• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Employment restriction, WTF?

tuna

NES Member
Just renewed my LTC in Westfield. I watched the clerk enter "All Lawful Purposes" on the computer, and change my employment to "Retired Air Force". Today when the LTC came in, it shows "Employment" under the restriction field. I called the office and the clerk wasn't in, but I gave my info to be called back.
What does this mean? Since it is hunting season, am I not allowed to carry a single shot shotgun during deer season? Am I not allowed to CCW? Or am I allowed to carry only when performing duties of a retired NCO (drinking, smoking cigars, calling young kids p@@@ies, etc?

Just renewed my LTC in Westfield. I watched the clerk enter "All Lawful Purposes" on the computer, and change my employment to "Retired Air Force". Today when the LTC came in, it shows "Employment" under the restriction field. I called the office and the clerk wasn't in, but I gave my info to be called back.
What does this mean? Since it is hunting season, am I not allowed to carry a single shot shotgun during deer season? Am I not allowed to CCW? Or am I allowed to carry only when performing duties of a retired NCO (drinking, smoking cigars, calling young kids p@@@ies, etc?

First, for practicalities, restrictions apply to firearms (i.e. handguns, per MGLs). Long guns are another matter. If you're lawfully engaged in hunting, or shooting at a range, you're GTG.

Guess you gotta wait till the LO get back to you for the rest.

Thankfully if it was a mistake they should be able to issue you a new one unrestricted quite quickly.

Let us know how you make out.

That's a good one. "Restrictions: Employment", "Employer: Retired." They found a way to restrict you without restricting you. I wouldn't blame you if you just decided to move away. I hear NH is nice.

Since you're the boss, write a letter stating you are working 24x7 and are required to be armed at all times.

That's a good one. "Restrictions: Employment", "Employer: Retired." They found a way to restrict you without restricting you. I wouldn't blame you if you just decided to move away. I hear NH is nice.

Don't give Red Police Chiefs any more ideas. Brookline would seriously do that in an attempt to nullify lawsuits.

I think it is truly just a mistake, not getting myself too wrapped up in tinfoil, mayo and lava soap (just enough to be fun, but nothing out of the ordinary), seeing how I saw her enter the info. Plus, I thought an employment restriction was always a special request.
I find it kind of funny. Hopefully it'll all get straightened out soon. Glad I'm not in a red town.

Don't give Red Police Chiefs any more ideas. Brookline would seriously do that in an attempt to nullify lawsuits.

Funny you mention Brookline.

Someone I know was granted an upgraded LTC for employment reasons by the BPD (he was working for an armored car company), but
there were strings attached. He could only carry when he was actually on duty, and only for as long as he worked there.

When he quit for another job, they downgraded his LTC back to 'target and sporting'.

Funny you mention Brookline.

Someone I know was granted an upgraded LTC for employment reasons by the BPD (he was working for an armored car company), but
there were strings attached. He could only carry when he was actually on duty, and only for as long as he worked there.

When he quit for another job, they downgraded his LTC back to 'target and sporting'.

From what I've heard, that's actually pretty standard for Employment restrictions

From what I've heard, that's actually pretty standard for Employment restrictions

I suspected as much. In Brooklines case, its the only way a mere citizen can get an LTC for any form of carry even if it is limited.

Instead of just granting a person an unrestricted LTC, they'll dumb it down as much as they can, and even then they would probably
go on a fishing expedition to deny it.

Last edited:

I seem to remember seeing it in writing somewhere but can't find it now. If issued for employment and said employment terminates, they either revoke (shouldn't do this) or change the restriction for the LTC.

I seem to remember seeing it in writing somewhere but can't find it now. If issued for employment and said employment terminates, they either revoke (shouldn't do this) or change the restriction for the LTC.

Now that you mention it, BPD might have revoked his license and not dumbed it down as I posted earlier.

This happened about 20 years ago so I could easily be misrembering it, although the more I sit here and think about it, I'm almost certain
now that it was revoked.

One thing I do clearly recall, is that later on he came to me asking about applying (not renewing), for an LTC in another town he had moved to,
and if I would write a reference letter for him.

I knew he had at least two firearms at home at the time, and when I asked him about it (and not having an LTC), that's when he told me
about his experience with Brookline.

UPDATE: Talked to licensing clerk today, who said this has happened several times lately. She's submitting it again for ALP, and I should have it in 2 weeks. Till then, I guess concealed is concealed, and rely on sound judgement of law enforcement and my peers in The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

UPDATE: Talked to licensing clerk today, who said this has happened several times lately. She's submitting it again for ALP, and I should have it in 2 weeks. Till then, I guess concealed is concealed, and rely on sound judgement of law enforcement and my peers in The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Maybe if you wrote retired army or marines you would not have an issue :) (sarcasm).

Haha. I started Army and was stationed at Devens in WWII barracks, 40 to a room and gang showers. Meanwhile, the Air Force guys got extra pay for substandard housing (old officers quarters), had the hottest chicks (married one eventually) and didn't go for runs at 0500. Next enlistment I crossed into the blue.

Back
Top Bottom