• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield Ct. police come to your house for Pistol permit????

In Meriden this is standard practice. A detective comes to your house and asks a few questions that you have already answeredon your forms ... basically they just want to check you out in person and see what you place looks like to make sure you aren't a crazy. I don't endorse the policy, but it's what some cities do. It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal, because its not required and its out side the lawful requirements. Most people don't know this, so they comply.

Most people think "I hope they give me a pistol permit".

When in reality they should simply see it as a process that WILL produce a pistol permit at the end.
You don't think, "I hope they give me a drivers license".

CT is effectively a SHALL ISSUE state. Applicants should conduct themselves accordingly.

Don

In Meriden this is standard practice. A detective comes to your house and asks a few questions that you have already answeredon your forms ... basically they just want to check you out in person and see what you place looks like to make sure you aren't a crazy. I don't endorse the policy, but it's what some cities do. It's not a big deal.

Are the cops medical professionals as well?

Are the cops medical professionals as well?

Some towns have tried to get applicants to sign medical releases. Notably New Haven which also tries to get you to sign a release to allow them to pull your credit history and talk to your employer. Crazy. But you simply say "No" and they move on. Its the equivalent of a cop asking "do you mind if we come in to talk". If you say "no" they go away.

Enfield police go to your neighbors and tell them that you're applying for a pistol permit and ask if you've had any problem with them. Just confirming what someone said above.

ETA: I was visiting someone when the police showed up to perform such a check on their neighbors. This was at least 1 year ago.

Enfield police go to your neighbors and tell them that you're applying for a pistol permit and ask if you've had any problem with them. Just confirming what someone said above.

ETA: I was visiting someone when the police showed up to perform such a check on their neighbors. This was at least 1 year ago.

So if your neighbor doesn't like guns you are screwed???

As far as I could tell, it was more of a "do you have any problems with your neighbor X", "we're asking because he applied for a pistol permit". I don't think it was phrased to ask the opinion about guns.

No. CT is a de-facto shall issue state. If they decide to not issue you the permit, you can bring it to the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) who will order them to issue. As long as you are not legally disqualified from getting a PP, then you will get one in CT.

For all the new restrictions on what you can own, the process and your rights under the process were unaffected by the new law. The biggest thing is that there is now a mental health professional on the BFPE.

I live in Enfield and I just had a detective at my house today. In fact the reason I joined this forum was that I was searching online about the legality of these interviews and there was another thread here I wanted to respond to.

The detective called my house a few days ago and said he needed to do an interview with me and it needed to be at my house. I turned in my permit application 7 weeks ago tomorrow.

We talked for about 20 minutes and he was very polite and professional and I was friendly back to him. I asked why Enfield was doing this as other towns are definitely not and he said his Chief set the policy to do these interviews to determine if the candidate was mentally suitable for a permit. I asked what would happen if I refused to answer any of the questions and he said they would just investigate and find out the answers anyway and it would slow down the process. I answered all of the questions, but I am now regretting that. Especially when he asked for contact information for my wife and teenage children (who were not home at the time) and my supervisor at work. He also knocked on the doors of both of my next door neighbors, and the 3 houses across the street to question them.

In hindsight I wish I had refused some of the questions of maybe even the entire interview. I'm an honorably discharged veteran with zero criminal record, isn't that enough? I thought Ct just had a ruling from the BFPE about this exact topic, do he local police offices just ignore it.

Last edited:
You met all the legal requirements for a CT License to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (a/k/a/ "Pistol Permit) when you submitted a complete application. Everyone should refuse to assist. Period.

They MUST issue you a permit. And if they refuse, you have recourse in the Board of Firearms Permits Examiners.

I've said for years that CT PP applicants should look at the process the same way that you look at applying for a drivers license. You do the process and you get the license. You aren't sitting at home hoping and praying that they "give" it to you. If you meet the legal requirements, they are REQUIRED to issue you the permit. And they do.

Back in June or July, the Board heard about 30 cases of people who were simply delayed after submitting a complete application. Because there was not dispute regarding facts, they ordered the issuing authorities (the towns) to issue the licenses.

With respect to PP issuance, CT is nowhere near as bad as MA or RI.

Glad these idiots are spending time doing this while the $hitbags who don't apply for permits continue carrying illegally and murdering people. Very smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I live in Enfield and I just had a detective at my house today. In fact the reason I joined this forum was that I was searching online about the legality of these interviews and there was another thread here I wanted to respond to.

