• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Entry level trap gun

What is the best bang for the buck in entry level 12 gauge over and unders less than 800.00 dollars any help is appreciated. Quack

I agree with the above post, look at a Franchi or two.
With Franchi you can get one hell of an O/A for under 1K.

smitty

if you're lucky you can find a used BT-99 for around that price. Not an O/U but a great mid-level Trap Gun

Me I had great luck with a Lanber Sporting (entry level Shotgun IMHO)and then had an adjustable comb installed, and back plate, and had it fitted to me. Gun $600, work plus parts $400 so overall it cost more, but I had/have GREAT luck with this shotgun. Other people had varying experiences.

Good luck in your search!

For an entry level trap gun, the first thing to look for within your range is if the gun properly fits you. "No fit, no hit." Even though it's not an O/U I'd recommend a Remington 1100, although any well-fitting 12 gauge will work great for singles. You can find plenty of < $800 O/U Shotguns of decent quality at many gun shows, just have to look around. Good luck!

For an entry level trap gun, the first thing to look for within your range is if the gun properly fits you. "No fit, no hit." Even though it's not an O/U I'd recommend a Remington 1100, although any well-fitting 12 gauge will work great for singles. You can find plenty of < $800 O/U Shotguns of decent quality at many gun shows, just have to look around. Good luck!

I agree.
As much as I personally love O/U's, they're not really entry level guns, and not as versatile as say an 870 or 1100.
I shot trap and skeet for years with an 870 before moving up to an O/U.
Unless you're shooting doubles, which is rare, there's no clear advantage to an O/U for trap.
In fact, shooting standard rounds of trap (one shot per turn) leads to uneven wear in an O/U unless you keep switching the barrel selector. You may fire the bottom barrel 25 times in a round and not fire the top barrel at all.
Skeet however is a different story, because you always fire pairs of shots from stations 1-8, so it's normal to load two shells in the gun.

Starting out the gate with an O/U in shotgun sports is unnecessary overkill IMO. Everyone wants to show up on Sunday morning looking like they're pros.

Go with an auto loader, 1100 or 11/87. Versitile gun that is fine for skeet and trap. If you find you really like it, you're out a couple hundred bucks that you can easily recoup on resale (if you don't end up keeping it anyways). Then you can pick up a nice O/U worthy of your degree of interest in the sport when you get good enough to warrant it.

Starting out the gate with an O/U in shotgun sports is unnecessary overkill IMO. Everyone wants to show up on Sunday morning looking like they're pros.

Go with an auto loader, 1100 or 11/87. Versitile gun that is fine for skeet and trap. If you find you really like it, you're out a couple hundred bucks that you can easily recoup on resale (if you don't end up keeping it anyways). Then you can pick up a nice O/U worthy of your degree of interest in the sport when you get good enough to warrant it.

I had this same conversation with my dad when I took him to his first round of trap. He loved it, and wanted his own gun, my rattletrap of a 500 wasn't cool enough I guess. I tried to get him to pick up a 500 or an 870, but instead he went out and bought the first 600 dollar O/U he saw.

Find youself a good used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 and it'll serve you well. It will cost a little more (maybe ~1000 if you look around) but will last you longer than any of the crap cheaply made trash O/Us.

Dicks Sporting Goods has a Franchi Diamond O/U for like $699

Cheap O/U's are cheap for a reason, they have poor barrel regulation, the barrels fail to fire to the same point of aim. I've tested a dozen Franchi's, Mossburg Silver Reserves and their ilk and most of them suck as part of my coaching responsibilities for my youth trap team. They look ok, but the top barrel will shoot high and left and the bottom one to a different spot. I offered to buy a silver reserve off the board if it passed the test it and it failed. Shoot low recoil slugs from a bench rest from the top and bottom barrel (open chokes!) and see where they land. Chances are you will be sorely disappointed.

$800 will buy a new Remington 870 trap or save up for a used Browning or Beretta O/U for $1500. Cheap O/U's suck, you might get lucky that the turk soldering the barrels together is having a good day, odd are your wont.

