employment drug testing: wt-----

Ahhh yes because drug addicts never lie right ? Lol come on
This.

Absolutely undeniably this

I can't tell you how many guys I've had delay taking a drug screen that were candidates for hire that swore they were clean.....but their car was dead or their mom was sick and needed a ride.....yadayada.....aaaaand they popped hot.....or got caught cheating at the clinic.

Drug addict and out right bold face f***ing lier go hand in hand. It comes with the territory.

I now give a candidate 48 hours.....and I pull the application. I'm stopped wasting my time with that shit a long time ago.

Last edited:
This.

Absolutely undeniably this

I can't tell you how many guys I've had delay taking a drug screen that were candidates for hire that swore they were clean.....but their car was dead or their mom was sick and needed a ride.....yadayada.....aaaaamd they popped hot.....or got caught cheating at the clinic.

Drug addict and out right bold face f***ing lier go hand in hand. It comes with the territory.

I now give a candidate 48 hours.....and I pull the packet

This is a good idea, since most drugs are out of your system in 3 days unless you pull a hair sample.

Even then there's a ton of drugs that don't even show up on a drug test. Nobody ever talks about those.

They typically are pretty easy to spot too. Same with alcoholics. At least if you're aware of what to look for.

Again, in my field, I've not had to worry about this for any except for my first CONTRACT job (where I got into the field) back almost twenty years ago now. If you're in a field where drug use is that common, then you'll have to put up with it. Not an issue for me. I'm not working for DoD or .gov agencies.

What does a drug addict look like ? Lol of course there are the crack beads that are easy to pick out but most hide it well, again lier’s and con artists, they will do anything to keep the income flowing so they can buy drugs.
It’s funny that you think because of the field
You work in, that you are safe from being around or working with drug addicts....

What does a drug addict look like ? Lol of course there are the crack beads that are easy to pick out but most hide it well, again lier’s and con artists, they will do anything to keep the income flowing so they can buy drugs.
You work in, that you are safe from being around or working with drug addicts....
First clue for a heroin addict is the guy that all of a sudden starts dozing off at work.....then gets startled awake....then works fine for 45 minutes or so .....then starts dozing off again. By dozing off I mean blank stare......eyelids half closed....like half awake half asleep.

Had a guy like that years ago at a warehouse I managed. I went to hr about it.....his excuses were stress at home with his wife and not sleeping. We even offered him treatment if he did have a problem. He refused and said he was fine.

About a week later the lying sack of shit ran me over with a forklift that he passed out on going down an aisle. He popped hot when we mandated a drug test at that point due to the personal injury he caused.....to me. I have a good chunk of my calf muscle missing now. Can't run anymore....walking any distance is painful. So you'll excuse me if I get a little testy with an employers right to drug screen.

Last edited:
For some jobs I can understand it even though I don't like it. For other jobs (paper pusher in a cube as an example), there really is no justification. Just go by job performance and deal with problem employees rather than distrusting everyone.

Sometimes those cubicle dwellers deal with classified or private client information, or they handle large sums of the firm’s or clients money. My first job out of college was for a major money center bank in their global trading operations. I had to take a polygraph and piss in a cup as well as credit/background check. They don’t want someone with an expensive drug habit working for them, if that person gets compromised they might do harmful things. They don’t want someone who’s dealing w drug dealers, might become indebted to them, etc. having access to company funds or having an incentive to sell private info, etc. Interestingly, a lot of the polygraph was trying to weed out gambling addicts too.

Banks are a slightly different animal than most professional service organizations. They’re stricter in their background screenings, and more likely to require a credit check and drug test.

First clue for a heroin addict is the guy that all of a sudden starts dozing off at work.....then gets startled awake....then works fine for 45 minutes or so .....then starts dozing off again. By dozing off I mean blank stare......eyelids half closed....like half awake half asleep.

Had a guy like that years ago at a warehouse I managed. I went to hr about it.....his excuses were stress at home with his wife and not sleeping. We even offered him treatment if he did have a problem. He refused and said he was fine.

About a week later he ran me over with a forklift that he passed out on going down an aisle. He popped hot when we mandated a drug test at that point due to the personal injury he caused.....to me. I have a good chunk of my calf muscle missing now. So you'll excuse me if I get a little testy with am employers right to drug screen.
You know what I mean, drug addiction comes in all forms, drug addict’s all look different, some hide it better then others, depending on what drugs they are doing, I agree with you tho, they have the right to drug test you to work at a company, and you have the right not to take it, and they have the right to not hire you.

In my case, it's more about trust. If you trust me to not F up the system, causing a customer outage and potentially costing the company millions. Then you can trust me when I tell you that I don't do illegal substances. Or anything that would impair my judgement [while working].

I will not trust someone I do not know with my livelihood. I’m a small business owner and there’s way too much at risk to just trust someone unless I know them or they’re referred by someone I trust who will vouch for them. My last few hires have been people I knew personally or were referred by people I trusted.

I can’t imagine hiring an unknown again unless I can fully vet them with a credit check, background check and drug test. Fortunately, my office situation is stable and probably won’t need to hire someone anytime soon, if all goes well I’ll ride this crew into retirement.

I hired one that on paper looked great, excellent interview, presented well, an employers dream. A couple of months after I hired her I learned about her bankruptcy, the foreclosures, the impending divorce. She was a train wreck. Didn’t last long and she screwed me on unemployment on her way out. I have no doubt that if it was more recent I’d be facing a #metoo moment, completely unjustified but she would have gotten away with it. At the time it was me and two female service reps, unavoidable to be alone in the office w them. My bad for not running a credit check, I wouldn’t have hired her if I did. Lesson learned.

So no, I’m not just trusting someone based on what I see on paper or in a couple of interviews.

Last edited:
I will not trust someone I do not know with my livelihood. I’m a small business owner and there’s way too much at risk to just trust someone unless I know them or they’re referred by someone I trust who will vouch for them. My last few hires have been people I knew personally or were referred by people I trusted.

I can’t imagine hiring an unknown again unless I can fully vet them with a credit check, background check and drug test. Fortunately, my office situation is stable and probably won’t need to hire someone anytime soon, if all goes well I’ll ride this crew into retirement.

I hired one that on paper looked great, excellent interview, presented well, an employers dream. A couple of months after I hired her I learned about her bankruptcy, the foreclosures, the impending divorce. She was a train wreck. Didn’t last long and she screwed me on unemployment on her way out. I have no doubt that if it was more recent I’d be facing a #metoo moment, completely unjustified but she would have gotten away with it. At the time it was me and two female service reps, unavoidable to be alone in the office w them.

So no, I’m not just trusting someone based on what I see on paper or in a couple of interviews.
The reason you don't trust folks on the drug screen thing......is because addicts are f***ing lying pieces of shit. That's enough for me....no need to make it complicated.

It's defiantly a individual co. policy. Forget HomeDepot....its a drone, do as everyone else does, worker bee establishment.
Good luck!

PS. entice a new age Atty. to take the case on a 50/50 basis. I would. Good luck!

you are such an expert

wait to they start testing your lifestyle, things you own, living conditions, social life etc. social credit system is coming and it starts with minor infringements on your privacy.

You still have no idea what you are talking about, ad when told you are wrong, can't even face facts and admit it. But you know what? Go ahead and keep lying to yourself, but don't be mad when you are called out for it.

So, repeat after me: This is not a 4A issue. This is not a 4A issue.

Got it? (probably not, but one can hope)

Back before I retired they threatened us with random drug testing (very large engineering company). The had a policy in place to test all new hires, but now they were saying they were going to random test existing employees.

Some of us including myself had worked there over 40 years. I had a lot at stake so after the announcement I talked to my attorney. I live in MA but worked in CT. He told me that random drug testing was illegal in CT unless the job is considered high risk and on a list of high risk occupations. As office workers/cubicle dwellers we were NOT on the list.

Went in the next day and started spreading the word around the coffee pot. Word spread and next thing you know the new random drug testing policy was removed from the local intranet policies/procedures. Worked there another 10 years before retirement and they never random tested ANYBODY.

Now with legal weed in some states this whole subject is going to get very interesting.

He was incorrect about one aspect.

If your company was a federal supplier or contactor, drug testing, random or otherwise, is part of the rules of being a federal supplier.

The industry, which I and Golddiggie are both in, demands a high level of concentration and reliability. And the personalities are high performance and high stress. Sure there is a fair amount of MJ use outside of the office, but hard core drug addiction and even alcoholism is going to get noticed and it will affect performance. Add to this an environment of no unions to protect the under performer, and a total lack of tolerance for anyone not pulling their weights, and you end up with a very low occurrence of drug use. Also add that we generally have a high level of access to sensitive information and systems, and no one is willing to tolerate an addict. So they get weeded out at a very low level.

The industry, which I and Golddiggie are both in, demands a high level of concentration and reliability. And the personalities are high performance and high stress. Sure there is a fair amount of MJ use outside of the office, but hard core drug addiction and even alcoholism is going to get noticed and it will affect performance. Add to this an environment of no unions to protect the under performer, and a total lack of tolerance for anyone not pulling their weights, and you end up with a very low occurrence of drug use. Also add that we generally have a high level of access to sensitive information and systems, and no one is willing to tolerate an addict. So they get weeded out at a very low level.

Ok sure, if thinking that makes you feel better then what ever, you are only lying to your self

Do you work for some sort of medical practice? If not, HIPAA doesn't apply to your company. Actually, even if it is and and HIPAA does apply, it doesn't apply to your employees and you.
The parent company owns pharmacies, but not at my location, and it doesn't even matter.

HIPAA applies to any company that maintains any kind of healthcare records (like physical job requirements, injury and accident reports, worker's comp files, etc.), and it applies to any employee who learns someone's personally identifiable healthcare information in the course of their job.

As I explain to the 15 year old baggers and cart retrievers: "You can leave work and say, 'A customer had a heart attack at the store today.' What you cannot do is leave work and say, 'Fred Smith had a heart attack at the store today.'"