The detective called my house a few days ago and said he needed to do an interview with me and it needed to be at my house. I turned in my permit application 7 weeks ago tomorrow.

We talked for about 20 minutes and he was very polite and professional and I was friendly back to him. I asked why Enfield was doing this as other towns are definitely not and he said his Chief set the policy to do these interviews to determine if the candidate was mentally suitable for a permit. I asked what would happen if I refused to answer any of the questions and he said they would just investigate and find out the answers anyway and it would slow down the process. I answered all of the questions, but I am now regretting that. Especially when he asked for contact information for my wife and teenage children (who were not home at the time) and my supervisor at work. He also knocked on the doors of both of my next door neighbors, and the 3 houses across the street to question them.

In hindsight I wish I had refused some of the questions of maybe even the entire interview. I'm an honorably discharged veteran with zero criminal record, isn't that enough? I thought Ct just had a ruling from the BFPE about this exact topic, do he local police offices just ignore it.

My insensitive comment about "submission" was not so well received. Perhaps another stab at this is in order...

The above post in in line with other descriptions of this phase of the permit process. The general consensus is that while intrusive it is far less oppressive than the MA may issue gun permitting process. And the end result generally means the applicant gets what they were seeking in the first place. Getting what you want soothes the bumps and bruises received along the way. Unlike MA where you can have everything in order and still not get the freedom to carry.

On the surface my interest in threads like this could seem less than genuine but I see states like CT and MA setting the stage and providing models for more places to try and adopt similar models. So when one who currently enjoys more freedoms sees various levels of "Permit Process Submission" going on so close to home it becomes a bit of a concern. I see no special provisions protecting the future of my state of NH from this liberal driven suppression of self protection that runs so rampant around these parts.

Many could argue that if you have nothing to hide then what's the problem? I mean no disgruntled neighbor or employer would ever think to provide a less than accurate statement to the authorities right? Maybe put a slightly questionable mental health spin on it? And the teenage son who was just grounded for a week and lost the privilege to drive the family Volvo. You can count on an unbiased statement right there. Wife has a lover and is looking to put some bumps in the marriage? All of these concerns are put to rest because the OP so bravely asked the question and even more graciously provided the answer for all here to see:

"I asked what would happen if I refused to answer any of the questions and he said they would just investigate and find out the answers anyway and it would slow down the process."

Some towns have tried to get applicants to sign medical releases. Notably New Haven which also tries to get you to sign a release to allow them to pull your credit history and talk to your employer. Crazy. But you simply say "No" and they move on. Its the equivalent of a cop asking "do you mind if we come in to talk". If you say "no" they go away.

umm, literally speaking if you say no they are coming in..

A couple of lessons I learned from this:

1. I didn't (knowingly) sign anything allowing them to call my relatives or employer. I should of writen down the titles or form numbers of everything I filled out or signed. Or bettey yet taken a picture with my cell.

2. I didn't gather enough information before the interview. If I had I would have realized that I had more options.

Today I tried to get in contact by phone with the CT BFPE to get thier opinion on the interview. I tried all the phone numbers I could find online. They were either a recorded message with no option at the end to do anything except hang up or the number wasn't in service anymore. Tonight I'll e-mail them from my home account and try to get someone to talk to.

umm, literally speaking if you say no they are coming in..

Uh. No. They won't pull your credit history without a release. If they do they are civilly liable.

Again, the bottom line in CT as opposed to MA, is that you are participating in a process which will produce a pistol permit when completed. Nothing more. That process is clearly defined by statute. It does not include interviews or visits to your home. It does not include the completion of any forms other than the DPS-799 Application.

Further, the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners has ruled that any additional requirements are outside the law. So if you are denied for refusing additional requirements, the BFPE will order the issuing authority to issue you a permit without any finding of fact other than determining that you were denied for refusing additional requirements.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/bfpedeclrule.pdf

So again. You follow the process and a pistol permit pops out the back end. Its as simple as that. You don't need to felate your CLEO in your town. You don't have to put up with any crap.
You aren't begging for a permit like the Serfs in MA. You will be issued if you are not a prohibited person.

Don't give in. Don't submit to extra requirements like interviews. If you would like to refuse these kinds of things groups like

1) CT Carry (ctcarry.org) in full disclosure I'm on the board of this org and its a great group. We would be happy to help
2) CCDL - they are pretty busy with a suit against the AWB now, but its a great group of guys. There people active with CCDL who would be happy to help you.

