• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Emergency Radio

I have been interested in purchasing an emergency radio to be used for power outages. I have seen a few powered by solar and hand crank and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and could make a recommendation of brand and features to look for.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't have any experience with the crank ones, but I have a real nice small one that I keep handy (used it during Irene). I bought it at LLBean, but it's made by Eton. It uses two AA batteries, but it uses very little battery and is much more practical than a crank radio I think. The reception is amazing for a small radio like that, especially SW. I think I paid $30 or so for it, but I am not sure if they still make this model. Grundig/Eton makes very good radios.
This is what I have http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6289

I have the ll bean solar battery crank radio and we used it during the snow storm. It works good. If you run the radio a lot you wind up cranking it every 15time min. My advice is leave it in the window so the solar panel charges the battery. I charges my phone with it that way.

A little of the best of all worlds. Battery/Solar/crank. I've been told it's pretty good, but I don't have one as I just use my Ham Radios to listen to just about anything that will go over the air.

http://www.kaitousa.com/KA500.htm

That's the one I have. I got it on sale at Emergency Essentials for about $45. I have only played with it a little, but it does seem to run for a long time on a few minutes of cranking.

The only problem I have with the Kaito is that when it got even a bit cold (about 50 degrees) the analog tuner didn't want to work properly. My next one will have most of the same features but will have digital tuning. I just don't like a string moving a bar in the radio.

Rome

As a followup on my post above, what would be the very best emergency radio I could buy?

I want the following options:

Digital tuning
SW bands
Multiple power options
NOAA messages
Rugged case
As a bonus, cell phone charger/ USB port charger.

There isn't one under $100 that I've been able to find that meets those minimal requirements and am prepared to spend up to $200 if need be.

Rome

Hey Gang, my oldest daughter just got promoted to be the editor of two newspapers in Missouri. I just found out that she is extremely afraid of tornadoes. So, for Christmas she asked for an emergency radio that will turn on automatically when the Emergency Alert System sounds an alarm. Thus far I cannot find one. Help me out! Is there such a thing and if so, where can I buy it? Thanks!

PS- this seemed to be the best place to post this request since the emergency radio topic is the topic.

Hey Gang, my oldest daughter just got promoted to be the editor of two newspapers in Missouri. I just found out that she is extremely afraid of tornadoes. So, for Christmas she asked for an emergency radio that will turn on automatically when the Emergency Alert System sounds an alarm. Thus far I cannot find one. Help me out! Is there such a thing and if so, where can I buy it? Thanks!

PS- this seemed to be the best place to post this request since the emergency radio topic is the topic.

Seems like it would technically have to powered up to make the audible alert. I say go modern and sign up for text msg alerts. I assume she carries her cell everywhere? This is new to me too and there are a bunch of web sites offering free alerts so she should check what is most common in her area but try http://www.incidentpage.net

David, I feel as though you helped the Sun rise over Marblehead! She get all kinds of updates on her phone: AP stories, Patriots Score, Red Sox score, Celtics score, etc. I never would have thought of that! Thanks a bunch!!

Night, thanks for the links. I will check those.

Midland WR-300

I'm sure there are several, but check out the Midland line of products. They do feature an alarm/alert mode to turn on and sound an alarm for dangerous weather and civil alerts:

I have a Midland that runs from a wall wart, with AA batteries as backup (does not charge batteries). You can program it to come on for EAS alerts, not just by zip code (aka SAME) but also by the type of alarm -- for example, I set mine to ignore "flood" warnings.

Don't rely on internet alerts for something like that! NOAA weather radio uses encoded warning messages called SAME to do exactly what she wants - turn her receiver on, beep a lot, and and say "Tornado warning" in the middle of the night just like a smoke alarm. The Midland receivers mentioned above will work well. After she gets one, send her here to find the appropriate code for her geographic area:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/CntyCov/nwrMO.htm

Input the 6 digit code according to the receiver's instructions, and set it to be quiet unless it receives it (generally referred to as SAME standby mode).

Incident pages are nice, but they require someone else to be awake, hear the alert, transcribe it, send it out, delay over the internet, yada yada yada. They also require the power grid and her internet service to be up. And since tornado warnings can only come from the National Weather Service anyway, why waste minutes getting them? Get her both if you want, but do NOT skip the weather radio.

Can anyone speak to success using a crank radio to charge a phone. This is an important function to me, but I've heard many have half assed chargers.

Don't rely on internet alerts for something like that! NOAA weather radio uses encoded warning messages called SAME to do exactly what she wants - turn her receiver on, beep a lot, and and say "Tornado warning" in the middle of the night just like a smoke alarm. The Midland receivers mentioned above will work well. After she gets one, send her here to find the appropriate code for her geographic area:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/CntyCov/nwrMO.htm

Input the 6 digit code according to the receiver's instructions, and set it to be quiet unless it receives it (generally referred to as SAME standby mode).

