Enough is enough with RI gov abusing her power, thinking of solutions

Because I don't like being part of a collective. With the pro-2A side it's too often an all or nothing approach and for certain states that's the right way to go, but when you're behind enemy lines you have to navigate the terrain differently.

Do you think I like the 7 day wait period? No, I don't, I think it's totally unnecessary because there's already a federal background check, but you know what? With the legislature and governor in RI, it's not going away anytime soon, if ever. In fact, we're probably lucky it's not a mandatory 30 day waiting period with how stupid and anti gun the general voter is.

My suggestion on a waiver card isn't some new law I want that replaces the current wait period, I said it could be an alternative to. Alternative, as in you have a choice: do a 7 day wait every time you buy a gun or fill out a form and get a waiver card in the mail after a few weeks that means you don't have to wait anymore. Didn't say that I want individual police chiefs making the decision on who they approve for the waiver card, I figure the AG's office can issue them.

Better yet, if the various towns and cities in RI would stop putting in these politically appointed chiefs who pussy foot around the shall issue CCW thing and each town has their own requirements for qualifications so people could get a CCW without all the bullsh*t involved, that would be great, but you know what? With how left RI town and city councils are, that's not going to happen.

So, the choice is either sit here and take it, offer alternative ideas, or throw money at pro 2A orgs and hope we get lucky with a lawsuit that lasts 5 or 10 years.

A Chief of Police issued Concealed Carry permit bypasses the 7 day wait. So there's your answer to your solution already in effect.

The reason they claim they put in the 7-day wait is for some asinine reason they think the Local C.O.P has some sort of new insight the feds are not privy to so they would not make any sort of "waiver card".

Can you name any in RI that are easy? Well, there are some, but I guess it depends on what your definition of easy is. I would apply if I could find a city or town that didn't require things that are non starters like giving them the log ons for my social media, getting a doctor's note, or having to try to make an appointment with a detective who is never in.

Lol how ignorant are you really? There are a lot of towns in RI where it's far easier to get a town carry license than it is in a typical MA town. A lot of towns in MA still pull
obstructionist bullshit and drag out appointments and such for weeks and months. Go to one of the big dump cities in MA and apply for an LTC and tell me how it
goes. Oh and by the way, assuming your on the move in exemption, you can't even legally take any of your guns etc out of the house during that interval, which can take anywhere from 1-3 months on a new app in a shit town.

Can you name any in RI that are easy? Well, there are some, but I guess it depends on what your definition of easy is. I would apply if I could find a city or town that didn't require things that are non starters like giving them the log ons for my social media, getting a doctor's note, or having to try to make an appointment with a detective who is never in.

There's plenty, the further away from Providence, the generally better you are.

Edit: even Providence will issue permits, no problem-o.

Really? Providence will issue to non residents? I know the law says they are supposed to, but since when has that ever mattered?

Ask on RIFOL for more details but they were issuing permits as of 2018 when I had a discussion with a 2A lawyer about practicing 2A law in RI.

If you're from SE Mass, I'd try Providence or Tiverton.

I don't live in Mass, I have no intention of moving to Mass. I know a few things, such as the LTC and FID is necessary to buy a gun.

I believe there is no state background check in Mass because you all have already gone thru one during the LTC/FID application, is this correct? If it is, that means in Mass you have no wait period to take possession of a gun, correct?

I'm asking because we've got a situation down here in RI with the Gov abusing her authority by using the state of emergency declaration to unlawfully increase the wait period for buying a gun from 7 days to up to 30 days (which just so conveniently happens to be the maximum amount of days the Federal 4473 form is valid for) under the excuse that local police departments are unable to complete their background check on purchasers in the 7 day period due to increase in volume.

The only way to avoid the now "up to" 30 day wait is if you have a RI CCW and those are a PITA to get for various and sundry reasons I think you all are aware of and I don't care to take the time to go into it. Basically, if you're in RI you're fugged with the possible 30 day wait unless you bother to jump thru hoops and wait the many months it takes to get the CCW.

So, the wait period was extend back in March and this week was extended to being applicable until June and while it's understandable why the delay was made in March, the police depts should be caught up by now and if they're not, then there's clearly an issue with RI police being able to conduct background checks in a reasonable amount of time and that needs to be addressed. Instead, in violation of RI law, the background checks are being delayed and it is my estimation and others that so long as the state of emergency is declared Gov. Raimondo will continue to extend that 30 day check. At this point it's obvious she's abusing her power for her own ideological goals.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm trying to formulate an argument for when I start spamming GOA, local radio, and local journalists and I would like to brush up some on how Mass has things set up because, while the AWB and licenses are unconstitutional, at least you guys aren't being forced to wait 30 days to buy a gun and one of the things that I'm going to harp on is how much of a PITA it is to get a CCW in RI when Mass basically hands them out in comparison.

Since the 7 day waiting law is never going away, one of the ideas I have to resolve the 30 day wait is for RI to introduce a waiver card that so long as you have the card, you don't have to wait the 30 days or 7 days and local police aren't overwhelmed at times with RI background checks. Basically, it's a RI FID card, but no hoops or range qualifications that you have to jump thru like with the CCW.
What types if guns are you seeking to purchase? If they are rifles or shotguns, do an end run around that idiot governor and purchase them out of state.

Rules for RI non resident LTC
Do not apply through the AGs office.​
Go on RIFOL research what towns are friendly. If you happen to own property in a town touch base with that chief and see what the rules are. A lot of chiefs will tell you to go to the AG but just say no.​
Get your C&R license it helps alot.​
Expect it to take at least 90 days.​
Oh yeah you need to sign a medical release letting the state exam any medical records from any psychiatric hospital between Boston and Providence.​
Thats all it takes.
With all this it is still easier than Massachusetts. Remember that. RI Chiefs are shall issue if you check all the boxes. AG is may issue.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Can't buy in MA, even with non-resident licenses.

Looks like you're driving to NH or ME for rifles or shotguns.
Just thought about it, I'd also be stuck transferring AWB compliant firearms and it would cost me $100 for a non-resident LTC. I think I'd rather pay for a RI waiver card than bother with that.

Back
Top Bottom