• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield Jungle Carbine

gene

NES Member
I sold my pristine Enfield #4 MK1 several years ago and have missed it ever since. I reload the 303 and it was't that expensive to shoot but I thought I could live without it and it turned out I couldn't. Missed the Enfields ever since. Got a great deal and a great rifle.

Last week I picked up a Jungle Carbine from another member, not the copies out there but a real Jungle Carbine and I have shot the rifle twice since then. Bore was shiny and the rifeling ( not sure of the spelling) was sharp.

Did the reserach and followed all the post and guess what, half the post on the internet as far as accuracy and recoil were totally innaccurate. The rifle has an average recoild of a 30-06 and the round were toching in a 2" group with iron sights and my eyes at 50 yards which was all I shot the last couple of times shooting.

I have found this kind of mis information with the internet on several of the guns I have purchased. I love the interet but it's amazing how many people post crap that they have no first hand knowledge of.

Love the gun and the 303 round but I am really dissapointed by information on the internet that would have otherwise convinced me this was not a good rifle had I not read all the post I did both good and bad.

Guess the info is either take it or leave it but for anyone that cares to grab one of these or any Enfield. They are accurate and a fun gun to shoot. Guess I'm going on an Enfield kick at the moment![smile]

Last edited:
Enfields are a blast. The No.4 is the greatest culmination of a bolt-action battle rifle, ever.

I don't have a No.5, but I did manage to score a Mk.V! Very unique blend of the No.I and No.4.

Jungle Carbines are pretty awesome, I've never had the chance to shoot one, but as far as I can tell, they rank up there in the "Make a grow man giggle" category.

Enjoy it!

I allways say don't listen to the story tellers, if you like the sound of the gun and think you would really like it, buy it or find one to shoot, it's the only way to find out if you are going to like it or not.

Worse case is you don't like the gun and if the money you droped on it wasn't to bad you should be able to make it up by reselling it.

Glad your enjoying it, now go shoot it some more [smile] .

.....I love the internet but it's amazing how many people post crap that they have no first hand knowledge of....

Welcome to the Internet.

Have 9 Enfields, the most of one type in my collection! They are 7 military and 2 sporters and the sporters are done so good I may put them back to original. My favorites are my Jungle Carbine and a #4 w/scope, the scope isn't original but everything else is! Also a #2 in .308, haven't fired the .308 yet but it's on the game plan for the future!! Joe

Have 9 Enfields, the most of one type in my collection! They are 7 military and 2 sporters and the sporters are done so good I may put them back to original. My favorites are my Jungle Carbine and a #4 w/scope, the scope isn't original but everything else is! Also a #2 in .308, haven't fired the .308 yet but it's on the game plan for the future!! Joe

Why would anyone NEED 9 rifles.........................................HA. Kidding.

If I had half of your money, ooooo the things I would buy.

I have a number of SMLEs, including a No 5. MkI. I've never fired that one, but have no qualms about doing so. There is some pre Internet information regarding accuracy problems that the British experienced during and after WWII. It's referred to as "Wandering Zero" and the American Rifleman had some information a few years back on it. Well, actually several years back. The information was published in a compilation of American Rifleman articles that is available from Amazon.

The problems seem to have been severe enough that the British Army withdrew the rifle from service earlier than they had planned. Of course the humidity in the areas where they deployed them might have been a contributing factor, but my recollection is that they never figured out the cause or a solution.

I have a number of SMLEs, including a No 5. MkI. I've never fired that one, but have no qualms about doing so. There is some pre Internet information regarding accuracy problems that the British experienced during and after WWII. It's referred to as "Wandering Zero" and the American Rifleman had some information a few years back on it. Well, actually several years back. The information was published in a compilation of American Rifleman articles that is available from Amazon.

The problems seem to have been severe enough that the British Army withdrew the rifle from service earlier than they had planned. Of course the humidity in the areas where they deployed them might have been a contributing factor, but my recollection is that they never figured out the cause or a solution.

There has been speculation that the complaints stemmed from their desire to get a semi auto at the time like the militaries of other nations. US and the Garand as an example another favorite of mine to shoot.

hello i have my grandmas jungle carbine all numbers matching and at 98% condition and its a real one without import marks i have shot it once and it shot amazing had no problems with it i have the matching sling and the only thing i am missing is the bayonet i shot 3 inch groups at 75 yards it was nice the recoil i thought to me alot less then my m44 carbine but the jungle carbine is my favorite i love the enfields i got a sporter one but i dont like the sights i want a scope on it

About a year ago I was lucky enough to score my No5 for $250 at my local shop. It's an all matching, 1945 with a capped forend. It was missing the upper hand guard but I picked up a cut down No4 from Numerich. I've heard of "Wandering Zero" but I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, an old reloader that worked at the shop I bought my No5 from had a similar issue with flex from his GRI Enfield 2A. Depending on how hot he loaded the round his point of aim would wander between ten o'clock and four o'clock. According to the Wikiopedia article on the Jungle Carbine......

"However, modern collectors and shooters have pointed out that no Jungle Carbine collector/shooter on any of the prominent internet military firearm collecting forums has reported a confirmed "wandering zero" on their No. 5 Mk I rifle, leading to speculation that the No. 5 Mk I may have been phased out largely because the British military did not want a bolt-action rifle when most of the other major militaries were switching over to semi-automatic longarms such as the M1 Garand and SKS."

Back
Top Bottom