• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Emergency or Camping - Water Filtration

beaker

NES Member
Considering that potable water is one of the first orders of business in a survival situation, I've been looking around for the ceramic/carbon filter systems that NGO's have been sending to disaster zones. It uses two 5 gallon buckets and water drips from the top bucket to the lower bucket. Found a very good price for them, and will be buying some for the house. The carbon will last for 6 months of use, and with cleaning, the ceramic portion will last much longer.

These are the best prices I've found anywhere. I asked about buying bulk and possibly doing a group buy, but they aren't able to offer a lower price, though they will sell cases of 30 if people want to buy bulk. About the only benefit to a group buy would possibly be shipping costs. $23.25 each and shipping is on top of that. They have a pressurized version as well, and a hanging bag set for camping.

So, I'll post the link here for anyone who is interested in having these on hand, just in case...

h
Emergency%252520Water%252520Filter.jpg

water%252520filter%2525202.jpg

http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/product_p/bc-0102.htm

Last edited:
If folks are interested in a group buy, please indicate so here and if there seems to be interest I'll post a feeler thread in the group buy forum.

You can buy the Berkey filters for about $110 for 2 and they will do about 6K gallons before replacement. You can buy 4 of these kits for that price and it gives you 8 to 10k gallons. Looks like a great deal. Reading the lab tests on the website they look as good as the Berkeys. I am going to have to read more but I will probably pick a couple up.

I just ordered one of the kits mentioned above and a camping bag. I'll try to remember to post up my experiences after I get to use the camping bag in early August.

Shipping for a single unit is $10 and two is $12. Even if you get up to 30 units, you're probably still going to be at $2-4 each, which isn't much of a savings to justify the hassle of a group buy, IMO.

ordered and received

Ordered mine Friday AM and they arrived today. Will soon bag them in mylar with 02 absorbers and store them until needed. I had seen these on the Monolithic website a year ago and appreciate the memory jog!!

Best regards,
Ed

------------------

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
BC-0102 Emergency Water Kit
2 $23.25 $46.50
BC-0105 Pre-Filter (Sock)
2 $2.25 $4.50
BC-0103 Replacement Filter
2 $16.75 $33.50

Subtotal: $84.50
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $13.81
Grand Total: $98.31

I received my "emergency water kit" and camping bag the other day and they look like quality stuff.

The bag will get a workout in early August. I'll post back with my experience with it.

Shipping and communication was great. I'd definitely buy from that company again.

For the past 2 years we've been using one at our cabin in VT to filter stream water. Works great. Keep in mind: The buckets do not come with the kit, you supply them.

hardjeepguy where R U in VT???

also I didn’t see anything about giardia or cryptosporidium??
Do they say you still have to boil the water?

Back
Top Bottom