1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

employment drug testing: wt-----

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nordic alien, Jul 5, 2019.

1. teaser452

teaser452

Glad you said it. Now I don’t have to.

OP, you have no 1st amendment rights on my property. You don’t have any 1st amendment rights on this board. The even have a sticky for it. Private property means the owner has the rights. Anything the owner let’s you do is a privilege.

Misunderstanding the constitution is as bad as being against it.

2. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

It's not a 4th amendment violation. it's not a government agency invading your person/privacy without cause. you have no "right" to work for any particular employer. if you don't like it, look elsewhere.

whacko and teaser452 like this.
  3. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

LOL

Them asking you for a drug test has about as much to do with you being retired as it does with your 4A rights being violated. You want the job piss in the cup, otherwise move on and stop complaining.

buckfarack, ISOTOX, atmay and 2 others like this.
  4. teaser452

teaser452

5. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Winner winner chicken dinner. Honestly, just pee in the cup. You already know you'll pass the test.

It's one of those hurdles to weed out undesirable employees. Now if you had to take a piss test every month or something, then that's a different story.

5811 likes this.
  6. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Wait til he finds out his 2A rights while on the employers property or dime are non existent .

Read your employee manual, I bet it has a no weapons paragraph or two in there

7. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

But that is like reading the instructions on just about anything, or an end user license agreement. It's just not done [laugh]

8. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I find it funny how some people posted about how piss testing "is common" with IT jobs now. Funny because in the past 19 years in IT I've only had a single piss test to get a job. That was the first CONTRACT job I had that started in late 1999. Since then, I've not had a single one.

In my current role, I'm responsible for about 1100 VMware hosts running about 15k VMs (on the team that takes care of this, but I'm one of two in the US for our shift). Even for my previous job (a contract) there was no piss testing done. So to say you have to go through that to get a good position and/or work for a good (or even decent) company is not true.

Kevin_NH, devo86, M1911 and 1 other person like this.
  9. nordic alien

nordic alien

alien contactee; those who criticize are jealous that god does not talk to them

10. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

My company has a pee test for everyone and my first job had one. I don’t think it’s technically a 4a issue. It’s optional (as someone said getting hired is optional) and it’s not a criminal justice thing. You just don’t get an offer.

Too bad you couldn’t get some of Keith Richards piss. Scare the F out of them lol

11. CAR

CAR NES Member

Every IT job I have taken in the last 20 years or so came with the warning that there was a mandatory drug test, none actually tested. As someone already suggested, it may be a way for companies to get people to self-screen out of the hiring process.

AHM and Kevin_NH like this.
  12. nordic alien

nordic alien

guess by that answers i am getting i am in with a bunch of sheeple; do not need and opinion just advice on who does not drug test. retired and look for something to keep busy with not wipe ass job

13. Picton

Picton NES Member

Whut?

Sheeple?

Ooooo-kaaaay...

14. miniion

miniion

Not sure if any company that takes itself seriously will not require one, these days. Your options will be very limited. I work in hospitals and pharmacies. We get random drug tested, all the time.

15. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Not only did I have to take a drug test to get hired, I’m subject to random drug tests and work for a company that performs the drug tests. They just tell us to go up front and piss.

16. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I've never had a job that required me to do a drug test.

drgrant, milktree, new guy and 3 others like this.
  17. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

Bill of rights applies to government; an employer can require/restrict certain things especially if you’re working with high risk stuff, also insurance may require it. I’d spend my energy standing tall on other stuff and just puss in the cup

Shark_Cage likes this.
  18. whatluck

whatluck

Go into business for yourself?

drgrant likes this.
  19. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

Just use the H2O from the toilet. You won't get caught!

upload_2019-7-5_14-52-42.jpeg

20. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Hydrogen DiOxide?? That shit will kill you!
    [rofl2]

21. ipscdrl

ipscdrl

It could help if we knew where you are located/looking.....

22. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

BTW, I turned down moving forward on a couple of jobs simply because they wanted a piss test as part of next steps. Sorry, but if you don't trust me to NOT be on drugs, then I don't think this is going to work out. Any role where management doesn't trust the people in important positions to NOT be less than professional is not a company I want to work for. Granted, I knew of one person at my first IT job that DID use drugs (pot, as much as that counts/matters). Didn't effect his job performance. At least not for as long as I was at that company that is.

IMO, if a company has problems with employees (presently, or in the past) being impaired by drugs/alcohol [on the job] then that's also not a company I'd want to work at.

milktree likes this.
  23. wilson911

wilson911

This line from the OP tells me everything I need to know about him. Hes shopping for his next settlement.

Dihydrogen Oxide, actually.

AHM, buckfarack, AntiHippie and 3 others like this.
  24. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

That shit's even WORSE!!! ;)

wilson911 and AntiHippie like this.
  25. Picton

Picton NES Member

Nah, he’d just rant about that too. He’d probably pursue another settlement as well.

buckfarack and wilson911 like this.
  26. whacko

whacko

There is 0 president in mass. Employers still care about weed. I manage a fleet of tractor trailers and a large team of warehouse workers. All must pass drug screen and weed is a disqualifier. In fact the federal DOT has published many announcements that speak to marijuana. States may decriminalize it ....but it's not legal federally and testing for weed still continues. Cdl drivers are in a class of employment that is considered to be crucial for drug free sue to safety. Same class as air traffic controllers and pilots. These occupations require random tests.....and I get a few notices every year to send a certain driver down for a test and they have 24 hours to piss or their cdl is suspended. Additionally the warehouse workers I'm responsible for have to operate equipment that lifts 3000 pound pallets 30 feet into racking. I need these guys drug free.

All that said.....if I was hiring guys to run a register at a gas station I don't give a f*** if they smoke weed......just not on the job lol

Piss testing is not a 4a issue in my opinion. If I'm having a person doing a job that requires concentration......or they are going to kill someone......they are pissing before I hire em

AHM, 5811, Energizer and 4 others like this.
  27. Coda

Coda NES Member

Back before I retired they threatened us with random drug testing (very large engineering company). The had a policy in place to test all new hires, but now they were saying they were going to random test existing employees.

Some of us including myself had worked there over 40 years. I had a lot at stake so after the announcement I talked to my attorney. I live in MA but worked in CT. He told me that random drug testing was illegal in CT unless the job is considered high risk and on a list of high risk occupations. As office workers/cubicle dwellers we were NOT on the list.

Went in the next day and started spreading the word around the coffee pot. Word spread and next thing you know the new random drug testing policy was removed from the local intranet policies/procedures. Worked there another 10 years before retirement and they never random tested ANYBODY.

Now with legal weed in some states this whole subject is going to get very interesting.

28. whacko

whacko

I'll add there are plenty of minimum wage jobs out there that employers don't piss test to hire. If you want more than minimum wage......your probably pissing and I'm fine with that.

29. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

I hear Fish f in it

30. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

We tried helping out a guy I've known for awhile by having him do yardwork at our place and our daughter's house as well, odd jobs and the like. It worked out pretty well for a while - until pot became "not illegal". Then he started not showing up, didn't have gas for his equipment so borrowed ours then wanted payments up front - I guess he decided he would rather be stoned than provide for himself. Last straw was when my daughter came home to a half-cut lawn, guy was nowhere to be seen and her garage reeked of weed.

That said, all other things being equal I'll tend to hire the person who has a workplace drug policy over one who does not.

Bt74 likes this.