• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EMS Jobs Update, Post 32

I have just passed the state exam for my EMT-B, and am actively looking for work in EMS. I was wondering if anyone might know of a company/hospital/other that might be hiring in southeastern mass (Im in wareham, but anything in reasonable travel distance from there)

Last edited:
Eascare, Alert, Cape Cod ambulance, and AMR are all nearby to you and almost all are probably hiring. Best of luck in your new profession.. it has served me well for 20 years!

Hey good job. Yea just try some local companies. Try to find a company that runs calls and not just transports if your looking for some action.

Not sure where you are located but Patriot Ambulance, Marlborough might have some openings.

Patriot only hires medics for the Marlborough/Hudson trucks. They do however have the 911 contract for Lawrence. Unfortunately that is far too long of a drive for you. You can get great experience working in that system.

Find someone local, learn to be a good EMT by being attentive to your patients. The BEST way I can advise you to do that is go private first... Get used to dealing with the elderly and their unique medical issues and how to get a good history and exam done, etc. My first two years as an EMT were with private EMS services and I PERSONALLY think it gave me a great base. It also builds up your confidence in your own abilities and lets you learn the real job before the heat is on every day... I see alot of young new EMTs kinda getting left in the dust at 911 type services and calls because honestly, when the fecal matter is blowing in the wind its not the time to be learning how to get information from bystanders or such... Its JUST MY OPINION, and IM SURE there are alot of good NEW EMTS out there doing the job... but Id rather hear that from their experienced partners... haha LOL

One more thing.. LEARN TO TALK TO PATIENTS AND ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THEM... you are taught all the questions to ask, but they dont read the book so textbook questions dont always work well.... learn to create dialog with your patients and their family and bystanders..... sometimes it will be the difference in you getting it right.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that looking for a private service would be best anyway with no background in this, EMT school got me through the test, but I dont know how far into knowing the job it will put me. Looks like from a little searching and the replies here that there are no shortage of places to try and get a job though. So I'll be making calls/pounding th pavement on monday and see where it gets me.

Find someone local, learn to be a good EMT by being attentive to your patients. The BEST way I can advise you to do that is go private first... Get used to dealing with the elderly and their unique medical issues and how to get a good history and exam done, etc. My first two years as an EMT were with private EMS services and I PERSONALLY think it gave me a great base. It also builds up your confidence in your own abilities and lets you learn the real job before the heat is on every day... I see alot of young new EMTs kinda getting left in the dust at 911 type services and calls because honestly, when the fecal matter is blowing in the wind its not the time to be learning how to get information from bystanders or such... Its JUST MY OPINION, and IM SURE there are alot of good NEW EMTS out there doing the job... but Id rather hear that from their experienced partners... haha LOL

One more thing.. LEARN TO TALK TO PATIENTS AND ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THEM... you are taught all the questions to ask, but they dont read the book so textbook questions dont always work well.... learn to create dialog with your patients and their family and bystanders..... sometimes it will be the difference in you getting it right.

This is great advice. Don't get caught up in "seeing the action" right away. You still have a ton to learn. Good luck.

I've been in sales all of my life and I'm sick to death of it. I have been looking for a career change and have considered EMS. If the following question is too intrusive or personal and nobody cares to answer I understand.

How's the money in this field?

I cant speak really knowlegably on the topic of pay in private sector, but as I recall, Basic EMTs can expect to earn around 12-16 dollars an hour based on years of experience. The big plus is that alot of times there will be overtime available, as well as shift work that tends to be more than 8 hours long. Sometimes you can get a shift that gets your 40 hour week done in three work shifts. Once you learn basics, if you like it and find out your good enough at it, becoming a Paramedic is the way to really make the money.. Medics earn anywhere from 16 to up to 24 dollars an hour ( and more I bet) based again on years of experience. A go getter who can work longer hours in a week... say 60 hours a week in 24 hour shifts, can earn a damn good living when you compare it to some other jobs. Its not going to make you rich, but as long as you enjoy going to work... its a career you will never regret. The side effects... you will see the worst things in humanity you can see, and your going to have to take care of those people. People will die right in front of you, and thats baggage your going to have to live with for the rest of your life. Contrary to popular belief, you wont sleep much at work. You will blow out your back at far to young an age, and most likely end up hurt and out of work once every 5-10 years with something caused by lifting, lowering, or moving people much heavier than you. I wanted to be a pilot when I was growing up, but here I am today. There are quite a few guys and maybe some gals on here who are in the field. Ask away, and seek out those who have the experience to offer you solid advice.