Last edited:
I'd buy a Lanber 2087 O/U 30" barrels. The cost is in your range.

I have one for sale with only 28" barrels but I wouldn't recommend it for trap. In fact I dissuaded a prospective buyer who wanted it for trap. I have two Lanbers, one I use for Sporting clays and another I used for bird hunting. These guns are built tough, heavy which reduces the felt recoil. As I said I have two and I have 5 friends who own them not one of us has had an issue. These guns are made in Spain.
If you didn’t have your heart set on an O/U I’d suggest a Remington 100 Trap.

Cheap O/U's are cheap for a reason, they have poor barrel regulation, the barrels fail to fire to the same point of aim. I've tested a dozen Franchi's, Mossburg Silver Reserves and their ilk and most of them suck as part of my coaching responsibilities for my youth trap team. They look ok, but the top barrel will shoot high and left and the bottom one to a different spot. I offered to buy a silver reserve off the board if it passed the test it and it failed. Shoot low recoil slugs from a bench rest from the top and bottom barrel (open chokes!) and see where they land. Chances are you will be sorely disappointed.

$800 will buy a new Remington 870 trap or save up for a used Browning or Beretta O/U for $1500. Cheap O/U's suck, you might get lucky that the turk soldering the barrels together is having a good day, odd are your wont.

Find youself a good used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 and it'll serve you well. It will cost a little more (maybe ~1000 if you look around) but will last you longer than any of the crap cheaply made trash O/Us.

I agree.
As much as I personally love O/U's, they're not really entry level guns, and not as versatile as say an 870 or 1100.
I shot trap and skeet for years with an 870 before moving up to an O/U.
Unless you're shooting doubles, which is rare, there's no clear advantage to an O/U for trap.
In fact, shooting standard rounds of trap (one shot per turn) leads to uneven wear in an O/U unless you keep switching the barrel selector. You may fire the bottom barrel 25 times in a round and not fire the top barrel at all.
Skeet however is a different story, because you always fire pairs of shots from stations 1-8, so it's normal to load two shells in the gun.

These are good advice. If you belong to a club that as a club gun I would go and shoot that. As you ask questions other members will more than likely share their guns until you find the one that fits.

Most of the sub 1K O/U guns will not be well made. If I were looking in this market I would lean towards a Stoeger. They seem to have the least problems from what I have seen and when you out grow it you will probably keep it kicking around to loan to friends. The Semi-auto and pump guns will be better to start with and you will get a better gun for your $ than a cheap O/U. I have noticed that the older 1100s seem to function better than the new ones You should be able to find a used Beretta in your price range as well.

Any gun that fits you will work

My kid hammers them with an 870. Or an 1100. Or pretty much any damn gun he picks up. [laugh]

Go to your local trap range. Tell the Trapezods that you want to Drink the Orange Kool-Aid. You'll likely get a bunch of advice, and offers to "try this". If you ahve to have an O/U, then, you'll end up with one. Personally, I'd keep an open mind - an auto or pump might "feel right".

Don't buy a "Name" or a "Model"....try, try, try them on.

Thank you to all that responded , your opinions and experience matter to me. I'll walk in my fathers footsteps slowly. Quack

Any gun that fits you will work

My kid hammers them with an 870. Or an 1100. Or pretty much any damn gun he picks up. [laugh]

Go to your local trap range. Tell the Trapezods that you want to Drink the Orange Kool-Aid. You'll likely get a bunch of advice, and offers to "try this". If you ahve to have an O/U, then, you'll end up with one. Personally, I'd keep an open mind - an auto or pump might "feel right".

Don't buy a "Name" or a "Model"....try, try, try them on.

Yeah, it's all individual between a particular shooter and gun. My $8200 Beretta EELL and my $1100 Beretta Xtrema 2 (currently my two primary skeet guns) are completely different in every way including balance, length of pull, recoil impulse, etc, but they both still fit me pretty well (for non-fitted guns) and so I can hit the targets pretty reliably.

Back
Top Bottom