Emergency Reload Muzzle

I've recently started to practice running my p229, and to reliably hit the magazine release, I really have to wrap my thumb around the grip and cant the gun. If I keep the gun centered in my stance, I end up with the muzzle pointed about 45 degrees up and 45 degrees to the left. Is this acceptable muzzle discipline (especially at, say, an IDPA match)? Assume I'm not sweeping anyone.

I can keep the pistol pointed directly at target if I regrip and angle my hand, but I'd rather not do this under normal conditions.

I've seen a very few SO's complain about this, but I have no problem with it. (I'm an IDPA certified SO.) Just be mindful of your muzzle when reloading on the move or already facing at an angle to the range. It's easy to end up with the muzzle slightly up range if you don't stay very conscious of it if you're already angled left or especially if you're moving left. Also, be mindful that your muzzle is back to being pointed at the berm before you drop the slide. Slamfires in modern autopistols are very rare, but they can happen.

Thanks for the replies; I guess if the RO makes it an issue, I'll just use a larger regrip/hand angle for the rest of the shoot.
I'm looking at some thinner Hogue aluminum grips in order to solve the regripping issue, but it's pretty hard to spend another $140 that might not solve it without putting hands on.

It's normal in fact. Check out Travis Tomasie. Note how he brings the gun back in front of his face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgdq1FBYTUE

Alternatively, you can do the Bruce Gray reload. Bruce changes the mag release to the strong had side and actuates it with his trigger finger. This solves the problem with having to adjust the grip, but I bet he still pulls the gun back into his face.

If I keep the gun centered in my stance, I end up with the muzzle pointed about 45 degrees up and 45 degrees to the left. Is this acceptable muzzle discipline (especially at, say, an IDPA match)? Assume I'm not sweeping anyone.
IDPA doesn't have a problem with it, but a club may have.

Respectfully,
jkelly

you can always turn your upper body a bit if you're worried about it, One of my instructors had us do that when we were firing in a line. that being said, I think it makes you a bit slower to get back on target.

Two worlds of difference:
  • IDPA or other shooting competition - SAFETY RULES!! Reload as fast as possible,. but keep the gun pointed in some safe direction.
  • Self Defense, Life or Death Situation - Speed Rules. Don't worry abouit where the gun is pointed. Reload fast, and kill the bad guy.

After around 6 hours of emergency reloads with snap caps trying to get faster, the gun no longer comes more than a few degrees offline. Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom