End of private transfers in MA?

If this becomes law they should dismantle the EFA-10 requirement and dealers only do a Federal check and a simple license check without gun info should be enough. Since they all claim it's not registration.

If this becomes law they should dismantle the EFA-10 requirement and dealers only do a Federal check and a simple license check without gun info should be enough. Since they all claim it's not registration.
What, and do away with their non-registration data base? And how many hacks at the state level would have to be given different hack jobs? What the hell do you think this is, America? Jack.

That is truly an amazing statement. I don't question that you are sincere about that, but I sure wish I were in a business where a few minutes of computerized paperwork yielded $25-$40 in cash. [thinking] Perhaps if this nonsense ever really becomes law, maybe part-time, by-appointment-only "transfers-only" dealers will become a thing.

I consider myself faster than average doing the NICS check , problem with a transfer between 2 people is that , there are 2 people

So first gathering the sellers info, gun info, logging all of this into my bound book, then starting the sale to the other party about 5 minutes

4473 first , average about 5 minutes if the customer is familiar with the form , I’ve had people need to Start new forms because of errors and use up to 7 forms to get it correct and some people take up to 45 minutes to complete one 4473

then my part of the 4473 a couple minutes then NICS another 5 minutes sometimes up to 10 minutes then hopefully no delay

Now on to the state stuff , another 5 minutes as the state system is 9 out of 10 times very slow to respond , if it’s not crashed all together

then on top of that you’re retaining that paperwork for a minimum of 20 years and doing traces anytime the ATF calls for one, or scrutiny during your Audit all on something you didn’t even sell, yet you’re still responsible for all of this

So all in you’re looking at about a half hour to transfer between 2 parties if everything goes smooth or up to a hour if someone can’t follow directions or read the 4473 , now if this law did happen , stack up 4-5 people doing transfers which ends up being 8-10 because there are 2 people for each , on a Saturday when there are customers waiting to purchase and you’re Tying up resources doing private transfers

You wish you were in the business, but if you were you’d learn really fast that fee isn’t worth it

Now that I clarified my stance on “it’s a big pain in the ass”

I have to clarify that the thought of the government restricting you from selling your legally owned private property to another lawful purchaser makes me want to vomit

Its wrong .... period

You wish you were in the business, but if you were you’d learn really fast that fee isn’t worth it
My experience isn't nearly as bad as some members here are implying... but okay, I'll bite: What would the personal transfer fee have to be for it not to be an undue burden on the dealers even with the most clueless customers? [thinking] $50.00? $100.00? More?

I honestly wish that all the dealers in this awful state had customers taking numbers and lined up to buy just like Four Seasons on tax-free weekend, but my observation is that is rarely the case. Has a personal transfer ever held up a sale or made a customer walk? Maybe so... somewhere. I've not seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And if your price for a personal transfer is costing you money or lost sales, I believe you should raise it regardless of what the state might decide to do to us this time around. I hate the thought of our dealers losing money. In this awful anti-2A state, we need all the good dealers we can get.

My experience isn't nearly as bad as some members here are implying... but okay, I'll bite: What would the personal transfer fee have to be for it not to be an undue burden on the dealers even with the most clueless customers? [thinking] $50.00? $100.00? More?

I honestly wish that all the dealers in this awful state had customers taking numbers and lined up to buy just like Four Seasons on tax-free weekend, but my observation is that is rarely the case. Has a personal transfer ever held up a sale or made a customer walk? Maybe so... somewhere. I've not seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And if your price for a personal transfer is costing you money or lost sales, I believe you should raise it regardless of what the state might decide to do to us this time around. I hate the thought of our dealers losing money. In this awful anti-2A state, we need all the good dealers we can get.

You hit it right on the head

As of now if a get a couple of person to person transfers a week it’s no big deal, but if they passed some law that made it mandatory and it became a burden, I would stop doing them simply because raising the transfer fee wouldn’t be a option in my eyes

As of now for regular good customers that are here buying on a regular basis I normally don’t charge them at all or give them a big discount on the transfer

But if the shop was overrun every day with two person transfers I couldn’t sustain all the paperwork and time spent , and also would not hike the rate to make up for my time because, in my eyes that wouldn’t be fair for the guys just trying to sell their stuff

To answer your other question, I’ve had many customers held up because a transfer slogged along , and yes I’ve had customers walk also

To answer your other question, I’ve had many customers held up because a transfer slogged along , and yes I’ve had customers walk also
Wow!!! Impatient customers! But it's good to know that you are that busy! [thumbsup]

The fact that you feel you'd be forced to go "no private transfers" gets back to my point that non-stocking by-appointment-only "transfer-only" dealers might become a thing if the state doesn't object to it. Tiny commercial office spaces can be had for cheap. I'm a retired senior citizen and I'd love to have such a part-time business. [rockon]

Wow!!! Impatient customers! But it's good to know that you are that busy! [thumbsup]

The fact that you feel you'd be forced to go "no private transfers" gets back to my point that non-stocking by-appointment-only "transfer-only" dealers might become a thing if the state doesn't object to it. Tiny commercial office spaces can be had for cheap. I'm a retired senior citizen and I'd love to have such a part-time business. [rockon]

that's a good idea , I would absolutely entertain the idea of setting up a "private transfer station" for someone to run on their own in my shop and work out some kind of deal. so if it goes through and becomes reality keep me in mind!!

Back
Top Bottom