• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Enfield 2A .308

Have had one for several years and it’s a fun rifle to shoot. Better known as an Ishapore 2A1. Mine has decent accuracy for a milsurp and the action is pretty good. Sites are pretty standard for a rifle that age.

It's a gap in my Enfield collection, but I would love to have one.

I prefer the No.4 and its sights, but I've always regretted not picking up a 2A/2A1 when they were cheap(er).

I see them going for ~$500 online. Mag-fed in NATO caliber, not a bad combination! Maybe someone makes an aftermarket no-drill rear sight to replicate the No.4 sights?

I see them going for ~$500 online. Mag-fed in NATO caliber, not a bad combination! Maybe someone makes an aftermarket no-drill rear sight to replicate the No.4 sights?

Well.... it's not really mag-fed. They were made to be reloaded with clips. That's not to say some people don't treat the mags as removeable, but that's not how they're designed.

Well.... it's not really mag-fed. They were made to be reloaded with clips. That's not to say some people don't treat the mags as removeable, but that's not how they're designed.
The L2A1s can use 10 round FAL charger clips instead of the usual Enfield 5 rounders. I think the magazines take 12 rather than 10 though because of the dimensional differences between 7.62x51mm NATO vs. 7.7x56mm Rimmed British.

The L2A1s can use 10 round FAL charger clips instead of the usual Enfield 5 rounders. I think the magazines take 12 rather than 10 though because of the dimensional differences between 7.62x51mm NATO vs. 7.7x56mm Rimmed British.

I think yes.

I've got experience with SMLEs, but none with L2A1s. I know the problem with treating the SMLE as a mag-fed involves the feed lips not retaining the rounds properly when it's out of the receiver. Do Ishy mags have the same problem if they're removed?

Yes, the feed lips get bent when the magazines are removed (well, when they are reinserted) and have to be adjusted. The magazines are meant to only be removable for cleaning and maintenance purposes. Reloading is supposed to be done singly by hand or with charger/stripper clips.

Last edited:
Yes, the feed lips get bench when the magazines are removed and have to be adjusted. The magazines are meant to only be removable for cleaning and maintenance purposes. Reloading is supposed to be done singly by hand or with charger/stripper clips.
also at one point the mags where tethered to the rifle by chain. i also read that the magazine latch is a "weak" design and would fail "easily" if mags where used as we know it today.

Back
Top Bottom