Engraving on a collector gun?

LLF

NES Member
I am considering bidding on a collector gun I found on GunBroker. It's a Luger. The GI who brought it home had his name engraved on the side of the pistol. Would this make the value of the gun go up, down or have no effect. Just curious. Opinions welcome.

It would decrease the value unless the person was famous and you had documentation proving the provenance of the engraving.

I'd buy it if it's a cool sounding name, like Duke Hatchet. Pass if it's ho-hum like Ronald Smith.

If it's not offensive as in scratched into the side of the gun with a nail, I'd buy it strictly as a shooter and bid accordingly.

Is the firearm being highlighted as an engraved piece? My guess is that is not (unless my GB search is broken). And if it isn't being highlighted by the seller then they already know the answer to your question, that it isn't. Even though they are not hiding the fact that it is engraved, they are not using it to their benefit, because well...... there is no benefit.

Is the firearm being highlighted as an engraved piece? My guess is that is not (unless my GB search is broken). And if it isn't being highlighted by the seller then they already know the answer to your question, that it isn't. Even though they are not hiding the fact that it is engraved, they are not using it to their benefit, because well...... there is no benefit.

What else is he not telling...

I am considering bidding on a collector gun I found on GunBroker. It's a Luger. The GI who brought it home had his name engraved on the side of the pistol. Would this make the value of the gun go up, down or have no effect. Just curious. Opinions welcome.

[pics]

If I was buying a Luger for a collection piece I would NOT buy one that was engraved with anything. Lugers are not hard to find. If you are buying it to shoot and do not care about collector value, you might consider it, I personally would not. But that's just me.

Gosh. I swear. Didn't we have this same question 6 months ago??? Not a complaint on the OP. I'm just getting massive deja vu.

Sorry about that... item is a "Black Widow" Luger.
Here is a picture of the engraving.
I do want a nice one... so I will be passing on this particular example.
BWL 01.jpg
It would make an interesting conversation piece. I tried finding info on the name -- no dice.

Decreased value gun only worth buying as a shooter, if it is even in good shooting condition. You will most likely never get your money back, definitely not an investment piece.

I've got a 1908 Colt that was engraved to some officer of something at some point. IT came at a decent discount, so I bit. The fact that it was engraved sort of caused the owner to NOT shoot it considerably over the last 100 or so years. So I got a nice condition 08 Colt for cheap money.

Depends on what you want it for. I wanted an 08 Colt.

I definitely want a nice unmolested Black Widow for a decent price nothing insane. I was bidding on one yesterday went for over three grand. I'm passing on the engraved version. It would make a good conversation piece but not much more. If I was a better historian I would try to find out who the guy was. I bet lots of these came home after WWII and it does not surprise me that some GI who made it out had his name engraved on a souvenir.

I definitely want a nice unmolested Black Widow for a decent price nothing insane. I was bidding on one yesterday went for over three grand. I'm passing on the engraved version. It would make a good conversation piece but not much more. If I was a better historian I would try to find out who the guy was. I bet lots of these came home after WWII and it does not surprise me that some GI who made it out had his name engraved on a souvenir.

Google reports Archer Combs Williams enlisted Nov 6 1942. Civil occupation was stock clerk. He was a married college grad, so I'm guessing her served in logistics. By the way, the that Luger sold at Auction for $1100 on August 26 of this year.

Back
Top Bottom