I cant speak really knowlegably on the topic of pay in private sector, but as I recall, Basic EMTs can expect to earn around 12-16 dollars an hour based on years of experience. The big plus is that alot of times there will be overtime available, as well as shift work that tends to be more than 8 hours long. Sometimes you can get a shift that gets your 40 hour week done in three work shifts. Once you learn basics, if you like it and find out your good enough at it, becoming a Paramedic is the way to really make the money.. Medics earn anywhere from 16 to up to 24 dollars an hour ( and more I bet) based again on years of experience. A go getter who can work longer hours in a week... say 60 hours a week in 24 hour shifts, can earn a damn good living when you compare it to some other jobs. Its not going to make you rich, but as long as you enjoy going to work... its a career you will never regret. The side effects... you will see the worst things in humanity you can see, and your going to have to take care of those people. People will die right in front of you, and thats baggage your going to have to live with for the rest of your life. Contrary to popular belief, you wont sleep much at work. You will blow out your back at far to young an age, and most likely end up hurt and out of work once every 5-10 years with something caused by lifting, lowering, or moving people much heavier than you. I wanted to be a pilot when I was growing up, but here I am today. There are quite a few guys and maybe some gals on here who are in the field. Ask away, and seek out those who have the experience to offer you solid advice.

Interesting....thanks for the info

dependss on where you work, some places start a basic at $10 to $12, while others start at around $14 to maybe $15, it all depends on level of experience and what that company does....Ive only worked at one company in the Lawrence area so i dont really know what everyone else is paying a new basic....

If you want the big bucks, get your medic, but even still the pay is bad.............its a problem not alot of people know about, how little we get paid for the amount of work we do.....but then again some companies have a good EMS (Earn Money while Sleeping) system hahaha

I've been in sales all of my life and I'm sick to death of it. I have been looking for a career change and have considered EMS. If the following question is too intrusive or personal and nobody cares to answer I understand.

Become a nurse if you want to make money in the medical field. Im married to one and have close to 20+ friends that are nurses both male and female. They all make a good living and there is no shortage of work.

Unless you want to be a firefighter and get your paramedic cert. go into nursing. Ems really doesn't pay unless you want to work 70 hr's a week. That being said, you can't go wrong with working a couple years and getting experience with patient interaction and becoming comfortable in a hospital setting. These are the important aspect's that you cant learn in school and you can get even in with a transport company. The best advice I can give you is (as mentioned by a few others), Listen to the patient. They know more about whats going on with their own bodies than the doctors, they just don't have the 200k a year vocabulary. And be respectful. It becomes routine for you, but it's anything but for them. Good luck.

Honestly Id like to get into firefighting, but at the moment I have had zero success with getting into EMS. I have the cert, but out of 20 or so places Ive applied I got one call back, and an interview from there. That was a month and a week ago, they are now saying maybe april they will have a spot. Outside of that, I cant get anyone to talk to me, much less get a job. I wouldnt mind going for the medic, but I dont have the cash for it, and was banking on getting a job as a basic to pay for it.

Firestorm, your on the right track. Patience now is your virtue. I was a call firefighter for 5 YEARS before I lucked out and got a job on the FD. Times arent great right now , people are keeping jobs they normally would leave, and companies (private) are keeping their overhead low by working the employees they do have. Did you try Cape Cod ambulance? Stick with it, take the first job that comes along. You will get there.

The other option if you are young and healthy enough is to consider Military service.... You could get a great start in BOTH fields in any one of the 5 branches of service.

Become a nurse if you want to make money in the medical field. Im married to one and have close to 20+ friends that are nurses both male and female. They all make a good living and there is no shortage of work.

^^

This

I'm looking into LPN programs right now. I just picked up the study guide for the entrance exam at the library. Some good input here....Thanks

I did try cape cod ambulance, they told me basically not even to bother applying. They had one spot and a whole drawer full of applications for it. As far as the military between a couple injuries over the last few years and being out of work this long im now in a position where I need to lose a bunch of weight to do that, or firefighting. Im working on it now, but its not something I can go sign up for tomorrow.

Keep your eyes on the prize then... You are doing EVERYTHING right it sounds like to me. Work on the weight, keep after jobs and companies. If your willing to travel look at some of the metro boston places, Cataldo, AMR, Eascare, Fallon, Patriot...??? I dont know alot of the boston companies anymore but they might have more open positions... just keep up what your doing and try try try. Dont quit.

Yeah, the one that called me back and I interviewed with is just north of boston. Although I hadnt heard of cataldo or patriot. AMR isnt hiring in this state right now, but I have an app on file with them. eascare and fallon same deal. Fallon says they are hiring, im at the "HR schedules interview" stage of their process, and have been for almost 2 months. I appreciate all the info you guys have provided, hopefully something shakes loose this spring.

Last edited:
Well, as an update I still haven't found anything. Bumping thread hoping that there is someone hiring emt's I can shoot for.

Well, as an update I still haven't found anything. Bumping thread hoping that there is someone hiring emt's I can shoot for.

Like others said, if it is something that you really want to do, dont give up on it. Eventually you will get on somewhere. My life long dream was to become a Police Officer, and 2 years ago thats what I did. EMT's and firefighter's are something we will always need, just like LEO's. The first responders help us out everyday.

Good Luck,

Back
Top Bottom