• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Employees caved in and will go shooting

I have had a round of annual performance appraisals. I have employees who tend to be liberal due purely to lack of information, propaganda in our media, and the environment they live in. Some have been recently victimized or had recent scares at work. One in particular was recently scared pretty good by a non-violent psychotic event a client had when she was closing up. The client had been abused at home and it was unclear whether this abuser was picking her up. The threat and fear was of the abuser. We have had more than one experience where an adult was being physically abused by a partner. In one other situation we had a staff member confronted by the abuser and told not to report it. It was not a threat, but a red flag. Another young lady had her house broken into while she was asleep. I've seen it all and that's why I carry at work. I imagine some think I am paranoid.

At their performance appraisals they all did very well and got nice raises. In addition, I offered them the opportunity to earn two additional vacation days. They were offered one day for each score of 70 they get on a B-2 target at 7 yards with 10 rounds from a Glock 17. They had no idea how difficult that might be and thought that maybe I made the task impossible, so I also offered the opportunity to beat a 70 with an AR-15 and a laser sight. They all knew that it would be a walk in the park from what they know about those infamous black killing machines and guess what? I have 3 women and 1 man scheduled for range time next Saturday!

Last edited:
I like it! Can't wait to hear what kind of commentary you get during the range time/who gets permanently converted.

Re: Scared gun haters caved in and will go shooting

Nice!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I've been at it for years, very satisfying, isn't it. I've never had a negative response, a few never perused it. Some have gone on to get their LTC. I encourage employees to carry at work. When times were good, the company used to pay for a fishing charter out of Newburyport every summer.
That ended in 2008 or 2009. Last summer we did a shooting day instead. Paid for ammo & range time up at Bob's. The LTC people brought some extra guns for the newbies to try. This year's been very busy, but the money is coming very slow. I won't push for this year. Hopefully next year.

Keep up the good work. Hearts & Minds, without crossing the line to harassment, just positive stuff. Not always easy to do.

I've taken a few rules from my Chicago friend Saul's book;

#3. “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.”
#8. “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.”
#10. "The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition."
#11. “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.”

That's an awesome way to get antis to the range. They'll bite the bait for the chance at free goodies and will go home wanting to buy their own gun!

nice! I too wish I had a boss like that....mine just skitters around like a hyper ferret on crack. thankfully, I dont have to deal with him much

We had our day at the range. 3 out of 4 showed up. The one who I pegged as the most anti, "couldn't make it." She's also the one who had the recent scare when she was alone closing up. She also once asked me how often I carry. I said, I have not not carried in years. She did not follow-up with any other questions or comments when I gave my answer. It was more of one of those dismissive and judgmental, "mm, hmm." So, it was not a big surprise she did not show up.

There were 3 other members of the club at the range. My employees were immediately impressed by the video security and the set-up of the range. I reminded them that they were probably in one the most secure places in MA. I also told them that they did not need to worry about theft of their stuff as responsible gun owners tend to be honest and trustworthy. I was hoping to diffuse any intimidation about the environment.

I had 2 women and one guy come and my 9 year old son. I brought a Glock 17, Glock 26, Walther P22, S&W 442, and S&W M&P 15-22. The two women never shot before. The guy only shot a shotgun a few times. At the range, I gave the usual safety lesson and gun handling rules, an orientation on the guns and calibers, an overview of the difference in features, a quick demo of the big black killy AR-15 and its evil and neutered features. They could not understand the reason for pinning a stock as between my 9 year old and the biggest one there, that gun was not the right size for most and altering the length to make it fit everyone in the room made more sense than having to own 5 of the same firearm in different pinned conditions.

Onto the firing range. They all had fun and enjoyed shooting. The one with the most bubbly personality and cheerful disposition was clearly nervous and quiet. Her hands were quite cold and clammy when I adjusted her grip. She was flinching with each shot from the other booths. But, I saw her smile a lot and when she took home a souvenir target with the bull's-eye destroyed by the green dot laser at 7 yards, she was full of pride. There were a lot of FTF's in the Walther, which I rarely experienced, but with the crappy 22 ammo I use and the limp wristing, I'm not surprised. What did surprise me was when the guy was given the .38 to load and fire, he was clicking off with no bag. I thought he did not fully engage the cylinder, so I did that and handed him the gun again, and no bang. I thought it is impossible I would have 5 duds, but remembered that I did a trigger job on it and though my trigger job failed. So, I went to unload the gun only to find he loaded 5 rounds of spent brass.

