• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ending a wounded animal's suffering

kalash

NES Member
A reddit post got me thinking... Say you come across a deer that was hit by a car and left to die. It's gravely injured and suffering. In MA can you humanely end its life with a firearm or is that a bad idea in this state?

In MA you can either do the right thing and get in trouble or you can call someone else to do the right thing and through some crazy law maybe still get in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be nailed to the wall from several different angles. Discharging a firearm within city/town limits, discharge within 500' of a dwelling, hunting out of season.... the list is endless because the commies keep the laws intentionally vague.

You could be nailed to the wall from several different angles. Discharging a firearm within city/town limits, discharge within 500' of a dwelling, hunting out of season.... the list is endless because the commies keep the laws intentionally vague.

Yes. Call the local police and/or the MA F&G people. There are way too many ways to get into trouble here.

Yes. Call the local police and/or the MA F&G people. There are way too many ways to get into trouble here.

Don't talk to the police if you don't have to. I'm not a cop hater at all but it's just a hassle I don't need. My luck I'd have a tail light go out just as the cop arrives and I'd get a ticket for it. It's a deer, leave it be and it will die eventually. If it were in the middle of nowhere in a free state, sure put it out of it's suffering but in MA, CT, NY, etc, etc, just move along, nothing to see.

Such a sad state of affairs, for such a simple humane task. God help us.

Dean

Well, you know that in the blue states if you own a gun you must be one or more of the following:

Terrorist
Racist looking for a minority to shoot
Homophobe looking for LGBT night clubs to shoot up
Child killer looking for a school to shoot up (complete with your .88 magnum revolver)
Deplorable anti-govt militia-member agitator looking to incite a riot and overthrow the govt. (with your extra scary/killy "AR-47 rocket launching machine gun" with the "clips that hold 1,000 bullets" and the "shoulder thing that flips up")
Other - insert fake/trumped-up charge here
All of the above

Well, you know that in the blue states if you own a gun you must be one or more of the following:

Terrorist
Racist looking for a minority to shoot
Homophobe looking for LGBT night clubs to shoot up
Child killer looking for a school to shoot up (complete with your .88 magnum revolver)
Deplorable anti-govt militia-member agitator looking to incite a riot and overthrow the govt. (with your extra scary/killy "AR-47 rocket launching machine gun" with the "clips that hold 1,000 bullets" and the "shoulder thing that flips up")
Other - insert fake/trumped-up charge here
All of the above

I hate to say it, but those are the exact reasons why I stopped carrying my AK47

I swear if we gave liberals the whole US and just kept Death Valley to ourselves, we would still prosper and the US would look like Detroit.

Dean

If you let the cops shoot it, you get to keep it. If you shoot it, you go to jail

Tell that to the cops in Dover. I saw a deer hit and called the cops because the people who hit it were to shaken up. The deer was still alive and I asked the cop to put it down and he refused, he told me he was waiting for his friend to come and then he would put it down. I told him that the people gave me permission to claim it and they backed me up. the cop told me to get in my truck and go before he arrested me. I didnt feel like going to jail on a friday evening so i left.

This

24795dc085fb9a4ddd753b5f6c81b362.jpg

If you let the cops shoot it, you get to keep it. If you shoot it, you go to jail

Our floor supervisor called to cops about a deer that was struck by a vehicle. The officer fired a shot and he loaded the deer into the back of his truck. When he got home the the deers eyes were moving and still breathing. The officer missed

Tell that to the cops in Dover. I saw a deer hit and called the cops because the people who hit it were to shaken up. The deer was still alive and I asked the cop to put it down and he refused, he told me he was waiting for his friend to come and then he would put it down. I told him that the people gave me permission to claim it and they backed me up. the cop told me to get in my truck and go before he arrested me. I didnt feel like going to jail on a friday evening so i left.

Yes, that is the level of arrogance I would expect from many LEOs, sad but true.

In my town there are only a couple of cops that are "gun people" (probable hunters) and know HOW to put an animal down. Indeed the other cops will wait for one of them to arrive to shoot the deer. [Heard this numerous times on the scanner.]

No, if you shoot it, expect to be charged with discharge of a firearm over a roadway, discharging within 500' of a dwelling, etc. NOT a good idea even if it were to be the humane thing to do.

I dunno what to do with a wounded deer on the side of the road, but if that deer was trapped in a car, you would be allowed, under MA law, to use 'any means necessary' to get it out of the vehicle.

What an *******!

I have put 3 out of the misery here in NH that were hit by cars and no issues at all. Called NH Fish cop on the first one many years ago and his response "Why you bothering me, you are saving me the hassle of coming out". Another time I got a call from a friend who is a cop to drop one so he did not have to write a report why he fired his weapon, I think it was more he could not hit the broad side of a barn

Back
Top Bottom