• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Encounter in Chicago, Illinois, shows a Gentleman allegedly stabbing a police officer with a butcher knife before being shot

Reptile

NES Member
Video released from a September 5, 2020, encounter in Chicago, Illinois, shows a suspect allegedly stabbing a police officer with a butcher knife before being shot dead by other officers.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that police converged on the suspect, 34-year-old Shaon Jermy Ochea Warner, at Vittum Park following an early morning report of a stabbing.

Officers ordered Warner to drop the knife, but he allegedly refused. A female officer then tased Warner, and he fell to the ground only to get back up.

Warner then allegedly charged the female police sergeant and stabbed at her with a butcher knife.

ABC 7 reported that “Warner appears to thrust the knife towards the sergeant’s abdomen, and the officers fire multiple shots at him.” Warner then fell again to the ground and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating the officer’s response to Warner. COPA says the “investigation into the officer’s actions, including use of deadly force, is in its early stages and will determine if the actions of the officers are in accordance with Department policy and training.”

I would like to think that if less lethal didn't work you would want to step it up. Anyways it looked clean to me.

So not judging anything here. And I probably watch way to many Steven Segal and Chuck Norris movies.

Aren't officers trained to at least defend themselves when they do not have access to a firearm?

I guess what I am asking is would all the cops get killed as easy as this one were stabbed if they had their guns taken away?

Shouldn't there be more in their bag of tricks than a taser and a gun?

And truthfully, and I am a slow runner, but if someone started running at me with a knife I would do my best to hightail it out of there.

The other two guys had guns so they would still be able to shoot.

And it happened in early September, Shouldn't they have posted the results of the findings by now.

Video released from a September 5, 2020, encounter in Chicago, Illinois, shows a suspect allegedly stabbing a police officer with a butcher knife before being shot dead by other officers.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that police converged on the suspect, 34-year-old Shaon Jermy Ochea Warner, at Vittum Park following an early morning report of a stabbing.

Officers ordered Warner to drop the knife, but he allegedly refused. A female officer then tased Warner, and he fell to the ground only to get back up.

Warner then allegedly charged the female police sergeant and stabbed at her with a butcher knife.

ABC 7 reported that “Warner appears to thrust the knife towards the sergeant’s abdomen, and the officers fire multiple shots at him.” Warner then fell again to the ground and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating the officer’s response to Warner. COPA says the “investigation into the officer’s actions, including use of deadly force, is in its early stages and will determine if the actions of the officers are in accordance with Department policy and training.”

How could you justify a shooting like this? All the man was trying to do was show the officers his knife. I'm sure he meant no harm.

So not judging anything here. And I probably watch way to many Steven Segal and Chuck Norris movies.

Aren't officers trained to at least defend themselves when they do not have access to a firearm?

I guess what I am asking is would all the cops get killed as easy as this one were stabbed if they had their guns taken away?

And truthfully, and I am a slow runner, but if someone started running at me with a knife I would do my best to hightail it out of there.

And it happened in early September, Shouldn't they have posted the results of the findings by now.

Knife defense is pretty involved and very risky. They tell you that even if you do everything correctly, you'll probably still suffer some serious knife wounds. Add to it larger male who was clearly not very affected by a taser vs. female who was presumably smaller, and there's very little in the way of knife defense training that will get you out of there unharmed. A gun is exactly what is needed against a knife, there's too much risk to the officer trying defending it otherwise. Heard a saying which I'll paraphrase since I don't remember it verbatim: The loser of the knife fight dies at the scene, the winner dies in the ambulance.

Knife defense is pretty involved and very risky. They tell you that even if you do everything correctly, you'll probably still suffer some serious knife wounds. Add to it larger male who was clearly not very affected by a taser vs. female who was presumably smaller, and there's very little in the way of knife defense training that will get you out of there unharmed. A gun is exactly what is needed against a knife, there's too much risk to the officer trying defending it otherwise. Heard a saying which I'll paraphrase since I don't remember it verbatim: The loser of the knife fight dies at the scene, the winner dies in the ambulance.

Then that leads us to my other trick in the goodie bag......RUN!!!!! The two other cops were there and they would be justified in shooting that person as he charged the other officer...

I have never been tased. Never want to be. But that person was either very strong, the taser wasn't fully charged or they were hopped up on something.

To be able to get up like that after being hit is pretty remarkable.

Good training video fir law enforcement on how tasers are not always as affective as we think.

Then that leads us to my other trick in the goodie bag......RUN!!!!! The two other cops were there and they would be justified in shooting that person as he charged the other officer...

I have never been tased. Never want to be. But that person was either very strong, the taser wasn't fully charged or they were hopped up on something.

To be able to get up like that after being hit is pretty remarkable.

Good training video fir law enforcement on how tasers are not always as affective as we think.

Won't argue re run, distance is your number one defense in most situations and certainly vs knife. Not sure if that would apply to the police officer in this situation or that in general police officers should run from knife wielding suspects. I didn't watch the entire thing but from what little I saw, it looks like they approached the perpetrator and maintained distance, then tased from a safe distance. Then things went sideways when he got up, not sure the right thing would have been run given her position [<edit> turning around, in the dark, under pressure]. Perhaps shoot a little sooner.

Last edited:
Won't argue re run, distance is your number one defense in most situations and certainly vs knife. Not sure if that would apply to the police officer in this situation or that in general police officers should run from knife wielding suspects. I didn't watch the entire thing but from what little I saw, it looks like they approached the perpetrator and maintained distance, then tased from a safe distance. Then things went sideways when he got up, not sure the right thing would have been run given her position [<edit> turning around, in the dark, under pressure]. Perhaps shoot a little sooner.

yeah, not sure what the right call is there. I;m sure they didn't;t expect him to get up and have that much agility....

Too bad the officer was stabbed.

the gun pipeline from indiana is sluggish now because of covid. the knife was the best he could do. the police should see if some celebrity chef marketed the knife and sue them for being an accessory to attempted murder of a police officer.

You don't use less lethal when engaging deadly force. "Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
The man was obviously demented, under the influence of drugs or even a combination of the two. Because of concealment problems, the typical street knife is a folder with a blade length of 4" or less, although boot knives and belt-buckle knives also have their fans. Knife fighting is a purely offensive form of combat; defensive knife fighters are either occupying a grave or a hospital bed in the ICU. Packing a butcher knife is plain stupidity. Much better off with a Bowie or other dedicated fighting knife if an edged weapon is someone's choice.

there is some training in the academy but it’s mostly up to individual cops to train on their own time. Maybe 1 out of ten actually do.

While I agree things could have been handled a little better, that's from my kitchen table watching a video that already happened. The female cop was obviously absolutely frightened and wasn't thinking logically when the bad guy ran up to her. Afterwards, she even was saying, "I put my gun away. Why'd I put my gun away??" I feel for her. She pretty clearly thought she was going to die. The perp was pretty close to her when they started shooting, so good on the other cops for not hitting her.

I love this part, though: the bad guy runs up to her and yells, "Let me go!" Yeah, we'll let you go, buddy. Straight to hell.

Why didn't the female cop move away when the perp charged? Looking at the size of the perp, it seems that he wasn't very agile to begin with. Any basic self defense system would teach that you move back or laterally to try to at least avoid the attack....whether your next move is to counter or not.

Back
Top Bottom