• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield Ct. police come to your house for Pistol permit????

My first selectman (well, woman in this case) signed the temporary state pistol permit my town issued me. I'd have to go back and check to see who actually signed my C&R app.

OK, now having seen this posted a few times puzzles me . . .

Is there a CT law that requires a LE sign-off on a C&R FFL application?

The application itself only requires that you give a copy to the CLEO (and put the name of the CLEO on the form) and requires no action on their part. Even in bass-ackwards MA that is the way it is done.

Yep. Every town in CT with a resident trooper, the 1st Selectman is the CLEO.

Absolutely right! I know a former Resident Trooper from a town in Connecticut who submitted BATFE applications to have personally owned Class III items for and had to have the town's first selectman sign off on them as the CLEO.

OK, now having seen this posted a few times puzzles me . . .

Is there a CT law that requires a LE sign-off on a C&R FFL application?

The application itself only requires that you give a copy to the CLEO (and put the name of the CLEO on the form) and requires no action on their part. Even in bass-ackwards MA that is the way it is done.

Yeah, that seems right actually as far as I recall. I just sent the paperwork to the BATF with acknowledgement that I also sent a copy to the CLEO. I sent copies to the resident trooper so I really don't know if the selectwoman even ever got a copy. I guess the BATF doesn't feel it's that important to check or they did and were satisfied with whever my copies ended up.

My tip for ffl signups: tell them you want to sell at gun shows (thats what they want right?) and put your office hrs at 3-5am on sunday. You'll never see a ATF agent -- I never did, over 20+ yrs of kitchen table dealing.

My tip for ffl signups: tell them you want to sell at gun shows (thats what they want right?) and put your office hrs at 3-5am on sunday. You'll never see a ATF agent -- I never did, over 20+ yrs of kitchen table dealing.

Thats actually not good advice anymore.

Despite what the media says about the gun show loop hole, the ATF will NOT give you a FFL if you sell primarily at gun shows. In fact, once you have an FFL you CAN'T legally sell at gun shows. A licensee can only transact the sale of firearms at the address on the license.

Its crazy.

The part about office hours, I agree with.

Thats actually not good advice anymore.

Despite what the media says about the gun show loop hole, the ATF will NOT give you a FFL if you sell primarily at gun shows. In fact, once you have an FFL you CAN'T legally sell at gun shows. A licensee can only transact the sale of firearms at the address on the license.

Its crazy.

The part about office hours, I agree with.

Huh???????

You better check the laws again. Some years ago BATFE issued a ruling/clarification that allows any Dealer FFL to sell at any gun show in the same state as his licensed premises.

If this weren't the case, there would be no gun shows as nobody's licensed premises is the Big E, Marlboro Trade Center, etc.!!

Huh???????

You better check the laws again. Some years ago BATFE issued a ruling/clarification that allows any Dealer FFL to sell at any gun show in the same state as his licensed premises.

If this weren't the case, there would be no gun shows as nobody's licensed premises is the Big E, Marlboro Trade Center, etc.!!

Can you find that ruling? I was running a class recently and 2 attendees wanted to purchase guns from me at the class. I called my local ATF branch and they told me that I can only sell firearms at the location listed on my license. So we all went back to my shop and I did the transfer.

I am not surprised I got bad information from the ATF. Jesus. That's what I get for going to "the source".

I don't doubt you are right. I'd just like some documentation.

Can you find that ruling? I was running a class recently and 2 attendees wanted to purchase guns from me at the class. I called my local ATF branch and they told me that I can only sell firearms at the location listed on my license. So we all went back to my shop and I did the transfer.

I am not surprised I got bad information from the ATF. Jesus. That's what I get for going to "the source".

I don't doubt you are right. I'd just like some documentation.

Google is your friend! [wink]

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/firearms/ATF_I_5300 23A.pdf

This notice applies to activities permitted at bona fide gun shows, as defined in Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 478.100. Federal firearms licensees (“FFLs” or “Dealers”) may only sell firearms at gun shows within the State in which their licensed premises is located.

Teaching a class is NOT a "bona fide gun show" so you were right in that instance.

There you go folks ... don't want to pay $$$$ for ammo certificate, AW reg, whatever else they can think of ... just get a fll ... good for 4 yrs; you don't sell a single gun? Just turn in the license after 4 yrs.

Len - thanks for that. Very helpful.

David -
It gets even better. Congress, in their annual appropriations bill for ATF funding has since 2004 prohibited the ATF from revoking a license for "lack of business activity"

Last edited:
Len - thanks for that. Very helpful.

David -
It gets even better. Congress, in their annual appropriations bill for ATF funding has since 2004 prohibited the ATF from revoking a license for "lack of business activity"

Good to know ! The more you know, the less you blow!

By the way, I did get my permanent (well, 5 year) state permit last week in Montville. What a nice thing that was to go 15 minutes down I-395 instead of trucking my butt to Middletown. Again, my very helpful resident trooper informed me of them doing permits at the Montville troop the 2nd full week of every month. He saved me a big hastle (and time and gas). There were only a couple of other people there ahead of me and I was in and out pretty quickly, 15-20 mins maybe. I know a couple of other troops do it other weeks but I forget which ones when, it's listed on the DESPP web site.

My buddy just got a call about his permit, they said they need to come to his house for a few questions..Said it should only take 10min or so...

Thought that was weird.. Maybe its the norm now there???

That happened to me in Norwich when I was building my SBR. Said they wanted to make sure the receiver I purchased was a pre-ban. One was a cool guy the other played the tough guy, not talking, smiling, etc.

A receiver does not have to be pre-ban for it to be registered as an SBR.

They are two completely different things.

Pre 4/4/13, a post ban AR SbR would just have to be built in compliance with the AWB in effect from 94 to 13.

Post 4/4/13, any AR or receiver owned prior to 4/4/13 can be built any way you want.

Either way, the appropriate response is to tell them to go pound sand . . politely of course. Something like, "your visit has no grounding in law and is not statutorially required. But thanks for the offer. "

Also, remember there is no more pre-ban vs post ban in CT. At least with respect to 94 guns. Anyone who bought a neutered politically correct AR between 94 and 13 is now free to add a telescoping stock, flash hider, threaded bbl, or bayonet lug.

Thats part of the irony of the new law. For AR focused people who stocked up with a lifetime supply of lowers at $69 each, the law actually makes things better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom