Encounter with Boston Cop while carrying today

I was traveling a quiet industrial street where I work and coming to a stop sign. There is only one other road entering the intersection on the left, a parking lot on the right and a one way going straight ahead. So, I slow to a crawl, looking left, not seeing anything coming, looking to the parking lot to the right, I see a BPD cruiser. I'm probably going 1 mph. Knowing the cop is usually there to catch cars coming the wrong way on the one way, I take the foot off the brake and roll beyond the stop sign. I see the blue lights go on and think, "WTF he can't be stopping me?" So, I stop. He moves the cruiser literally one car length. The rest goes like this:

Officer: "Driver's license and registration. Do you know why I stopped you?"
Me: "Yes, I think it was because I did not come to a full and complete stop at that stop sign." I hand him the DL, registration, and LTC
Officer: "Are you carrying now?"
Me: "Yes, Sir."
Officer: "Okay, this is going to be a warning." Hands me back the LTC, goes to the cruiser with the reg and DL for 5 minutes.
Officer: "Thank you for carrying lawfully." Hands me DL and warning.
Me: Shocked

Last edited:
Cool cop - as it should be in regards to CC a weapon.

By the way - with your statement '...because I did not come to a full and complete stop at that stop sign...' you admitted breaking a law, which would make fighting a ticket nearly impossible.

I was caught speeding in Barrington RI on Rt 114 where the speed limit changed to 30 from I think 45 or 50 and I missed seeing the speed limit sign... I handed the officer my car registration and what I thought was my MA driver's license. -- It was a dark evening.-- Officer handed back the license to me, "this is your gun permit", and gave a warning eventually. He didn't bother to ask if I was carrying (and I wasn't).

Last edited:
Next time you do that, have a throw down Pomeranian, It might give you a chance to run!
Seriously though, your kinda lucky the cop was secure in his masculinity.

I used to keep a buddy's FFL in my car in case I found something out of state I wanted shipped to MA. Someone else was stopped when driving my car and asked for "license and registration" and presented "License and FFL" by mistake - but fortunately nothing bad came of it.

Hmmmm maybe I should try handing my LTC to the next LEO that pulls me over. I mean it can't hurt the situation right?

Hmmmm maybe I should try handing my LTC to the next LEO that pulls me over. I mean it can't hurt the situation right?

It can if they give you the felony stop treatment. I've heard stories of that happening on NES, but never verified one.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have done it both ways, handed over my ltc, or not. I try to use my judgment when doing so - if it is a simple traffic stop, I tend not too - though once the officer came up and immediately asked me if I had any weapons. I told him I was carrying and would he like to see my LTC. You can be cooperative without making unnecessary statements, and I always advise that. Note that simple traffic stops do not count as seizures for Miranda purposes, though one should never volunteer information during an investigation.

Cool cop - as it should be in regards to CC a weapon.

By the way - with your statement '...because I did not come to a full and complete stop at that stop sign...' you admitted breaking a law, which would make fighting a ticket nearly impossible.

thats not true at all. I hold a class A drivers license and I just had a turning left on red that I was caught dead by the cop 2 cars back, it thrown out in court this past Monday. I was honest and said I did go through the red light and was just asking for a break. They through it out because I was honest about it.

Last edited:
I learned a long time ago....if you get stopped and the cop asks you if you know why he stopped you, always respectfully say "no". As soon as you say why he stopped you (even if it's not really why he stopped you), you have virtually NO chance of winning if you go to court. Why you think he stopped you and why he actually stopped you may be two completely different reasons.

Last edited:
I have done it both ways, handed over my ltc, or not. I try to use my judgment when doing so - if it is a simple traffic stop, I tend not too - though once the officer came up and immediately asked me if I had any weapons. I told him I was carrying and would he like to see my LTC. You can be cooperative without making unnecessary statements, and I always advise that. Note that simple traffic stops do not count as seizures for Miranda purposes, though one should never volunteer information during an investigation.

A traffic stop is a seizure.

Miranda is only needed if two things are met. EDIT: Custody AND Questioning.

Just an FYI. You have a 70/30 chance if you tell a LEO you are carrying legally and it to end like the OP. The reaction by the cop in the OP story should be the norm, though.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for ya. However, I have a family full of LEOs and they all say thing. Be respectful but NEVER say more then necessary, ever. Everything you say CAN and WILL be used against you...

I got stopped once while carrying. In Cambridge.

I handed him my LTC and then the officer asked if I was carrying. I answered his question, he went back to his cruiser and gave me a warning.

While not required, I think it might get you out of a citation.

I'm shocked that the BPD bothered to pull you over.

Remember, the BPPA opposed the 1976 ballot initiative that would have banned private ownership of handguns.

They have at least one traffic enforcement unit per district now. Plus the guys that work out of where you know who works who do a ton of traffic enforcement. I knew one district traffic guy that wrote 22 movers in three hours. Not to mention the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit guys that write a lot of citations on truck and bus drivers.

And yes, some of it is revenue enhancement, but a lot of it is safety related. They write a lot of tickets for not stopping for school buses or pedestrians in cross walks.

Back
Top Bottom