don't want to break the bank, but I want decent gear. I'm thinking I'll get the good stuff for the 3 carriers I'll use in IDPA, and get something inexpensive to add more for ICORE.

Also, what are people using for holsters for 4" K-frames?

I have not used their revolver gear, but check out Ready Tactical. CPWSA carries them: http://cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm
They have a 4" k frame holster and speedloader pouches as well.

I use their DOH holster and mag carriers for production and have been very pleased with the quality and workmanship.

Good luck,
Steve

jar,

Contact Mike Semeraro at [email protected] for holders and to have your Comp IIIs or Jet Loaders modified. Jet Loaders or Comp IIIs are a Ford Chevy kind of thing, they are essentially simliar in design and function. I also used Comp IIs for many years, they are damn near as fast, but less expensive and more rugged. SL Variants work too, but they are hard to find and a little finicky.

Mike Semararo makes the best IDPA SSR holders in the world and does a fantastic job of modifying Comp IIIs or Jetloaders to make them a little more competitive. I've tried all of them and Mike's are the best.

Doug Drager at TKW makes an awesome Kydex holster, but his turn around time varies. You can contact Doug at [email protected], get the "Gary Cuittita" version if he'll do it for you.

If that gets to be too long a wait for you, Blade-Tech makes a decent Kydex Holster and I'm sure Bobby McGee would appreciate your business.

I used a Safariland 560 series holster for many years and happily would again. You can find those in your Dillon catalogue. They make good stuff that works.

For ICORE, the Safariland 333 holders (also in your Dillon catalogue) would work just fine as a supplement to your IDPA gear. You'll need at least 6 of everything for the NE Regional ICORE match.

We hope to see you and all our MA friends at the HGC ICORE Classifier-only match 3 April. We'll run 4 ICORE Classifiers and, if time permits, the Timeless Far-and-Near Standards. You can shoot the IDPA Classifier in the AM and ICORE Classifiers in the PM - and meet and greet "Magnum" Bob Powell, the S&W IDPA League's original Revolver Wizard - for great tips and tricks along with all sorts of useful spells and incantations.

ICORE Classifiers are pretty simple. You will not need more than basic IDPA SSR gear for the entire day.

Craig

Last edited:
Thanks Craig. Do you have any experience with the Ready Tactical gear? That was the other off the rack holster option I was looking at vs blade-tech.

Listen to Craig about the speed loader holders from Mike Semeraro. I made the mistake of buying other stuff first and wound up with inferior gear. Mike also cut down my comp III speedloaders as well. Whatever you do, stay the heck away from the Blade-tech speed loader holders. They make some nice holsters but the speed loader holders are pure crap.

jar,

I have some Ready tactical holders. They work pretty well - as good as any of the other commercial versions I've tried and better than most (in fact I use one as my Surefire Z2 flashlight holder). You won't be disappointed if you need to get going quickly.

I have found that if you bump or jar them, however - when you get up out of a chair or while running - you can occasionally lose the loader. That's why I like Mike's holders better - they are very stable, but you can release the loader easily with a vertical pull.

Craig

I have found that if you bump or jar them, however - when you get up out of a chair or while running - you can occasionally lose the loader.

Unlike jar, I'm built for stealth not speed...I probably won't have to worry about losing gear while running so I'll start out with a couple of Safariland 333's and some Ready-Tac carriers for ICORE and just the Ready-Tacs for IDPA.

Unlike jar, I'm built for stealth not speed...I probably won't have to worry about losing gear while running so I'll start out with a couple of Safariland 333's and some Ready-Tac carriers for ICORE and just the Ready-Tacs for IDPA.

If you need gear just send an e mail.

For holsters, www.talontactical.com for IDPA. I may even still have one for 4" K. I know I have a leather holster for 4"N and leather for 4" K but that one is Alessi and I won't part with it.

If you need gear just send an e mail.

Thanks RGS. I've got gear to get me started... Like anything else I guess I'll have to try it out and see if I like it. I asked my wife one time why she needed so many different purses and she came right back (without skipping a beat) with "the same reason you need so many different holsters." I'll see how the gear I have works out and then consider trying out other stuff.

Thanks RGS. I've got gear to get me started... Like anything else I guess I'll have to try it out and see if I like it. I asked my wife one time why she needed so many different purses and she came right back (without skipping a beat) with "the same reason you need so many different holsters." I'll see how the gear I have works out and then consider trying out other stuff.

Being charitable, I'll save you some money and a lot of wasted time. I have several drawers of holsters, loaders, holders, grips and other interesting gadets that I've aquired over the years for SSR that didn't work for me.

You'll probably try the very same stuff.

I will sell it all to you for 50% of my cost and deliver it to your next match.

Craig

Try the pvc pipe speedloader holders off the enos site. Very slick ,very fast, very secure ,very legal. I paid 4 bucks for a length of pipe and it took me 45 mins to make them.

Return to post #5 for the best advice you will get. Most long time revolver shooters have tried just about everything. I started with rev in 1972 and shot them till my hands went bad. I have used just about every speed loader invented including the original Safariland rubber loaders. In the days when LE carried revolvers, I had the chance to try them all. Safariland, HKS, Dade, Jet, SLV, Max fire, and some i can't remember. Holders from leather makers, Kydex benders, home made stuff too. Craig has spent a lot of time and money looking and trying. I value his opinion on this and you should too.

Back
Top Bottom