• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield Ct. police come to your house for Pistol permit????

slugworth

NES Member
My buddy just got a call about his permit, they said they need to come to his house for a few questions..Said it should only take 10min or so...

Thought that was weird.. Maybe its the norm now there???

A visit concerning a PERMIT ?

Assuming the guy does not even OWN a Gun or Ammo, how the hell could he possibly be prosecuted ?

Unless he LIED on the Application.

Uh-Oh.

Maybe it IS Lawyer Time.

Yes sir...

I'll see what happend tonight when i call him...I read some stories they talk to your neibors and call your place of work too...

A visit concerning a PERMIT ?

Assuming the guy does not even OWN a Gun or Ammo, how the hell could he possibly be prosecuted ?

Unless he LIED on the Application.

Uh-Oh.

Maybe it IS Lawyer Time.

It's very hard to believe they are vetting every Applicant like this.

I'd be wetting my pants.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

Way too scary.

Matter of fact he told me the detectives came over and asked his girlfriend about the guy across the street from them. Said he was applying for a pistol permit and was he ever a problem ect.

Matter of fact he told me the detectives came over and asked his girlfriend about the guy across the street from them. Said he was applying for a pistol permit and was he ever a problem ect.

It seems they're looking to build a case against the neighbor. I bet there's more to it than just a casual visit to ask if neighbor X is a problem for the sake of a pistol permit.

So he told me they were there all of 5 min. And that they might be calling his boss and his girlfriend!! Maybe cuz she owns the house???

But that he should have it around the middle of June or so....and this was standard practice there...

this seems to be part of the new normal since Newtown. I know Waterford Connecticut is doing the same thing. Remember folks, there is no requirement to do this. You simply fill out the form and enclose the appropriate payment with the finger print card , sign it in front of a notary, and you're done that's all that is required. The end. You do not even have to submit it in person.

The BFPE has issued a declaratory ruling prohibiting these kinds of things.

Last edited:
Not required in CT and the law dictates he will get the permit.

DO NOT LET HIM TALK TO THE POLICE. He should tell them no, its not required and he will be following the CT law as written. He can call DPS and report them. He will get the permit.

Well I talked to him today and he said that the detective did go to his next door neibours house. All he asked was pretty the same questions that were on the app. Have you been arrested ever been on meds ect. Nothing about weapons at all.. He said the guy was real nice and he sees no problem with him getting it. Maybe towns are vetting people for the state. Cuz this is only a temp, he has to get his permanent one after.

Well I talked to him today and he said that the detective did go to his next door neibours house. All he asked was pretty the same questions that were on the app. Have you been arrested ever been on meds ect. Nothing about weapons at all.. He said the guy was real nice and he sees no problem with him getting it. Maybe towns are vetting people for the state. Cuz this is only a temp, he has to get his permanent one after.

Its obvious what they're doing, they want to see what kind of environment the person lives in. If there's crap all over the place and it smells like pot then they have a bettidea of things

However this is totally outside of the law. The only responsibility of the local issuing authority is to determine the correct identity of the applicant and if he is a prohibited person . That is all they are lawfully able to do.

The student of mine in Waterford who had a home visit said the guy was there for less than 5 minutes. He basically walked in, and saw a clean, well kept house, shook the applicant hand , asked him if he he had any questions, and left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Problem is that unless you live in NESville, who wants their neighbors knowing that you might own/carry guns? I know that I do not want my neighbors knowing anything about what I own/wear/carry or not! Maybe because I live in one of the most liberal bastions in MA, but "loose lips sink ships" is still a good motto and busybody neighbors have a habit of talking too much.

Problem is that unless you live in NESville, who wants their neighbors knowing that you might own/carry guns? I know that I do not want my neighbors knowing anything about what I own/wear/carry or not! Maybe because I live in one of the most liberal bastions in MA, but "loose lips sink ships" is still a good motto and busybody neighbors have a habit of talking too much.

I've lived in the same home for nearly 30 years. Despite this, I cannot state any of my neighbors are "Friends". That said, there is no animosity, and the two I asked for references on my LTC-A Application readily agreed, and I think that helped me get my License.

But yes, the less people who know I own and carry, the better.

No NRA Decals on Car or Home !

+1

The cops can do what they want with respect to your neighbors.

All the applicant can control is what they provide. And the law is very clear.

Completed application, signed and notarized
Money
Fingerprint card
Proof of training

PERIOD No interview. No visit to the Pd. No visit by the PD to your house. None of that is requried.

Here is the BFPE's declaratory ruling on "extra requirements":
http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/bfpedeclrule.pdf

here is the DPS 799 - aka the pistol permit application. Follow the instructions, and MAIL it in if you want .
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Don

In Meriden this is standard practice. A detective comes to your house and asks a few questions that you have already answeredon your forms ... basically they just want to check you out in person and see what you place looks like to make sure you aren't a crazy. I don't endorse the policy, but it's what some cities do. It's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom