• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EoTech vs Aimpoint

The Aimpoint PRO just seems to be more bulky then the EoTech.

I can deal with batteries not lasting as long I guess. I have 2 kids, so I always have plenty of AA batteries lying around. [laugh]

Neil, if you wanna try out my Aimpoint PRO on your AR send me a PM. I don't have an EOtech to let you try it out against, but at least you can check one of them out.

The Aimpoint PRO just seems to be more bulky then the EoTech.

I can deal with batteries not lasting as long I guess. I have 2 kids, so I always have plenty of AA batteries lying around. [laugh]

If you go for a AA model, I'd suggest using Energizer Lithiums in it. They're more expensive but they won't leak and last much longer in storage or cold conditions. Personally though, I think the XPS with the side buttons is the way to go.

Also, I'd get a grip that lets you store some extra batteries, like this: Amazon.com: Hogue Hogue AR/M16 AK Grip Storage Black: Sports & Outdoors

Yeah good tip. I do have a MagPul MOE+ grip right now, that will let you store at least 2 AA batteries in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Neil, if you wanna try out my Aimpoint PRO on your AR send me a PM. I don't have an EOtech to let you try it out against, but at least you can check one of them out.

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I'll figure out when I can get to the range, and shoot you a PM.

It's all about preference. I had a eotech xps 2-2 and have converted over to aimpoint. I like the less cluttered look without the reticle for farther shots. Biggest selling point, I could leave the aimpoint on, it would sit in the rack in the car and when I needed it quick there was no fumbling trying to turn it on or adjust your brightness settings...aimpoint you set it and forget it.

I use the Eotech at work. My personal rifle has an Aimpoint. Why? Both work well, but the Aimpoint seems a bit more tolerable to rough use, and the Eotech CONSTANTLY needs new batteries. My Aimpoint has had the same batteries for 4 years, and it doesn't turn off.

What is the distance each one is good to? At least 100 yards? Farther?

You're not going to drive tacks at 200 yards with any combat optic. It's purpose is rapid target acquisition in a combat environment. It excels in this area. You can put rounds in the 10 ring from a bench at 100 yards with it, but you're not going to be a sniper with it at any range.

I am going to have to use both and see both before I can make a decision. Obviously like with anything, some people like the EOtech & some will like the Aimpoint PRO.

Aimpoint, though I guess I am biased since I don't own, nor have ever used Eotech to this point.

It's a DD marketing vid, but it sure as hell sells Aimpoint Micro's IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the distance each one is good to? At least 100 yards? Farther?

I have a EOTech 555 on my 450 Bushmaster. Zero'd it at 50 yds. and easily hit steel at 100 & 200 yards.

EOTech and Aimpoint are different. EOTech is a HOLOgraphic sight, Aimpoint is a red dot. What are you going to do with it? If it's on an AR for range shooting & plinking go with Aimpoint. Nicole has one on the EPR and it is accurate. If you are going to put it on a caliber larger than .223/5.56, I say go with an EOTech as they are tougher. US Armed forces put them on Ma Deuces.

I like my 555 on the 450 Bush. and wouldn't trade it. The 450 wrecked two other red dots before I put the EOTech on it. Main thing is to try them both if you can.

It would be mostly for range shooting. Maybe down the road if I ever get into competition shooting, I'd use it for that too, if it's allowed. I don't know as I haven't done any research on it.

It would be mostly for range shooting. Maybe down the road if I ever get into competition shooting, I'd use it for that too, if it's allowed. I don't know as I haven't done any research on it.

If you want to come to HSC sometime, you're welcome to try my XPS. I have an ACOG on a different rifle and you could try that as well.

I have several EOTechs 512s and have in last year moved to using Aimpoint T1s instead. I definitely like the T1 much better than my 512s. Many of the pros/cons have been discussed in this thread, but the biggest things for me:

1. The EOTech 512 is heavy! You put that out front on an AK or an M1A, and that is not pleasant. It is usable, and if you have nothing better, you make it work. But the Aimpoint T1 is in a totally different category, suddenly the rifle is a lot easier to bring up and use naturally. I cannot say enough about having a T1 on an AK gas-tube mount, or an M1A scout mount, or even just out front near hand-guard on an AR. All places where I had EOTech 512 and now run Aimpoint T1.
2. I have had A LOT of problems with putting EOTech 512s away with high-quality AA batteries in them, and having the batteries rupture and corrode. This happened on a number of my sights, and they were in a safe with anti-humidity heaters and all that, and they corroded the inside of the sight. EOTech did send me "rebuild" kits for the insides, and I did get the sights working again, but what a pain. And the idea of pulling out a rifle when you need it and finding that it is dead and that replacing the batteries WILL NOT fix it is scary. Now I store all my EOTech 512s with the batteries OUT of the unit, just in case. My Aimpoints have the batteries in them, no worries and no problems, I've had a year and a half to see.

To me those are the two major factors that really make me lean towards Aimpoint.

2. I have had A LOT of problems with putting EOTech 512s away with high-quality AA batteries in them, and having the batteries rupture and corrode. This happened on a number of my sights, and they were in a safe with anti-humidity heaters and all that, and they corroded the inside of the sight. EOTech did send me "rebuild" kits for the insides, and I did get the sights working again, but what a pain. And the idea of pulling out a rifle when you need it and finding that it is dead and that replacing the batteries WILL NOT fix it is scary.

Agreed. I've had that happen to me and it is not a good feeling to pull your SHTF rifle out of the safe, try to turn on the EOTech and it doesn't work.

i have both an eotech and an aimpoint comp m4 i love them both but if one or the other id go with a comp m4 and here is why...battery life is 8 years give or take...mine has been on for a year now ..you can change the dot to a sharp needle red dot or a big bright dot depending on your work... i find the fine point clear so is great for distance the eotech is nice but a lot going on for distance. and battery life is not great and auto turns off after 4 or 8 hours your choice....

...EOTech as they are tougher.

Lots of folks would disagree, and not just Larry Vickers. [wink]

OP imo if it's between the 512 and PRO, I'd choose Aimpoint without question. PRO vs. E/XPS is more of a fair fight.

Buy the Aimpoint, then if you don't like it I have a spare XPS2-0 for trade in the classifieds. [laugh]

Anyone want to school me on which one is better & why? Or are they both comparable? I'd like to purchase one eventually, and I am wondering what people like.

I am specifically looking at the EoTech 512 & Aimpoint PRO.

I have one of each (actually a 517 and a CompM3, but close enough.) All in all I prefer the Aimpoint, but the Eotech is nice too. You really can't go wrong with either one.

I use the Zombie Stopper! That way I can guarantee I can get all the Cons in one item. Then I let me wife use it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom