• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Endangered vs. Protected

Hope I can get some clarification here.
News story on local CBS Boston affiliate quotes Newton PD who states coyote are 'protected' wildlife. Hmm, last I knew there was a hunting season on coyote. So I says to herself... replied 'well that's what the news said...'
Sure enough I've got the quote from the channel website. I looked up endangered, threatened, and special concern species on state website and no coyote listed. So I was about to send a correction email to Newton PD and or news station, but since I am not a hunter and unsure of competing federal protections what is the coyote status in Massachusetts?

Hit them with your car when in doubt. They are a nuisance and eat the pets of the well heeled inhabitants of said town. They will thank you.

I would say protected meaning they are essential for a healthy and vibrant foodchain and ecosystem. They certainly help with all the bastid rabbits and woodchucks in my yard.

I would argue, they're "regulated," as there's a defined season for hunting them.

This. Regulated, not 'protected' in sense that a media hack communications major understands. Soon we will have protests to end the merciless killing of the protected coyotes, LOL.

I’m still lost as to why some organizations who ask for money for endangered species also don’t do more to save such endangered animals.

For example, male lions kill cubs of prides they take over. Why don’t these organizations tranquilize the lions and move the cubs to a sanctuary till they get older if they’re so endangered? Otherwise, asking for donations to “save” endangered species is both hypocrisy and an exercise in futility.

If it’s the the law of nature we are respecting, according to them, then conservation is breaking said law.

Back
Top Bottom