Emergency Drinking Water for Car

Does anyone have ideas for emergency drinking water for the car? Primarily for the winter? Maybe a container with filter?

Any ideas? Looking to have one in the trunk of my wifes car along with mine.

Plastic bottles of water, cans of Sterno, portable stove and metal cup. Put in a mountain house freeze dried meal pack in for good measure with plastic utensils.

How do you keep water from freezing in the car overnight in the winter? No big deal as long as the container doesn't rupture?

How do you keep water from freezing in the car overnight in the winter? No big deal as long as the container doesn't rupture?

These new cheap flimsy bottles don't explode like the old ones. I keep 4-5 in my jeep year round. ( mostly cause I forget to grab water for the kids sports activities )

Sam's Choice 20oz bottles, I keep a dozen in every vehicle and replace as used by me or the dogs. They don't leak even if frozen.

The problem is how you thaw them. Unless you have some liquid water to start, a fire/camp stove and pot aren't going to do you any good. I don't have an answer for this, but am curious as to what others have planned.

The problem is how you thaw them. Unless you have some liquid water to start, a fire/camp stove and pot aren't going to do you any good. I don't have an answer for this, but am curious as to what others have planned.

If vehicle stalls and you are stranded, you immediately place a few under the hood and let the remaining heat from the engine thaw them. Survival requires critical and timely thinking.

Also, if you can start a fire, there is no need for a pot or cup, you put the water bottles near the fire and they will thaw.

Additionally, if you start a fire, make it large enough so you can feel the heat from four or five feet away, anything smaller is a waste of fuel and you will not get warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you have any heat from the car, you can use that.

If you have a knife, you can cut the bottle away and use the fire and pot to melt the lump of ice.

If vehicle stalls and you are stranded, you immediately place a few under the hood and let the remaining heat from the engine thaw them. Survival requires critical and timely thinking.

Also, if you can start a fire, there is no need for a pot or cup, you put the water bottles near the fire and they will thaw.

Additionally, if you start a fire, make it large enough so you can feel the heat from four or five feet away, anything smaller is a waste of fuel and you will not get warm.

If you have any heat from the car, you can use that.

If you have a knife, you can cut the bottle away and use the fire and pot to melt the lump of ice.

These.

Get a canteen/cup/insulator to carry in car empty. Melt ice in metal cup and boil, fill plastic canteen and store in pouch. Stays warm and liquid for a long time.

RTC-1140-2.jpg

http://www.armynavyusa.com/Rothco-3...eM5RgPuLRS9BB6odBYilzUmr2LmrS0mrkMaAoJ48P8HAQ

The 6L Italian metal canteen is also a great thing to have. Can use it for soup/coffee/etc and place right in fire to heat.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...R5fH9M2V3fjRHvtoGDMMJeAE9qrt9xQi7UaApYX8P8HAQ

Most people won't realize they are in serious trouble until the engine is cold. Each of my cars has one of these $11 Esbit stoves plus extra fuel tablets. I also have a bottle of purification tablets in the kit. Finding water in MA is pretty easy.

Last edited:
Most people won't realize they are in serious trouble until the engine is cold. Each of my cars has one of these $11 Esbit stoves plus extra fuel tablets. I also have a bottle of purification tables in the kit. Finding water in MA is pretty easy.

Yup. However, the tablets really only get room temp warm water up to "pretty hot". You'll need a few tabs or other fuel if you want to melt snow or get more than a cup of water hot. Get some little sticks in there while the tablet is still burning and you'll have a longer fire.

I keep some purification tabs in the canteen cup which fits over the bottom of the canteen. No reason not to.

And yup. My canteen pouch has a small outside pocket. Purification tabs go in there.

Evian. Has enough minerals in it (salts) that I have seen it not freeze when left in cars that were out all night in -2 weather.

Now, would I want to pour water that was about 0 degrees down my throat is a different question.

I keep some propel in the car myself. Figure if I am making a fire etc I could probably melt and boil snow if I were really stuck. Could not see it getting that bad if I were not snowed in. Have a cup that fits over bottom of Nalgene bottle for melting.

Evian. Has enough minerals in it (salts) that I have seen it not freeze when left in cars that were out all night in -2 weather.

Now, would I want to pour water that was about 0 degrees down my throat is a different question.

I keep some propel in the car myself. Figure if I am making a fire etc I could probably melt and boil snow if I were really stuck. Could not see it getting that bad if I were not snowed in. Have a cup that fits over bottom of Nalgene bottle for melting.

nothing to do with salts. It's pressurized a bit. It can cool below the freezing point without a phase change. I highly doubt it would hold true all the way down to 0 degrees.

nothing to do with salts. It's pressurized a bit. It can cool below the freezing point without a phase change. I highly doubt it would hold true all the way down to 0 degrees.

You may be right about the reason. Feel free to try it yourself. Not sure what actual temp at that precise location was, but weather had it at -2 before the windchill that night. And I would think the bouncing it got being brought it would have started the freezing if it was just waiting for agitation to crystallize.

so whats the answer for having water not freezing while stored in the winter (I'm in the case of Poland springs group)?

so whats the answer for having water not freezing while stored in the winter (I'm in the case of Poland springs group)?

Propylene glycol [smile]

Seriously, I don't think there is a way to keep it from freezing, you just have to have a plan to thaw it if needed, as mentioned above.

I have a gallon jug and my old colemen stove with fuel stored in the truck year round. The stove is the old 1950s model 530, it works great and can melt and boil in minutes. The other nice thing about the stove is it can run on unleaded gas.
Yes it's a little heavier than a camp/backpack stove but I have a spot for it in my walk home bag. Plus I got a cheap whisky flask and filled it extra fuel.

Jason.

I just throw stuff over the case (like a blanket) and haven't seen any of them really freeze. I think it depends how well insulated the area is around the case of water.

+1 on that Esbit stove. Never heard of it, but it's definitely on "the list" of cool emergency things to have.

Fill it 80% full so the container doesn't rupture.

Most Polycarbonate water bottles will handle water frozen solid if partially full. So will Gatorade or Powerade bottles. They have the added advantages of being throw-away and having an opening large enough to pee into. Which is why you have more than one.....

I had a bunch of stuff under the panel in a Subaru Outback and discovered you couldn't get at it without opening the hatch. Most SUV's and wagons, ditto.

I disabled the front hooks so I can crawl back and open it from the inside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom