1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Embattled Fall River Mayor Jasiel Correia Arrested Friday Morning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Yeah extorting local business is totally excusable.:rolleyes:

ISOTOX and M1911 like this.
  2. Celtics83

Celtics83

3. rommel

rommel NES Member

If a corrupt polotician can accomplish that much in a short amount of time then the corruption preceding him must have been off the charts. You are correct to believe the feds are to blame but naive to believe that corruption at any level is acceptable and/or any less at fault.
    Corruption is nothing short of greed. History will document the downfall of this once great nation because of greed. There was a time when men and women sacrificed for the greater good of society. We are now in a freefall where the majority of people act in their best interest.

426wedge, drgrant, ISOTOX and 2 others like this.
  4. zboys

zboys NES Member

Really, this guy is scum regardless of what he did for fall River, he padded his pockets and screwed people over along the way, he deserves no mercy, punishment should be harsher for those in government positions.

5. MassachussettsMosinNagant

MassachussettsMosinNagant

How is that at all fair or democratic? Equal crime, equal time.

The man made it so that giant multi million dollar businesses could operate in his city. I think he should be entitled to a kickback. And a good portion of that kickback was used to replace the trash tax he did away with. It wasn't all just Hummers and Hookers.

6. grey

grey NES Member

I'm not sure if you can see how short sighted this is. Can someone else explain why this is bad? His kickback should be capped at a chance of reelection. Imagine trying to start a small business and not being able to afford said kickbacks? You're cool with the executive of your city selling himself out to the highest bidder?

7. zboys

zboys NES Member

They are elected into a position of trust and power, they should be held to a higher standard and pay a higher price for wrong doing.
    I am not anti cop, but they too should pay a higher price when they go astray.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    vicorjh, Howland and commodon like this.
  8. caboose84

caboose84 NES Member

So are you saying the kickback's he took were funneled into the trash disposal budget to replace the funds from the per bag tax? Gee there'd be a hell of an obvious paper trail for the feds to follow on that one...

9. rommel

rommel NES Member

I am not convinced that allowing a business to operate legally after it may have been unlawfully prohibited to do so, constitutes a hero. Regardless, taking a kickback for allowing a lawful business to operate is the best motivation I can think of to unlawfully prohibit the business in the first place. His kickback should be doing something good for the people he serves. If he wants to profit for his job performance then there is plenty of opportuinty in the private sector.

10. Celtics83

Celtics83

Out on bail.

Fall River Mayor Jasiel Correia arrested, accused of extorting money from pot companies

11. apander

apander NES Member

Notice it was a Federal AG and Not the Ma. AG, she was probably too busy getting ready to sue President Trump over Global/Climate Cooling/Warming or Plastic something.

Energizer, vicorjh, Bt74 and 7 others like this.
  12. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Mmm...if we only had to obey Fed laws and pay Fed taxes, we would be better off.

I'm not sure why you think the Feds are the enemy. The biggest problem is State Government.

13. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Fall River is the "Detroit" of Massachusetts.

M1911, Junior314 and commodon like this.
  14. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

It's funny how one person in this thread reminds me of how much the people of Southie loved Whitey Bulger.....lol

Dennis in MA, Emacs and M1911 like this.
  15. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

It’s his job to do that. Being a public servant is just that... serving the public.

16. weekendracer

weekendracer

Because he used his position within the government to use the power of the government to enrich himself. If he simply owned the only land in town and really turned the screws in a land deal, I'd be fine with it.

This guy had the threat of force behind his actions. Don't give me money, I'll send the police/regulatory agencies after you. How closely regulators look at you makes a huge difference in your profitability, if you have any profit at all after fighting overzealous fine implementation.

It would be just as bad if Trump went to Tyson foods and said, "Donate to me or I'll unleash ICE on your facilities".

vicorjh likes this.
  17. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

Not the only Fall Riverian to defend him, the people get the government they deserve.

M1911 likes this.
  18. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Wow today its "kick backs are fine" the other day it was another poster saying "gun owners don't need to carry 24/7" this place is turning into DU or something LOL.
    Ok its not that bad, but damn did I just read as long as this guy does what I like he should deserves to get a cut, you know "off the books".
    I thought that salary and fat state pension would be enough to enjoy life, nope lets add a few hundred ( or who knows how much over time it could or would of been ) pounds of weed to the income.

19. whatluck

whatluck

dont get trolled guys, mmn is a mayonnaise eater

desertr8der, Super99Z and Skysoldier like this.
  20. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Not that I'm defending him, but there are degrees of corruption. Visible, cash-greasing-the-palms corruption is very rare in the US. But stuff like "hey Bob, you should buy this ticket for my relection banquet and maybe I'll consider your name next time I'm trying to fill a vacancy (wink wink nudge nudge)" is pretty common.

There's a good book on political corruption in RI that takes a somewhat empirical approach and then explains through relatively unheard-of but interesting examples:

Scoundrels

21. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

I get the "wink wink" stuff, but several pounds of weed and we don't know if ts anything else is a little more than a wink wink.

M1911 likes this.
  22. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Like I said, I'm not defending the guy.

Jason m likes this.
  23. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

it is telling that this guy pulled all this off when he KNEW he was being watched by the Feds! that either shows a complete level of ignorance, OR brass balls bigger than Trump's.

;)

loonski and EJFudd like this.
  24. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Kickbacks is a nicer sounding word for shakedowns.

25. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Mussolini made the trains run on time and Whitey Bulger helped old ladies in the neighborhood. Jeebus pope on a rope, get a moral compass (on sale this week at Walmart).

M1911 likes this.
  26. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

I think 10 years in the can with Bubba...will really be tough on HIS can. Looks like a little girl anyway.

27. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

the mayor's theme song:

28. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Fall River is practically Rhode Island.

Dennis in MA and whatluck like this.
  29. fencer

fencer NES Member

A kick back is a bribe. And once a politician starts down that road, they become a criminal. You are ok with him taking a bribe because you think the business he promoted was good for the community. In my mind it is no different than if he took money from a drug cartel to be allowed to operate un opposed.
    In ancient Rome, corrupt politicians were thrown into the Tiber with their hands tied behind their back, and a sack with three starving rats placed over their head, and tied at the neck. This seems like a pretty good start for this POS

vicorjh and commodon like this.
  30. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Them's fighting words! We're [email protected] like everyone else(even if it was traded for Pawtucket originally)