Incident pages are nice, but they require someone else to be awake, hear the alert, transcribe it, send it out, delay over the internet, yada yada yada. They also require the power grid and her internet service to be up. And since tornado warnings can only come from the National Weather Service anyway, why waste minutes getting them? Get her both if you want, but do NOT skip the weather radio.

That makes sense, particularly at home. I was just thinking the texting would help when you're not at home. I'm assuming she's not a radio geek and doesn't carry her brick around. I think weather.com does the weather txt alerts though.

Crap, now I kind of want the NOAA radio too.

Can anyone speak to success using a crank radio to charge a phone. This is an important function to me, but I've heard many have half assed chargers.

I just got this ETON radio for Christmas. I tested out the cell phone charger a little bit. When I plugged my cell in, the charge indicator didn't pop-up until I turned the crank on the radio.

I haven't tested the solar features yet.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3588433

I would look for other ways to charge a cell phone than using the crank of an emergency radio; it is a lot of work just for a minute of talk. I have several mechanisms:

- Generic USB charger that goes in the outlet in the truck; those are like $4.

- External battery pack, good for 5 full charges for my phone. I've had this one for a year and it works very well:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP...DRHW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325451801&sr=8-2

- Plus, the phone itself is now equipped with an extended battery (3500mAh instead of the default 1500mAh).

I figure if the power is out long enough to outlast all those backups, then a cell phone is likely low on my concerns by now, if the cell networks are even up and running anymore.

Here's my review of an older Kaito model KA007 analog solar / crank / DC radio.

Day 1: Knob on end of antenna pulled off on first extension of antenna.
Crank charger works OK - about 2 minutes cranking gets ~10mins run-time
Solar panel does charge batts, but the radio does not run directly off the solar panel. Radio does not work AT ALL when switched to the "solar" charge position.
Analog tuning is terrible. Micro fine tuning needed to get dialed in to stations. Unfortunately, the tuning display is so small, and the tuning knob so stiff and low profile that tuning is difficult at best.
Reception about what you can expect from this level of radio.
NiMh batts DO NOT fit properly in battery compartment. Slightly loose and frequently lose contact.

Day 2: Last segment of telescoping antenna pulled out. Slid it back in but now it's loose and pulls back out easily.

~1 week: Handle cracked after being lightly tapped against piece of furniture - crappy brittle plastic case.

~3 weeks: Crank mechanism exhibiting signs of approaching doom. Cheap plastic gears likely disintegrating.

~5 weeks: Antenna broke off completely. Repaired.

~2 months: Volume control goes flaky. I'd guess that the volume control potentiometer is failing internally. Jiggle knob around a bit and volume comes back. Checked wiring and it is OK.

~ 3 months: Dropped from about 6" onto hardwood floor. Total case failure. Big chunk of the case broke off, multiple cracks, battery compartment destroyed.

So... I give it a big "1 star" rating. It would have been a "0", but it did work.

Would I buy any Kaito product again? NO

Last edited:
Here's my review of an older Kaito model KA007 analog solar / crank / DC radio

Thanks for the review. That's disappointing. I bought a discontinued crank radio on sale at Eddie Bauer Outlet for like $12. I think a lot of these "survival radios" is just a marketing plan to sell $9 radios for $30+.

Crank radios have too much fail built into them. Buy a battery solar charger, enough rechargable batteries, and a decent digital radio that runs on AA batteries. Radio will work during emergencies and problems solved.

And, you can use the batteries for other things when the radio is not in use.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any GOOD solar chargers? I have an old one but it is crap; won't work in anything other than bright sunlight w/o clouds.

Can anyone recommend any GOOD solar chargers? I have an old one but it is crap; won't work in anything other than bright sunlight w/o clouds.

See Post #9 for my recommendations. Works well on a "normal" day but direct sunlight is better. Totally overcast and it will take forever to charge.

Get an Icom R6. Spend some time programming it with all the stations you want. I have the older R5 which does not scan as well as the R6, and it has been the best thing when we are in the dark. I have a couple of groups. I can scan the local fire/police/DPW/MEMA. I have several local AM and FM stations programmed. I also have a group with FRS/GPRS, a group of local HAM repeaters. Etc. Little pocket radio that can listen to just about everything. I have a couple of tuned antennas for it that are shorter, but more band specific so I can easily move around with it. Great while mowing with headphones and such.

I prefer this radio to several of my ham radios as it is a lot more efficient listening for long periods.

I use rechargeable batteries, but it runs on AAA as well.

Back
Top Bottom