EoTech vs Aimpoint

ntomsw

Banned
Anyone want to school me on which one is better & why? Or are they both comparable? I'd like to purchase one eventually, and I am wondering what people like.

I am specifically looking at the EoTech 512 & Aimpoint PRO.

Last edited:
I had the same question, especially in light of the group buy on the Aimpoint PRO in the members' area.

I think it's just a preference of taste. Both are great optics. The 512 uses AA batteries which are always available and the aimpoint has a 5 year battery life.

I prefer the aimpoint just a little more. I also like the it is still usable with the lenee covers on.

Sent from state prison using contraband cell phone.

I did read that about the battery life. The EoTech only has like a 1,100 hour battery life, where the Aimpoint has like 20,000 hour battery life.

I like the looks of the recticle better maybe on the EoTech.

I can only speak for the EoTech. I have the 512. Absolutely love it. Have had zero issues with it and holds its zero perfectly. You're welcome to try her out if you'd like.

I'm not a huge fan of the circle on my 512.

I don't like the rubber and covers on my Aimpoint PRO.

IMO it's a toss-up.

I've had both, although the Eotech I had used the type "N" batteries. Avoid the shit out of that model (if they even still make it).

Eotech:
Pros:
- Small window, so easy to look through with no "tunnel effect" (you are looking through a small window not a tube).
- AA batteries are easier to find.
- Recticle is better. 1MOA dot + 65MOA circle.. kinda makes your eye naturally fall in line with the target.
- Lines up with iron sights well, so the only need to take it off is if you break it
- Rugged
- Makes odd-angle shots (shooting from behind cover, etc) easier as it is very easy to see through from odd-angles, etc.
- Water resistant

Cons:
- Crappy batter life, and of course they never go dead at a good time.
- Most models do not have a quick detach option, so if you want to take it off tools are required or put it on an aftermarket mount
- Controls are a bit of a pain in the ass to turn on, set. REALLY annoying if you are wearing gloves, etc.

Aimpoint:
Pros:
- OUTSTANDING battery life. Many folks just leave it on.
- Rugged
- 2MOA dot is easy to see and get on target (PRO model)
- Controls are easy to turn on/off, even with gloves on
- QD mount is easy to get on/off, holds zero
- Can co-witness with irons easy, mount has removable spacer
- NV compatible; same feature for eotech costs around $100 more (IIRC)
- Water resistant

Cons:
- You are looking through a tube, so it is a bit more intrusive to see through than an eotech
- Its a bit bulky.
- Batteries are an odd size, so harder to get. Keep a spare on hand.
- Mount has a bulky knob on the side and will bite the hell out of you if you are not careful when tightening it.
- 4MOA dot (comp m2 models) is a bit big for longer shots (although this is great for close shots)

Which one is better? I'm still having that debate myself and waffle back and forth often. I've never had issues with either, although the Eotech's batteries would run out on me with the 501 model I had. Both are great optics, and you won't be disappointed in either.

I've had both. Through personal experience my opinion is that each fulfills a different role. The 512 superimposes a reticle in your field of view that is excels at close to mid-ranges. This is not to say you cannot use the 512 for distance. The PRO provides a simple a dot that is usable at all ranges but is preferred at distances (mid to far) over the 512 because it doesn't clutter your field of view. This is also not to say that you cannot use the PRO at closer ranges.

For general use, I prefer the PRO due to simplicity of the dot and the much longer battery life. YMMV.

If I was playing COD I would go with Eotech because it looks cool and I don't have to worry about breaking or running out of battery juice, real life for durability and simplicity I would go for the Aimpoint.

Aimpoint for me, I just leave it on and forget about it.

All great info so far. Thanks everyone.

Price wise, they both seem to be right around $400 from what I can tell. So price doesn't really matter all that much.

im running an eotech xps3 on my ar right now and really like it, i own a comp m4, its alright, if i was going to use an aimpoint i would probably go with a micro

Anyone want to school me on which one is better & why? Or are they both comparable? I'd like to purchase one eventually, and I am wondering what people like.