In the end, they all needed to use the 15-22 to earn their days off and realized it was their favorite gun to shoot. They all did pretty well for the first time shooting with the Glock 17. The women liked the Walther. Nobody liked the .38 because of the kick and lack of accuracy. I kept the whole thing to 90 minutes.

Step one was a success. They were exposed to the sport. I'm hoping they will get the bug. I know they will have something to talk about for a long time. We'll see if they ask to come again. I will make it an annual qualifier for the added vacation days.

Last edited:
Excellent job!

They could not understand the reason for pinning a stock as between my 9 year old and the biggest one there, that gun was not the right size for most and altering the length to make it fit everyone in the room made more sense than having to own 5 of the same firearm in different pinned conditions.

Tell them it makes the rifle less killy. And, as always, it's for the children. [laugh]

They could not understand the reason for pinning a stock as between my 9 year old and the biggest one there, that gun was not the right size for most and altering the length to make it fit everyone in the room made more sense than having to own 5 of the same firearm in different pinned conditions.

That's when you want to emphasize that having the stock unpinned vs. pinned is the difference between the gun being an "assault weapon" or a hunting/target rifle, and thus (in this state) illegal vs. legal. The more people we can get to see the ridiculousness of our gun laws, the better.

Excellent job getting new shooters to the range. Sounds like you may have started to change some minds!

FTFs with a P-22? Shocking. Mine seems to live for that. Nice job, though, you can be my boss any day.

Are you hiring?
Thanks for the + rep points. Every year we hire and put more people to work and stimulate the economy. Most of our positions, however, require state licensure in the allied health professions due to our government and insurance regulations. That can make it difficult to find good people, but I'm lucky we have a good group of people. Even the one who bailed, she's a hard worker and genuine, caring individual. IMHO, not everyone should have a firearm and it is better if they stay our of the wrong hands, especially if that is someone's choice, whatever the reasons may be.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I hope they shoot again and prey they eventually get their license.
I used to love the P22, but now the Ruger SR22 is my favorite of the two. Get one of those. You won't be disappointed.

If they end turning and want their ltcs I'll give a steep discount on the class....let's call it the serf to citizen discount program.

If they end turning and want their ltcs I'll give a steep discount on the class....let's call it the serf to citizen discount program.
Thanks! I will give them the info on your class. PM it to me. This is a great way to increase our numbers in MA. Imagine if all 2A business owners in MA did the same. It would give a boost to our numbers.

This just sent out. We have 6 people signed up already.

"Hi Staff,
I always have to laugh when our pediatrician asks whether we have any guns in the house. I appreciate their concern for the safety of the children, but the question is never followed with rules and regulations, MA storage laws, or common sense firearm safety rules. Medical providers typically have never held a firearm, are not NRA instructors or even certified by the State Police in basic firearm safety. The AMA mandated that all MDs ask this question. IMHO, by asking the question without offering accurate and helpful advice is not helping anyone and is an invasion of privacy. We can do better.

Not that any of you are required to ask the question, but just as easily as the AMA mandated all MDs to ask, the APTA can mandate that all PTs ask, "do you have any guns in the house."

BSM will be offering a 3 hour basic firearm safety course for anyone interested. The course is regularly $100 and will be provided for $40 including all materials. The course will be at BSM on a weekend morning (date to be determined). The instructor (not me) is a State Police certified instructor. The course will provide all students with a State Police Certificate in Basic Firearm Safety. This is required to apply for a firearm permit.

Please let me know if you or someone you know are interested."

One reply:
"Thanks, but I'm all set....my days of hunting rifles and hand guns
are over.....not enough bears or deer in Somerville to fill my freezer!"

Back
Top Bottom