• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Emergency" radio

Just thought I'd poke in here.

I did some checking of the market for what's available for an "emergency radio". I was pretty disappointed. Most of the older models, ones with good vernier dials and made from good materials, don't offer any alternatives to batteries. Many of the newer models are really cheap junk. But, I did find one that hit on most of the high spots.

I finally decided on a Kaito KA500. Along with nicads, it offers battery power (3 AA cells), crank power to charge the nicads as well as solar power to charge the nicads. It's got a dedicated NOAA band, three SW bands as well as typical AM/FM bands. Of course it's got an LED light, white and red, AND it's got a charging port on the back for telephones and other items. It even includes a handful of typical phone charging leads in addition to a USB port if neede to charge something.

I got it the other day and tested it out. It works fine and seems to have good reception. It doesn't have a vernier dial to fine tune weak stations but that's not that critical.

I like this radio but, given the opportunity, I'd think that manufactuers might offer one similar to this one with more quality features at even double the $50 price tag. I'd glady pay $100 for one that was more robust and did have either digital tuning or a vernier dial.

I'd like to know what you all have and what you might recommend.

Rome

S.A.M.E. makes a big difference.

For home, I picked up a Midland WR-300 with NOAA and S.A.M.E.

The new SAME (selective alerting) is handy, you can select which alerts the unit will turn on the speaker for, both by county and by type of alert. Great for a radio at home that you don't want startling the family in the middle of the night for a flood warning that can't apply to you, etc.

Midland also has a couple of portable models with crank power.

That's a nice looking unit and has digital tuning, something that I really wanted. But I also wanted SW bands included.

It seems to me that some manufacturer out there might do a survey to come up with a true "leatherman" type radio that includes all the great feature of three different models. Right now we're having to select one over the other depending on what feature you really feel you want and are willing to overlook the lack of other features. Plus, again, I'd glady pay $100 for one that was well built and more waterproof. While I'm happy with the one I purchased, it does feel a bit on the "cheap" side but then again what doesn't these days??

Rome

I bought a "Red Cross" radio. Grundig FRS360 which has AM/FM/Weather. It takes regular AA's and has a rechargeable that can charge from the crank, solar and AC (with optional AC adaptor) It has a gizmo for recharging a phone from a USB. It works well but I would have liked SW as well. Cost me $50 at Radio Shack.

Rome, if you have not done so already, you might want to consider Eton Solarlink FR600ARC, item number: ARCFR600R. http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/ARCFR600RDS_spec_pack_020310.pdf

I would not expect high quality from any modern camping/emergency radio. They are all cheap plasticey Chinese trash, but this one seems to have most features you were looking for. Also, do not expect much from the hand-crank. It’s 3 hours of cranking for 3 minutes of listening. So make sure your batteries are fully charged or better yet, use high quality LSDs and refresh them every 6 months.

For backup I use Midland GXT1000VP4, which is always charged because we use them daily.

Hope this helps.

I have 3 of the Eton FR150's. You've probably seen them if you have stopped by Cabela's. Has solar power, crank, LED, AM, FM and weather. They're usually around $30 or so. It also has the phone charger too, but it is a bit impractical... may take an hour of cranking for 1 minute of phone -- just keep a car charger in your car instead.

I let it fully discharge, then left it in bright sun all day outside. The radio then remained on for 2 hours. Another time, I got slightly less sun and got 1.5 hours. A minute or two of cranking gets me at least 15 minutes of radio.

Rome, if you have not done so already, you might want to consider Eton Solarlink FR600ARC, item number: ARCFR600R. http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/ARCFR600RDS_spec_pack_020310.pdf

I would not expect high quality from any modern camping/emergency radio. They are all cheap plasticey Chinese trash, but this one seems to have most features you were looking for. Also, do not expect much from the hand-crank. It’s 3 hours of cranking for 3 minutes of listening. So make sure your batteries are fully charged or better yet, use high quality LSDs and refresh them every 6 months.

For backup I use Midland GXT1000VP4, which is always charged because we use them daily.

Hope this helps.

That Eton model is the one I have. I very happy with it, with the exception of the long crank times you mentioned.

I have a Eton fr-1000 that I am very happy with and although its not solar I have a solar battery charger. You can order charger adaptors for most GMRS and Ham hand held radios from Eaton.

Back
Top Bottom