Engineer creates the world's first real-life retractable 'Star Wars' lightsaber that burns at over 4,000°F and can slice through METAL

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Engineer creates the world's first real-life retractable 'Star Wars' lightsaber that burns at over 4,000°F and can slice through METAL
  • Canadian James Hobson, 'the Hacksmith' built the plasma-based lightsaber
  • It is powered by propane gas, mixed with oxygen and is fully retractable
  • The beam is around 4,000°F and therefore can cut through sheet steel
A popular YouTuber has created the first functioning lightsaber, using propane gas burning at around 4,000°C to create a retractable plasma beam.

Canadian James Hobson, known as 'the Hacksmith', has a following of ten million subscribers and works on turning popular science fiction items into reality.

Inspired by a love of Star Wars, he has previously made various lightsabers, but wanted to produce 'the world's first, retractable, plasma-based' version.

For this, the internet-famous engineers used liquid petroleum gas, a fuel tucked away in many sheds and often used to power barbecues.

This is stored in a custom-built backpack, and travels to the device along a tube, making the build more akin to an early-generation 'proto-saber' than the weapons wielded by Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Those backpack-free designs are currently beyond the reach of our technology, as they would require D-sized batteries capable of churning out more power than a nuclear power plant, Mr Hobson says.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmmmm. looks like a TurboTorch running on propane/oxygen mix. that is a common gas mix in the glassblowing industry.

it looks like the trick was some sort of mixing chamber that allowed the gas flame to extend out longer than normal.

it looked like the torch head was also water cooled, if i saw it right...that is how he was able to hold in with some thin leather gloves.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
hmmmm. looks like a TurboTorch running on propane/oxygen mix. that is a common gas mix in the glassblowing industry.

it looks like the trick was some sort of mixing chamber that allowed the gas flame to extend out longer than normal.

it looked like the torch head was also water cooled, if i saw it right...that is how he was able to hold in with some thin leather gloves.
Wish me luck...

I bought a $12 butane torch on Amazon.
I using it for this project...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiglA_Qf7M&feature=youtu.be

I need to heat up and remove a piece of plastic from a key.

It's for my future motorcycle and I'm starting off with a spare key since I can't afford anything else.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Canadian James Hobson, 'the Hacksmith' built the plasma-based lightsaber
  • It is powered by propane gas, mixed with oxygen and is fully retractable
A popular YouTuber has created the first functioning lightsaber, using propane gas burning at around 4,000°C to create a retractable plasma beam.

Canadian James Hobson, known as 'the Hacksmith', has a following of ten million subscribers and works on turning popular science fiction items into reality.

Inspired by a love of Star Wars, he has previously made various lightsabers, but wanted to produce 'the world's first, retractable, plasma-based' version.

For this, the internet-famous engineers used liquid petroleum gas, a fuel tucked away in many sheds and often used to power barbecues.

This is stored in a custom-built backpack, and travels to the device along a tube, making the build more akin to an early-generation 'proto-saber' than the weapons wielded by Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Those backpack-free designs are currently beyond the reach of our technology, as they would require D-sized batteries capable of churning out more power than a nuclear power plant, Mr Hobson says.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for good blaster by your side kid”
- Han Solo

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this channel for a while. These are nerds with conviction. If you go back to their beginning, the main guy is a still skinny engineer looking dude. He put on like 30 pounds of muscle just to look the part in the Marvel stunts (Thor/Capt America). That's dedication in the name of nerd....lol. Probably helped that he got Marvel sponsorship.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
take videos for us!
I don’t have enough arms to hold everything.

It’s on the back burner anyway. No rush on that project. I want a CRF250L rally not a ruckus as the key cover says. The cover says ruckus or grom.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A lot of not much. He used an off the shelf plasma jet nozzle, and added decorations, a portable gas pack and electronically operated valves to control the gas flow. There was no "invention" of the concept of a laminar stream of plasma coming out of a nozzle he mentions was bought ready made for $4000.
Ok, so the sabre requires more energy than a nuclear power plant to run. Most impressive he was able to put more than a power plant's worth of energy into a backpack.

Baby Billy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A popular YouTuber has created the first functioning lightsaber, using propane gas burning at around 4,000°C to
Well which one is it? Canada...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks great for opening doors. Cutting open cars in half and keeping the neighborhood safe if looters start running amok.

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Many great inventions begin with a goofy hack that looks like Steampunk and out of the movie The Time Machine. As technology is refined, who knows... doesn’t the Army have a new weaponized laser also? It’s all science fiction, until someone builds the first working prototype...

Top Bottom