• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Emergency surgery may delay my deer season

Damn that sucks. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You will be out there faster than you think. I had mine removed laparoscopically and was back at it in a couple of days. It was a very quick recovery though I didn’t have the pancreatitis. Don’t push too hard get your kids to drag out your deer. That’s why you made them.;)

Bob

Ditto. Quick initial recovery but the energy levels took a long while to get back to normal. Don't stress on deer season too much..IF you are feeling well enough to hunt in a week, bring someone to help haul because your stamina just won't be there yet

That sucks, everyone tells me its better to go out in pain than sit home in pain.
Im not so sure crawling to your stand is a good idea..depends on your hunting situation. Im up now waiting g to do the last prep for monday....trying to find stuff i put away a year ago is difficult.

Looks like this week is a no go. Still sore. But dec 5th I have a day scheduled off and will probably be fine by then. I'll have someone with me to dress and drag so all should be well.

I went through that 3 or 4 times before I got a 2nd opinion from a different hospital. I had exactly as you described. A stone blocked the common duct and I got pancreatitis. I went to a second hospital the last time after the previous one accused me of just going in there for narcotics. The 2nd one said I had pancreatitis and I was going nowhere. They made me wait to remove the gall bladder until my pancreas recovered just because removing it could make my pancreas worse again.
Recovery wasn’t bad, but when they tell you to move around to get the gas out of you abdomin they mean move around as much as possible. I didn’t know they meant never stop moving because the pain got so bad I went back to the hospital. Moving around while I was there alleviated the pain after a while. I would have run a few miles to avoid the pain that gas caused.

I went through that 3 or 4 times before I got a 2nd opinion from a different hospital. I had exactly as you described. A stone blocked the common duct and I got pancreatitis. I went to a second hospital the last time after the previous one accused me of just going in there for narcotics. The 2nd one said I had pancreatitis and I was going nowhere. They made me wait to remove the gall bladder until my pancreas recovered just because removing it could make my pancreas worse again.
Recovery wasn’t bad, but when they tell you to move around to get the gas out of you abdomin they mean move around as much as possible. I didn’t know they meant never stop moving because the pain got so bad I went back to the hospital. Moving around while I was there alleviated the pain after a while. I would have run a few miles to avoid the pain that gas caused.
I had the opposite experience. They knew my pancreas was inflamed from the labs and that the gallbladder had stones from an ultrasound. They gave me a healthy dose of morphine so I could rest and Scheduled the gall bladder removal the next morning and kept me in the hospital for pain meds waiting surgery. That was Tuesday night to wed morning for the surgery. They kept me in the hospital till Friday afternoon due to the pancreas issue. They wanted to see the labs prove the pancreas was getting better before letting me go. As far as the gas.....dude.....when I woke up from surgery I thought i was f***ing pregnant my belly was so round and tight! I also had strict instructions to get up and walk 3 trips to the nurses station and back every hour to get the gas out of me. I did as instructed. Dude that shit hurt like hell........my collar bones hurt from the gas going by my diaphragm and over the collar bones! Today I'm feeling a shit ton better. My navel hurts alot but that's normal. I'm definitely not able to hunt this week but with the progress I've made I can say I'll probably be in the woods next week.

Last edited:
Looks like this week is a no go. Still sore. But dec 5th I have a day scheduled off and will probably be fine by then. I'll have someone with me to dress and drag so all should be well.

Well good luck. Make sure someone is with you. Dont mess around. Still plenty of time

I had the opposite experience. They knew my pancreas was inflamed from the labs and that the gallbladder had stones from an ultrasound. They gave me a healthy dose of morphine so I could rest and Scheduled the gall bladder removal the next morning and kept me in the hospital for pain meds waiting surgery. That was Tuesday night to wed morning for the surgery. They kept me in the hospital till Friday afternoon due to the pancreas issue. They wanted to see the labs prove the pancreas was getting better before letting me go. As far as the gas.....dude.....when I woke up from surgery I thought i was f***ing pregnant my belly was so round and tight! I also had strict instructions to get up and walk 3 trips to the nurses station and back every hour to get the gas out of me. I did as instructed. Dude that shit hurt like hell........my collar bones hurt from the gas going by my diaphragm and over the collar bones! Today I'm feeling a shit ton better. My navel hurts alot but that's normal. I'm definitely not able to hunt this week but with the progress I've made I can say I'll probably be in the woods next week.

Ya, gas pains really suck!

I wouldn't be too quick to be getting out in the woods, especially if you intend on bouncing around on a 4 wheeler.....not good!
Relax and heal up, there will be many more seasons to hunt.

Good to see you're doing better. Like others have said if you don't have your health you have nothing, you'll know when you're good to go. Good luck out there if you're able to make it out.

I had the opposite experience. They knew my pancreas was inflamed from the labs and that the gallbladder had stones from an ultrasound. They gave me a healthy dose of morphine so I could rest and Scheduled the gall bladder removal the next morning and kept me in the hospital for pain meds waiting surgery. That was Tuesday night to wed morning for the surgery. They kept me in the hospital till Friday afternoon due to the pancreas issue. They wanted to see the labs prove the pancreas was getting better before letting me go.

The stone that was blocking the common duct moved and I felt like nothing had ever happened. That’s why they waited and let my pancreas recover. They did make me stay there for 3 days before going home. Then they scheduled the surgery for a week or two later.
As for morphine, it doesn’t work for me. I’ve had it on two separate occasions. You may as well give me a glass of water. They had to give me dilauded. That stuff is awesome. No pain and I was coherent.

Best wishes and get well soon!
~Matt

iu

Good news. Feeling about 80% today. Get the stitches out this afternoon! Saturday May be a go! I'll be out with some friends if I go so won't be solo. They crew took 4 deer yesterday without me so they are off to a fantastic start. Killed me getting those texts throughout the day! One was a 163 pound bruiser. Wish I'd been there with them to celebrate their success.

Good news. Feeling about 80% today. Get the stitches out this afternoon! Saturday May be a go! I'll be out with some friends if I go so won't be solo. They crew took 4 deer yesterday without me so they are off to a fantastic start. Killed me getting those texts throughout the day! One was a 163 pound bruiser. Wish I'd been there with them to celebrate their success.

Great news. Just don’t over do it.

Bob

Thnanks for the well wishes everyone

Struck out today. But the good news is I felt better today than I have in a year. I think me gallblader has been in tough shape for awhile!

Thnanks for the well wishes everyone

Struck out today. But the good news is I felt better today than I have in a year. I think me gallblader has been in tough shape for awhile!
glad you're feeling better, good news.

Back
Top Bottom