Enbloc is BACK in the building...

I literally have that computer stowed in the basement. It's next to the trs-80 and the commodore 64. Not kidding.
I learned B.A.S.I.C on a Trash-80 using a Realistic tape drive for storage. When the Commie-64 came out we all sat around mocking it, saying "64k RAM? Who needs 64k of RAM? Don't people know how to write clean code?" Yup, dirt and I went to high school together, I was a year behind.

He would not be the first person to get fed up enough to take a computer out in the woods and dump a mag or 3 into it.

I had one that I let my kid put a 50 caliber round ball out of the muzzle loader through.
Sumnabitch aggravated me one too many times.
Wonder what the trash guys thought when they saw that on top of the pail with a big assed hole through it .

Glad Mr. Enbloc is well.

I have to admit that at 50, I dread new devices. Yeah yeah, I know it's all much easier than it used to be, but it's still a pain in the ass.
My employees were mocking me last week because I have a 4 or 5 year old iphone se. I bought it because it fit the same case and used the same charger as my iphone 4.
I hate spending the money for them. Damn things are so expensive. Then you have to buy the stupid accessories and they screw you with those. 80 bucks for a plastic and rubber case that you know was made in Taiwan for 5 bucks. But you know all 3 of my kids have the latest iphones and frickin headphones/ earbuds etc. Mom and Dad get all the hand-me-downs.
My two oldest kids both got Beats earbuds because they had to have them, but then they both petitioned for Bose noise cancelling head phones. Ahhh kids, gotta love em.

^ this. I am consistently mocked by my children becuase I held onto an iPhone 6 for 4+ years. I simply refuse to part with 800-1000 bucks for a new one. When the GPS finally died on the phone, I 'upgraded' to a refurb iPhone 7. $199 bucks, and good enough for the tool that it is. Mail, phone, GPS, occasional NES

Last edited:
@enbloc

Since you still have a landline you should easily be able to get a fiber optic or even a DSL connection. Our phone company wanted to bundle it with a TV package but we had the option to just get the better internet connection and it didn't cost much to do it.

I learned B.A.S.I.C on a Trash-80 using a Realistic tape drive for storage. When the Commie-64 came out we all sat around mocking it, saying "64k RAM? Who needs 64k of RAM? Don't people know how to write clean code?" Yup, dirt and I went to high school together, I was a year behind.
Well the VIC-20 had 8k ram and a Tape Drive, my first computer, my friend’s father was a math professor who had built a Heathkit computer, that was the first one I had ever used, no screen just a keyboard and green-bar printer ... I was an early adopter, by the time my High School had a course in Basic on CPM machines my freshmen year of HS, I had already taken IBM 360/370 Machine coding and Moto 6502 at the local Community College over the past few summers for fun... very nerdy and it cut into my D&D time.

Last edited:
I have an old Sinclair ZX80 with chiclet keyboard NIB around here somewhere...

I bought it at a house sale in Nova Scotia. Guy died and they were clearing the place out.

Asked how much and they said $5... Canadian. And they threw in the old Commodore 64 if I bought the Sinclair.

:)

No Vic-20, or TI-99? Heath Kit?

We brought a number of retired laptops and hard disks to the range a few years back. We made a company outing from shooting old stuff to make sure it was clearly destroyed and there was no possibility of someone grabbing client confidential info.

The team LOVED the exercise!!!

:)

Seriously, leaving is not allowed. I tried a while back, just stopped logging in, and it didn't go well.

The first problem was that if I was sitting around with nothing to do, I'd instinctively pick up my phone, and then be like "oh wait... this is useless, what am I supposed to do with this now? Place a phone call to a friend, without any warning in advance that a call was incoming, like a savage or something?"

The next problem are the goons. They send out a bunch of goons to your house to "encourage" you to change your mind. They can do that... it is in the TOS that no one ever read, along with the death oath... you agree to be pecked to death by 1000 Maura Healy bobblehead dolls for eternity.

The worst problem of all was that even my wife ganged up on me. I didn't tell her about my NES departure, but she figured out something was wrong. She kept saying things like "Something's wrong with you! Why aren't you looking at your phone laughing your head off? You're just sitting there, without even a phone in your hand! It's creeping me out! Oh no... you didn't... are you avoiding the forum???? What happened? No!! You get back on that right now!" So, here I am.

^ this. I am consistently mocked by my children becuase I held onto an iPhone 6 for 4+ years. I simply refuse to part with 800-1000 bucks for a new one. When the GPS finally died on the phone, I 'upgraded' to a refurb iPhone 7. $199 bucks, and good enough for the tool that it is. Mail, phone, GPS, occasional NES

I know someone whos still using an iphone 4 [rofl]

DEC PDP-8 with 4k of core at my HS. With the BASIC interpreter loaded there was about 720 bytes left for code. I learned to minimize line numbers. The interface was a teletype with a paper tape reader/punch.

DEC PDP-8 with 4k of core at my HS. With the BASIC interpreter loaded there was about 720 bytes left for code. I learned to minimize line numbers. The interface was a teletype with a paper tape reader/punch.
Can't remember the machine, but in 8th grade I was advanced in math so somebody decided I should play with computers. That meant the elementary school "computer room" linked to the server at the HS. I remember the teletype style paper punch tape reader style, no idea about the capacities of the machine itself. 1977 was a LONG time ago.

I want my... I want my Web TV

It's hotlinked from DuckDuckGo, so I'll at least give him credit about learning how to fly beneath the radar.

LOL. Yeah. Been there!

But back in 88 or 89, I was working at a company and the ops mgr had a dial-in Prodigy (I think - owned by IBM at the time?) account. We'd log in and check stuff out. He never went anywhere on vacation, but he was on that damned SAABRE system at least a half hour a day looking at flights and such.

In fact, being on that service was the reason for the first mouse purchased for anyone at that company. Serial mouse. $110. No joke. $110 for a frickin wired mouse. LOL

In fact, being on that service was the reason for the first mouse purchased for anyone at that company. Serial mouse. $110. No joke. $110 for a frickin wired mouse. LOL

Not only that but you had to clean your balls every month or so or they'd get all gunked up.

Not only that but you had to clean your balls every month or so or they'd get all gunked up.

Remember the original Mac mouse? It was actually shaped like a brick so its corners made red marks on your palm after a while. And it took maybe 10 pounds of force to press the button (must have modeled it after MA gun laws). You don't REALLY want to click that icon.... Go consider it for a while before actually going through the effort.

Just steal your niece's computer. Done. :)

Seriously though, glad you're not going anywhere. I would absolutely donate something to a smartphone fund for you! That's what I do most of my surfing from. Usually at like 2am when I can't sleep. Or today, when it's kinda slow at work. ;)

Sounds like me lol. I'm still using an iPhone 6 that I got in 2014 or 2015? I had apple replace the battery once and I could use another new battery at the moment. Still runs great. I just refuse to pay $800+ for a phone.

Back
Top Bottom