I am specifically looking at the EoTech 512 & Aimpoint PRO.

i prefer the eotech reticel myself, but like the looks of almost every aimpoint better. They are both battle proven, It really comes down to what fits your rig aesthetically to you IMO. Battery life is better in the aimpoint too.

Last edited:
I'll do a simple pro and con list. They both share top notch quality, ultra high durability, and hold zero no matter the hell you'd put them through. So you can't really go wrong.

> Aimpoint

PROS
Different models = different purposes. Suit your needs to size/weight/other necessities
A single dot versus a crosshair/donut and dot the Eotech uses
Economy version available at $350, good price and Aimpoint quality
MOST IMPORTANTLY - Battery life. 3-5 years constant on depending on model. I leave my aimpoint on 24/7 in the safe so it's one less thing I need to do during a home invasion. I like not having to worry about this too, I imagine having the optics going out in a combat situation could potentially be life-threatening
Mounting options based on your needs. I have a great co-witness sidemount for my Aimpoint on my AK. If you want it raised, very low, swivel, quick detach, side mounted, you have any mounting option you want as there are tons of third party mounts

CONS
More expensive
It's a tube style compared to the hologram. The longer the tube the worse your sight picture will be, which the aimpoint PRO lacks compared to the micro ones

>Eotech

PROS
Holographic style sight, same overall length but the length of the glass is shorter. Gives a MUCH better picture of the target as a result (I find myself way more accurate with it)
Donut and dot style reticle. It's quicker to lign up a target and I've noticed it's way easier to see in bright conditions compared to the aimpoint
Slightly cheaper

CONS
Very short battery life
Different models have minimal differences but giant price gaps. NV compatable, buttons on the side or the back, AA or the C123 whatever batteries. Huge price gap.
Look ugly as ****, in my opinion, and also seem GIGANTIC on most rifles
Fewer third party options
VERY SHORT BATTERY LIFE

In my opinion, I'd go with the Eotech every time. The sight picture and the difference in my accuracy with it was just 10/10. I could see everything, meanwhile with my aimpoint I have a worse sight picture. It's still good, with infinite paralax, and I hit really well at 100yd with my AK.

However the Eotech has a dealbreaker, 16hrs of battery life versus 50,000 hours of battery life. I can't leave the Eotech on and I'd be afraid of having to swap batteries every other day. When they get their shit together with battery life, I have no doubt Aimpoint would go broke that day. But until then, I buy these optics on a need basis. My AK is my everyday rifle, I'd use it in SHTF, home defense, and practice with it regularly and I use an Aimpoint. I'd prefer an Eotech on my AR, which I don't use much, so having the thing going 24/7 isn't an issue for me really.

I own both and like both. But, the durability and looooong battery life of the aimpoint might be a big deal depending on the purpose of the rifle.

I know there is famous Larry Vickers quote that goes along the lines of "anyone not running an aimpoint should be given a f***** piss test." However, obviously for a plinker or range toy just use whatever one you like better!

How hard or easy is it to change the batteries on the EoTech??

On a 512, very very easy. The elongated dong like shape of the 512 is where the AA's are located. It's a simple tab that you depress to access the battery compartment. It's also very easy on the PRO as well. You just unscrew something I believe. I only installed the batteries on the PRO once so I literally don't remember exactly how to replace them.

I faced the same decision. I choose the Eotech 512. I find it allows for very quick target acquisition and engagement, especially with rapid fire at multiple targets at the range. For me the battery life hasn't been a problem (I still keep spares in the pistol grip just in case. You should be using lithium anyhow; twice the operating time, longer storage life, operate in lower temperatures and they weigh less.

This is how I have mine set up:

20121220150520676.jpg

Aimpoint hands down. For quite a bit of reasons. Also, I still am a huge fan of knowing your irons inside and out. I know the Eotech gets more praise than the Aimpoint in regard to the reticule but I don't care for batteries. YMMV

It is easy to change the batteries on an Eotech. One downside is that AA batteries have a tendency to leak over time.

The Aimpoint PRO just seems to be more bulky then the EoTech.

I can deal with batteries not lasting as long I guess. I have 2 kids, so I always have plenty of AA batteries lying around. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom