employment drug testing: wt-----

Its not a 4th amendment violation because it is NOT the government asking you to do this, its a company so you have no bill of rights other than what they grant you there. They can tell you what you can and can't say and can read your company email and search your company computer and listen to your phone calls made on their phones and make you pee in a cup if they wish.
Glad you said it. Now I don’t have to.

OP, you have no 1st amendment rights on my property. You don’t have any 1st amendment rights on this board. The even have a sticky for it. Private property means the owner has the rights. Anything the owner let’s you do is a privilege.

Misunderstanding the constitution is as bad as being against it.

i am retired don't drink or smoke anything, thin, exercise everyday and don't look my age.
have 25 yr. plus hi tech manufacturing and parts experience. was working for this wonderful little company part time: 20 hrs a week, weekdays 2 miles from my house. the owner went through divorce and the cun---- destroyed his life as well as the company. getting bored and would like to find a similar part time position. all the big box companies that hire retired people want a drug test. that, to me, is a 4th amendment violation which is just as important as the 2nd and 1st. when asked to do so i respond; "will piss in a bottle if you slurp it down afterwards". if you know any places that are no b.s. let me know: not overly concerned about the salary.
It's not a 4th amendment violation. it's not a government agency invading your person/privacy without cause. you have no "right" to work for any particular employer. if you don't like it, look elsewhere.

Its not a 4th amendment violation because it is NOT the government asking you to do this, its a company so you have no bill of rights other than what they grant you there. They can tell you what you can and can't say and can read your company email and search your company computer and listen to your phone calls made on their phones and make you pee in a cup if they wish.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Honestly, just pee in the cup. You already know you'll pass the test.

It's one of those hurdles to weed out undesirable employees. Now if you had to take a piss test every month or something, then that's a different story.

Wait til he finds out his 2A rights while on the employers property or dime are non existent .

Read your employee manual, I bet it has a no weapons paragraph or two in there

But that is like reading the instructions on just about anything, or an end user license agreement. It's just not done [laugh]

I find it funny how some people posted about how piss testing "is common" with IT jobs now. Funny because in the past 19 years in IT I've only had a single piss test to get a job. That was the first CONTRACT job I had that started in late 1999. Since then, I've not had a single one.

In my current role, I'm responsible for about 1100 VMware hosts running about 15k VMs (on the team that takes care of this, but I'm one of two in the US for our shift). Even for my previous job (a contract) there was no piss testing done. So to say you have to go through that to get a good position and/or work for a good (or even decent) company is not true.

My company has a pee test for everyone and my first job had one. I don’t think it’s technically a 4a issue. It’s optional (as someone said getting hired is optional) and it’s not a criminal justice thing. You just don’t get an offer.

Too bad you couldn’t get some of Keith Richards piss. Scare the F out of them lol

I find it funny how some people posted about how piss testing "is common" with IT jobs now. Funny because in the past 19 years in IT I've only had a single piss test to get a job. That was the first CONTRACT job I had that started in late 1999. Since then, I've not had a single one.

In my current role, I'm responsible for about 1100 VMware hosts running about 15k VMs (on the team that takes care of this, but I'm one of two in the US for our shift). Even for my previous job (a contract) there was no piss testing done. So to say you have to go through that to get a good position and/or work for a good (or even decent) company is not true.

Every IT job I have taken in the last 20 years or so came with the warning that there was a mandatory drug test, none actually tested. As someone already suggested, it may be a way for companies to get people to self-screen out of the hiring process.

i am retired don't drink or smoke anything, thin, exercise everyday and don't look my age.
have 25 yr. plus hi tech manufacturing and parts experience. was working for this wonderful little company part time: 20 hrs a week, weekdays 2 miles from my house. the owner went through divorce and the cun---- destroyed his life as well as the company. getting bored and would like to find a similar part time position. all the big box companies that hire retired people want a drug test. that, to me, is a 4th amendment violation which is just as important as the 2nd and 1st. when asked to do so i respond; "will piss in a bottle if you slurp it down afterwards". if you know any places that are no b.s. let me know: not overly concerned about the salary.
guess by that answers i am getting i am in with a bunch of sheeple; do not need and opinion just advice on who does not drug test. retired and look for something to keep busy with not wipe ass job

guess by that answers i am getting i am in with a bunch of sheeple; do not need and opinion just advice on who does not drug test. retired and look for something to keep busy with not wipe ass job

Whut?

Sheeple?

Ooooo-kaaaay...

Not sure if any company that takes itself seriously will not require one, these days. Your options will be very limited. I work in hospitals and pharmacies. We get random drug tested, all the time.

Not only did I have to take a drug test to get hired, I’m subject to random drug tests and work for a company that performs the drug tests. They just tell us to go up front and piss.

Bill of rights applies to government; an employer can require/restrict certain things especially if you’re working with high risk stuff, also insurance may require it. I’d spend my energy standing tall on other stuff and just puss in the cup

BTW, I turned down moving forward on a couple of jobs simply because they wanted a piss test as part of next steps. Sorry, but if you don't trust me to NOT be on drugs, then I don't think this is going to work out. Any role where management doesn't trust the people in important positions to NOT be less than professional is not a company I want to work for. Granted, I knew of one person at my first IT job that DID use drugs (pot, as much as that counts/matters). Didn't effect his job performance. At least not for as long as I was at that company that is.

IMO, if a company has problems with employees (presently, or in the past) being impaired by drugs/alcohol [on the job] then that's also not a company I'd want to work at.

I'd bet most don't care about weed, though. Do you live in MA? I think there's a precedent now...
There is 0 president in mass. Employers still care about weed. I manage a fleet of tractor trailers and a large team of warehouse workers. All must pass drug screen and weed is a disqualifier. In fact the federal DOT has published many announcements that speak to marijuana. States may decriminalize it ....but it's not legal federally and testing for weed still continues. Cdl drivers are in a class of employment that is considered to be crucial for drug free sue to safety. Same class as air traffic controllers and pilots. These occupations require random tests.....and I get a few notices every year to send a certain driver down for a test and they have 24 hours to piss or their cdl is suspended. Additionally the warehouse workers I'm responsible for have to operate equipment that lifts 3000 pound pallets 30 feet into racking. I need these guys drug free.

All that said.....if I was hiring guys to run a register at a gas station I don't give a f*** if they smoke weed......just not on the job lol

Piss testing is not a 4a issue in my opinion. If I'm having a person doing a job that requires concentration......or they are going to kill someone......they are pissing before I hire em

Back before I retired they threatened us with random drug testing (very large engineering company). The had a policy in place to test all new hires, but now they were saying they were going to random test existing employees.

Some of us including myself had worked there over 40 years. I had a lot at stake so after the announcement I talked to my attorney. I live in MA but worked in CT. He told me that random drug testing was illegal in CT unless the job is considered high risk and on a list of high risk occupations. As office workers/cubicle dwellers we were NOT on the list.

Went in the next day and started spreading the word around the coffee pot. Word spread and next thing you know the new random drug testing policy was removed from the local intranet policies/procedures. Worked there another 10 years before retirement and they never random tested ANYBODY.

Now with legal weed in some states this whole subject is going to get very interesting.

LOL

Them asking you for a drug test has about as much to do with you being retired as it does with your 4A rights being violated. You want the job piss in the cup, otherwise move on and stop complaining.
I'll add there are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there that employers don't piss test to hire. If you want more than minimum wage......your probably pissing and I'm fine with that.

We tried helping out a guy I've known for awhile by having him do yardwork at our place and our daughter's house as well, odd jobs and the like. It worked out pretty well for a while - until pot became "not illegal". Then he started not showing up, didn't have gas for his equipment so borrowed ours then wanted payments up front - I guess he decided he would rather be stoned than provide for himself. Last straw was when my daughter came home to a half-cut lawn, guy was nowhere to be seen and her garage reeked of weed.

That said, all other things being equal I'll tend to hire the person who has a workplace drug policy over one who does not.

Back
Top Bottom