Ok sure, if thinking that makes you feel better then what ever, you are only lying to your self
25 years in and I've see what happens to those with drug or alcohol problems, they are quickly fired, burn out on their own, or end up doing low level desktop support (and that poorly) or fixing printer jams, not really in the industry at that point. And since I've hired and fired, ya I do think I'm qualified to say this.

42! said:
The industry, which I and Golddiggie are both in, demands a high level of concentration and reliability. And the personalities are high performance and high stress. Sure there is a fair amount of MJ use outside of the office, but hard core drug addiction and even alcoholism is going to get noticed and it will affect performance. Add to this an environment of no unions to protect the under performer, and a total lack of tolerance for anyone not pulling their weights, and you end up with a very low occurrence of drug use.
With the exception of a few overly-corporate IT giants and some firms that are a bit too cozy with the feds, almost no IT firm does pre-employment or random drug screening

I half agree with both positions -- there's quite a bit of drug use (not necessarily addiction) in the industry, including uppers and concentration-enhancing drugs (e.g. Adderal is popular with programmers).

25 years in and I've see what happens to those with drug or alcohol problems, they are quickly fired, burn out on their own, or end up doing low level desktop support (and that poorly) or fixing printer jams, not really in the industry at that point.
Somewhere close to half the programmers in Mass are on THC right this moment, mostly the ones who don't have a "problem", just are enjoying their long weekend. Doesn't mean they'll be anything other than sober when they bring up the work VPN on Monday.

With the exception of a few overly-corporate IT giants and some firms that are a bit too cozy with the feds, almost no IT firm does pre-employment or random drug screening

I half agree with both positions -- there's quite a bit of drug use (not necessarily addiction) in the industry, including uppers and concentration-enhancing drugs (e.g. Adderal is popular with programmers).

Somewhere close to half the programmers in Mass are on THC right this moment, mostly the ones who don't have a "problem", just are enjoying their long weekend. Doesn't mean they'll be anything other than sober when they bring up the work VPN on Monday.

Half? That's conservative. Half of them will admit it.

Got out of the Army, where drug tests were several times a year, or month depending on how much of an ass the Commander and 1SG felt like being.

Military drug tests are supervised. Yes, some poor E4 has to watch you piss in the cup. It’s just how it goes.

My first job out of the military required a drug test. I went to the clinic and was walked to the bathroom by the nurse. I held the door, as a gentleman, and said “after you”.
She asked what I said, kind of mad. (I thought this weird).
I MEANT to say “aren’t you required to observe?” but it came out “don’t you want to watch?”
Now she was REALLY mad. And I was clueless. Luckily a supervisor came by and asked if I was military explained to her that I wasn’t being a pervert.

There was a guy appointed to the drug committee who smoked regularly. One day HR decided it was the day for a drug test. He knew he'd pee dirty. He went to HR and said "You can't have a drug test today. The procedure clearly states that the committee decides when the tests are to take place. That didn't happen, so you can't do the test". They ended up calling a meeting and scheduling out the next year's tests. He never peed dirty.
Same way they always did. ;)
You’re a strange dude.
strange? much, much more than that

I mentioned the use of MJ (other THC products was implicit) outside of the office, and let's face it, programmers are a strange sort to begin with. [wink]
My personal choice is alcohol (in moderation), I'm enjoying a nice Balvenie right now. It's nothing special, just a nice end of the day relaxer.

I mentioned the use of MJ (other THC products was implicit) outside of the office, and let's face it, programmers are a strange sort to begin with. [wink]
My personal choice is alcohol (in moderation), I'm enjoying a nice Balvenie right now. It's nothing special, just a nice end of the day relaxer.

I had a bottle of balvenie peated cask 17 year. Wish I bought a case. The doublewood is an awesome value too.

HIPAA applies to entities that bill Medicare and Medicaid. Your understanding is incorrect, or you had bad advice.

When I was working, I couldn't talk about specific patients unless I was testifying in court. Even when we did rounds, we had PHI redacted when we read the cases. We couldn't even give the police copies of our reports in criminal cases.

HIPAA is primarily concerned with the electronic transfer of records.

Unless you're doing that, then HIPAA does not apply. Which, as I remind people, does not mean that there are other state or federal laws that apply to patient confidentiality. Again, they apply to medical professionals and staff, not to grocery baggers.

The parent company owns pharmacies, but not at my location, and it doesn't even matter.

HIPAA applies to any company that maintains any kind of healthcare records (like physical job requirements, injury and accident reports, worker's comp files, etc.), and it applies to any employee who learns someone's personally identifiable healthcare information in the course of their job.

As I explain to the 15 year old baggers and cart retrievers: "You can leave work and say, 'A customer had a heart attack at the store today.' What you cannot do is leave work and say, 'Fred Smith had a heart attack at the store today.'"

Balvenie Double Cask has come down in price relative to McCallan 12 year lately. I like Balvenie better anyway, so this makes me even happier. The 21 year Portwood is superb, but over $200.00 a bottle, so I don't drink it often.

I had a bottle of balvenie peated cask 17 year. Wish I bought a case. The doublewood is an awesome value too.

Back
Top Bottom