• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Epilepsy

I have Epilepsy and an unrestricted LTC. Last week I had a seizure while carrying at home. When the paramedics cut off my clothes, they saw the gun and turned it into the police. I just talked to the chief and he wants me to come in next week to discuss my medical condition. Does anyone else have Epilepsy? Or have this happen? How did it work out? Any tips on what I should say?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i'm not in the know on ANY of this...but i think driving a car is more dangerous than carrying a firearm with such a condition.

i'd start documenting every time you take your medication if possible so you have 'proof' that you're taking it at least. maybe save receipts when you pick up your prescriptions at the pharmacy?

i'm sure someone will chime in that knows more than I do.

Maybe bring a letter from your doctor, something that explains your particular type of condition and the medication needed to control it. Seizures can be caused by many things, even something as simple as forgetting to take your medication. Hopefully this is not something that happens too often so that won't be an issue to the chief.

well, that sucks! hoping everything goes well with the chief for you. can't offer you advice, just positive thoughts. good luck. [thumbsup]

My wife has Epilepsy (but not an LTC) and she has had to have her doctor write a note about her ability to drive. Mostly has to assert that the medication regime is stable and working. Read up on the ADA (Americans W/ Disability Act). While the Chief may have some concerns, discriminating against you because of a medical condition is a quick way to get a bunch of government agencies down on his ass.
Best of luck.

My wife has Epilepsy (but not an LTC) and she has had to have her doctor write a note about her ability to drive. Mostly has to assert that the medication regime is stable and working. Read up on the ADA (Americans W/ Disability Act). While the Chief may have some concerns, discriminating against you because of a medical condition is a quick way to get a bunch of government agencies down on his ass.
Best of luck.

I'd like to think that but when it comes to guns, I doubt that they would side with the OP and pursue it. I'd discuss it with a lawyer and my recommendation would be either Keith Langer (Wrentham) or Jason Guida (Salem). The chief can revoke/suspend for ANY reason, claiming that someone subject to seizures isn't suitable and in control at all times. The courts would 99.9999999999% agree with the chief.

I would not go to said meeting with the chief without having consulted a firearms attorney first.

Best of luck.

First: I had an EX Wife with a similar condition. She actually crashed into MY car ( she was behind me ) once when she had an episode. That's a long story! Anyway, yup, no driving for 6 months. Strange, as much as MA is messed up, they don't take away the driving privledge like some states do.

Second: I often wondered what would happen if you were CC and had a medical issue....

Epilepsy even while taking medication is still not 100% under control.At any time you could have seizure.

Are you going to consult a lawyer, or press charges against the person who stole your firearm?

I spoke with Atty Jason Guida about this (and another issue) and Jason is on the same page as me, if he doesn't lawyer up his LTC is toast and his guns are gone.

No you can't sue the EMS personnel for handing the gun to the police. This is what they are trained to do and is really good procedure. The real issue is the police chief and his "suitability" and "discretion" in MGL allows him to never return it or the LTC . . . all nice and legal. It sucks, that's why he needs an attorney and never speak to the police without one present.

Epilepsy even while taking medication is still not 100% under control.At any time you could have seizure.

I'm not in the medical field but I'm not entirely sure of this statement. However, I am certain that 3 out of 5 chiefs if they were aware that a person had epilepsy they would never issue/renew a LTC under discretion and suitability . . . and the courts would uphold that ruling.

That's why it is extremely important to keep one's medical life very private.

I'm not in the medical field but I'm not entirely sure of this statement. However, I am certain that 3 out of 5 chiefs if they were aware that a person had epilepsy they would never issue/renew a LTC under discretion and suitability . . . and the courts would uphold that ruling.

That's why it is extremely important to keep one's medical life very private.

I have a 29 year old daughter who has had epilepsy most of her life,and just when you think everything is under control. Bam! She has a seizure.

Second: I often wondered what would happen if you were CC and had a medical issue....

I had a heart attack and was CCing. Ironically, I was in a hospital when the attack occurred. They secured the firearm and returned it to me when I was discharged. No shits were given by the staff. I was not in MA when this happened.

Back
Top Bottom