If anyone wants guidance on how to refuse additional requirements, please PM me. I'm very experienced in this and have assisted more people than I can remember in this area.

Don

This is ridiculous. I am so sick of politicians just ignoring the laws they are SWORN TO PROTECT and making the police enforce their own political agenda instead of the actual law. Get them all out on their a$$es now, I have had enough.

I am still waiting on my permit. When I applied in late May the resident trooper could not have been nicer but he told me they were severley backlogged and it would be 12 weeks, maybe more. I thought there was a time limit they had to adhere to but that's fine, I understand there has been a flood of permit applications since April, I can be flexible with that part, within reason. I hope to have mine soon and I hope they don't pull any of this illegal interview crap on me. The thing is, as someone already said, I have nothing to hide and the trooper in my town seems like a very cool guy and I don't want to come across as a trouble maker or a jerk, especially in a small town like mine. I guess I would just have to say no and politely add that I'm not trying to be difficult but it's not a requirement of getting a permit and I am declining the interview on legal principle.

It is not right that they ask your neighbors or employer either. Does the bartender or guy at the package store or pharmacy get to interview people to make sure you are "stable" enough to buy alcohol and/or prescription strength drugs? Nope, this is discrimination. If they were allowed to interview neighbors to make sure people didn't have any undisclosed income when they are on state aid the freakin' ACLU would be in an uproar and idiot boy Obama would have his little puppet Maloy issuing apologies and settlement checks left and right, yet it's ok to invade our privacy and take the word of neighbors who might be pissed at you because your dog took a big steaming dump on their lawn one time.

Greetings. I live PA and have a non-resident CT Pistol Permit. Have had it for a few years. All I have to say is that it was very easy to receive the permit. Went through all the paperwork and the turnaround was about four weeks as I recall.I find that amazing compared to what CT residents have to go through.

Carl,

The statute says 40 days. I'd suggest you get yourself on the next available agenda spot with the BFPE. They will order the PD to issue the permit. It may take 4-6 months to get on the agenda, but there is no harm in starting the process. Just as a backup. PM me if you would like some assistance with this.

Carl,

The statute says 40 days. I'd suggest you get yourself on the next available agenda spot with the BFPE. They will order the PD to issue the permit. It may take 4-6 months to get on the agenda, but there is no harm in starting the process. Just as a backup. PM me if you would like some assistance with this.

I appreciate that and if it doesn't come pretty soon I will do that. The only thing is, I don't want to get my resident trooper in any sort of trouble or have it look bad for him. I have lived in the same small town almost my whole life and maintaining a good relationship with town authorities is handy as we all sort of know each other. I won't be jerked around to where my legal rights are being trampled on either. All that said, the trooper really was very accomodating, he has no anti-gun agenda or anything like that, he is just buried in permit applications (he showed me the stack of them and it looked like an awful lot to me). So if it isn't going to cause any trouble for him then I will get on the BFPE agenda sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
The PD here in Rindge, NH does 10 a week on average. Mine took 4 days.

My CT in Danielson took 12 days.

How many does he have? 1,000?

They're jerking you around. Get on the list.

Last edited:
The PD here in Rindge, NH does 10 a week on average. Mine took 4 days.

My CT in Danielson took 12 days.

How many does he have? 1,000?

They're jerking you around. Get on the list.

I honestly don't think he his jerking me around, he had well over 100 and he's just one guy with other responsibilities. Danielson is way bigger and has more resources. When I took the class the instructor said 8-10 weeks is pretty normal in our area which is mostly small towns and this guys knows what he is talking about.

Since April permit requests have more than trippled in most towns now that you need either a pistol permit or ammo certificate to buy ammo. So lots of people are going for their permit that otherwise would not have bothered. Years ago, I'm sure it went quicker and out of state permits are much, much quicker, that's no secret, as backwards as it is (matches this state).

Like I said, I'm not going to let it go too much longer but I have learned that making a big stink is usually not the wisest thing if it's not necessary. If I have to get that way I will but as long as I get my permit before Oct. 1st I'm happy. I won't wait that long to get on the list but I'm not going to stomp up and down just yet. Like I said, if it's not going to cause trouble for the trooper I will get on the list now. if it is going to cause trouble I will give it another week or two then get on it anyway.

