EPIC FAIL WITH A GLOCK ( FIREARM SAFTEY IS KEY)

The thing is though, anyone with more than one functioning brain cell will not have an ND with a Glock if they actually think about what they're doing for more than 5 seconds...
I think we have isolated the problem.

I think we have isolated the problem.
On the bright side, he won't likely do that again...

Most people learn from their mistakes. Smart people learn from other's mistakes. Then there are Democrats who insist on repeating painful mistakes over and over again.

If you are doing it right, safety is the reflex not the thought...

Member then decided to download the weapon (glock 9mm) and clean it prior to storing it. While attempting to download the weapon, member had his left hand over the slide of the weapon and had his right hand engaging the slide stop/release to engage the locking mechanism and eject the round in the chamber. While pulling the slide to the rear, the weapon went off while the member's left hand was over the muzzle of the weapon resulting in a round passing thru his left hand. The round continued through member's wife's leg, going through the back part of her lower left leg just below her calf muscle. The round pierced through a couch and through the front wall of their home.

I see fail throughout. Why was his hand over the muzzle at ANY time?? Why was the firearm pointed at someone at ANY time? I say BS, he pulled the trigger.

"2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!" That includes you own freaking hand.

Don't try and unload the chamber and lock the slide back at the same time.

Um, I do this all the time whenever I am taking my SD gun to the range to practice with it. The difference is I keep the gun pointed down range with my booger stick off the bang switch.

hand in front of barrel pushing slide rearward while pulling trigger to take it down.

I've never seen anyone do this.

3. Use thumb and index finger of one hand at the rear of the gun, with thumb on frame and index finger on rear sight, slightly pull slide back, while using thumb and index finger underneath the pistol to pull the takedown lever down, guide slide off with first hand. At NO time are any body parts, pets, or other people in front of the muzzle.

Exactly. Only I do it with my thumb on the rear sight.

On the bright side, he won't likely do that again...

Most people learn from their mistakes.

Funny story about that. There's an employee at State Line Guns in Mason who showed me the pink scar tissue on his palm from the 230 grain Hydrashok he put through his hand. When I asked him how it happened, he said "Never trust a safety." A few months later I asked the same guy to see a few handguns that were in the case, and each time he took one out he picked it up with his finger on the trigger, then pressed his palm up against the muzzle to push back the slide and check the chamber, finger still on the trigger.

Mystery solved.

You can do that and do it safely. Just keep the gun pointed in a safe direction and your finger off the trigger while doing so.

Wasn't saying you couldn't, or at times you don't need to......just fingers doing more things at once which could lead to ND. If you can do it this way safely more power to you. Obviously this guy had issues doing it....all the while pointing the gun at his hand and wife.

Personally, with the gun in a safe direction, I drop the mag, eject the round from the chamber, pull the slide back a few more times and make double sure it's empty. I then lock the slide back or clean it or whatever. I believe in the one step at a time approach....overkill to many, but not to me. I'm in the process of teaching my son gun safety now and the one step at a time approach is best for little hands that aren't used to firearms.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone do this.

A few months later I asked the same guy to see a few handguns that were in the case, and each time he took one out he picked it up with his finger on the trigger, then pressed his palm up against the muzzle to push back the slide and check the chamber, finger still on the trigger.

Mystery solved.

Sounds like he found a new line of work.

Funny story about that. There's an employee at State Line Guns in Mason who showed me the pink scar tissue on his palm from the 230 grain Hydrashok he put through his hand. When I asked him how it happened, he said "Never trust a safety." A few months later I asked the same guy to see a few handguns that were in the case, and each time he took one out he picked it up with his finger on the trigger, then pressed his palm up against the muzzle to push back the slide and check the chamber, finger still on the trigger.
I know the very guy! His finger must have a magnet in it - it's always wandering into the trigger guard. He once put a handgun on the counter without clearing it, covering me and my wife while he talked about its merits, his hand on the butt. It got really uncomfortable after a bit as his twitchy hand eventually put his finger inside the trigger guard.

We can take a hint. Either this guy is around firearms all day but still so bad at safety you have to wonder what you can trust him about, or he was sending us a little message. Either way, we haven't been back since.

I know the very guy! His finger must have a magnet in it - it's always wandering into the trigger guard. He once put a handgun on the counter without clearing it, covering me and my wife while he talked about its merits, his hand on the butt. It got really uncomfortable after a bit as his twitchy hand eventually put his finger inside the trigger guard.

We can take a hint. Either this guy is around firearms all day but still so bad at safety you have to wonder what you can trust him about, or he was sending us a little message. Either way, we haven't been back since.

Ouch. That's.... a little huge. I mean I've met some wonky gun shop folks in my time, but I've never had a salesperson point a gun at me like that. [thinking]

-Mike

STORY?

2) NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO SHOOT.
2) NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO (destroy).

But i'm just being picky, and in b4 this thread goes really bad[smile]
Sometimes I like all caps, keeps me from having to put on my Granpa Glasses

Sounds like he found a new line of work.

[laugh] Good catch, but to be fair, I wasn't saying that I've never seen someone point a gun at themselves, just that I've never seen a Glock taken down the way that it Timber described it.

Either this guy is around firearms all day but still so bad at safety...

I think that's what it is. People spend so much time handling guns that their bad handling practices get even worse. Stories like the OP are just one more reason for me to never cut corners on firearms safety.

Back
Top Bottom