Man o man things have changed. I've lived here in town since 1962 and my permits were issued here years ago. It was all proforma. As much as I like this chief, I am totally against and do not believe they have the right to expose information about a private person's effort to obtain a pistol permit. It's one thing to quietly investigate an applicant. It's another thing entirely to inform neighbors, friends, and especially employers of their intent. Firearms affect people differently. You may be a model citizen but the idea of you getting a permit by someone who "hates" or is totally afraid of guns will most certainly skew your relationship with them. It's none of their damned business. What if the boss has to decide to promote someone and changes his mind about the employee with the permit just because of it? What if the kids who play with that permiter's family are told never to go to their house again because of the potential of firearms on the premisis? See where this goes?

I have fought against this personally and with the aid of our State Senator, John Kissel. I would politely but firmly protest to the chief in writing my displeasure with them exposing my business to non-family members and my employer and the reasons why. Hell, why not just post a local announcement in the paper? I'm sure they'd get plenty of responses! I'd also let the BOE know of this major change in Enfield's permit situation. This is a far cry from past behavior. If the Chief feels the need to check on someone, fine but don't make it a public event.

Rome

My friend did get his permit...

Big F&*ing deal. Its CT not MA. You aren't begging your town for a permit.

Chief Sferrazza is good guy. He was the training officer in Enfield when I did business with them. But you don't become chief by being politically ignorant.
Prior to him, Chief Ron was around, he did whatever his second in command told him to do. I can't remember his name.

Of the 4 top managers, I know one to be a very pro RKBA guy. I've done ride alongs and shot IDPA with him. I'm surprised by this.

But remember folks. CT is a de-facto shall issue state. They can not put restrictions on your license. Print the state form, fill it out, get yourself printed (anywhere) and mail it in. That is all that id required by law. They will issue you a permit.

Don

Don, Herb Foy (my good friend) was before Ron. Ron succeeded him and then Carl took over. I had an excellent relationship with Ron and we had conversations about my collecting. I even offered to do a lecture for the leos about firearms I've collected but we could never find a good time.

I've said I have no problem with a chief (carl or anyone else) doing some background on an applicant. That's part of his "suitability" power and he can't know everyone in town like they might have 20 years ago. HOWEVER, I stand by my objection that this is a private matter and should not be subject to scrutiny of everyone you come in contact with when its exposed by the local detectives during their investigation. I found out years later than when I applied for my C&R, ATF had actually asked for character ref. from some neighbors I knew however they never informed the neighbors what it was for. That's the way it should be with local permits.

Rome

We don't agree on suitability, but I agree with you on everything else. If they are going to do this, they have a responsibility to keep it private.

For you mass people. Suitability is for the most part irrelevant in CT. There were so many abuses in years past that the FBPE has essentially told that they will overrule any IA who refuses based on suitability. Result: CT is a de-facto Shall-Issue state.

Don

I honestly don't think he his jerking me around, he had well over 100 and he's just one guy with other responsibilities. Danielson is way bigger and has more resources. When I took the class the instructor said 8-10 weeks is pretty normal in our area which is mostly small towns and this guys knows what he is talking about.

Don't fall into the trap of sympathizing with people who think their personal time is more important than you lawfully exercising your rights.

Think of it this way; if you left your job with a stack of paperwork "this high" on your desk every night, wouldn't your boss have something to say about it? Aren't you obligated to finish your work before leaving for the day? I know I am, and I've fired subordinates on a few occasions for "never having the time" to get their work done.. Miraculously, I've also had all-stars and b-level employees who manage to thrive or at least succeed with the exact same workload.

There is no excuse. They bought into the job. Finish it on your shift or off - doesn't matter. They're not baking cookies and coming up a couple dozen short, they're messing with your rights.

Don't fall into the trap of sympathizing with people who think their personal time is more important than you lawfully exercising your rights.

The culture of some jobs, police included, is that overtime is paid. Are you suggesting a licensing officer who is not authorized for overtime should work for free? The real beef is with the REMF who is not allocating enough staff time to the job.

Well, I know our resident trooper was off duty the Saturday he took my application and he was sick as a dog too. At least he said he was off duty and was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. I felt terrible for the guy and gave him some cough drops which he appreciated very much. Anyway, he called me Saturday and said my permit was all set and I could come get it at my convenience. No wierd interviews, no banging on my neighbors' doors as far as I know. Unfortunately I was working so I could not pick it up but I will get it as soon as I can this week. So I am happy, glad things still seem pretty low key around here. Maybe if enough people speak up Enfield will stop with the interviews, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom