• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Email response from Senator Kennedy

I don't agree with Olver on just about everything, but he has my respect -- he answers all emails seemingly personally, he keeps his "constituents" informed on what he's doing via email if you opt in, and he discontinued his practice of "franking" through the US mail at taxpayer's expense where the protest got loud enough. At least we know where he stands, unlike Jenifer Flanagan.

Congrats on getting a response.

I called both senators and my rep once about an issue.

Kennedy's staffer, once he found out it was a pro 2A call, shunted me into voice mail Siberia without listening to my feedback.

At least Kerry's office (seemingly) wrote my information and complaint down.

John Olver's office was the only one who responded. (With a letter explaining why my point of view was wrong)

I knew I wasn't going to get a positive response from any of these guys, but the experience with Kennedy's office was instructive. It takes a special kind of arrogance to blow off a constituent like that.

"It is also the time to limit the amount of guns one can purchase." -You effin a$$hole. Leave us alone and go after criminals.[angry]

They just don't get it.

I sent an email to Senator Kennedy advising against further restrictions on firearms, and this is what I got in response:

Dear Mr. *Turbo*

Thank you for your letter on the nation's gun laws. There is no doubt that the easy availability of firearms, particularly handguns, contributes to the unacceptable toll of death and injury from gun violence.

We must end the arms race in our cities, towns, and our neighborhoods. I support tough punishment for violent criminals, but I also believe that is not a sufficient answer to the problem. There are steps we can take to prevent violent crime before it occurs. It is time for Congress to act to place reasonable restrictions on access to dangerous weapons.

Congress took an important first step by enacting the Brady Bill in 1993, which imposed a nation-wide five-day waiting period on the purchase of handguns. We need comprehensive legislation to strengthen the regulation of federal firearms dealers and limit the importation of foreign-made weapons. It is also time to limit the number of guns that may be purchased at one time.

In the past, I have been a sponsor of legislation that follows the example of Massachusetts and requires handgun purchasers throughout the country to obtain a license proving they are qualified and responsible enough to own handguns. More recently, I have introduced the Children's Gun Violence Prevention Act, to protect children from gun violence.

None of these measures will infringe on the legitimate rights of hunters and other sportspeople. The Second Amendment is not a constitutional obstacle to the regulation of firearms, since the amendment by its own terms deals with the rights of the state militia, not individuals. The framers of the Constitution surely did not intend to leave Congress powerless to protect the public from an epidemic of gun-related violence.

I am committed to keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, without undue burden to law-abiding citizens who choose to use firearms for legitimate sporting purposes. Reasonable gun control is an important part of the effort to protect the American people from violent crime. Again, thank you for writing to me on this important issue.

Sincerely,
Edward M. Kennedy

Ok, do they actually think I would LIKE to hear all that?!??!?
This form email infuriates me.

"There is no doubt that the easy availability of firearms, particularly handguns, contributes to the unacceptable toll of death and injury from gun violence."
WTF IS THAT?!?!? The "unacceptable toll of death and injury from gun violence" is because of the laws that YOU voted for you stupid prick!!!

"None of these measures will infringe on the legitimate rights of hunters and other sportspeople. The Second Amendment is not a constitutional obstacle to the regulation of firearms, since the amendment by its own terms deals with the rights of the state militia, not individuals. The framers of the Constitution surely did not intend to leave Congress powerless to protect the public from an epidemic of gun-related violence."
We already delt with this, why does he refuse to accept that we DO have the right to arms? Who can I report this to? He is ignoring a SC decision.

I am committed to keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, without undue burden to law-abiding citizens who choose to use firearms for legitimate sporting purposes.
Key wording there, "legitimate sporting purposes". In other words, he won't be helping most of us.

In the past, I have been a sponsor of legislation that follows the example of Massachusetts and requires handgun purchasers throughout the country to obtain a license proving they are qualified and responsible enough to own handguns. More recently, I have introduced the Children's Gun Violence Prevention Act, to protect children from gun violence.
Yes, because the Massachusetts laws work sooo well. [rolleyes]

We must end the arms race in our cities, towns, and our neighborhoods.
I actually rather like the fact that everyone is buying guns. [smile]

Altogether, Kennedy completely ignored my email, and responded with a form email that says he is going to do the opposite of what I said I wanted.
Figures, Big Surprise. [angry]

Altogether, Kennedy completely ignored my email, and responded with a form email that says he is going to do the opposite of what I said I wanted.
Figures, Big Surprise. [angry]

I actually rather like the fact that everyone is buying guns. [smile]
The message this sends is the only solution to the problem above - he very much did ignore your letter and will continue to do so...

I seriously doubt "he" actually responded to you. It was most likely his assistant's assistant who's job it is to send out form letters to all constituents who contact the Senator. "We received an email/letter about gun control? Easy... just send back our gun control form letter/email reply!"

I seriously doubt "he" actually responded to you. It was most likely his assistant's assistant who's job it is to send out form letters to all constituents who contact the Senator. "We received an email/letter about gun control? Easy... just send back our gun control form letter/email reply!"

I know it wasn't him, but he is supposed to read and make sure he agrees with anything sent out with his name on it.

They've obviously got Kennedy's real brain in a jar somewhere, wired up to a computer, its entire capacity used to store and send that message, with just enough spare space for the recipient's email address.

Last edited:
He's not a stupid man. He knows that guns don't cause crime and he knows that more gun laws and buybacks don't work. He knows all the statistics as well as you do. He doesn't like guns and doesn't want you to have any. He feels that he's entitled to be protected by firearms but you are not. He gets it. He just doesn't care.

Clearly, the Senator does not give a flying f**k what you think.

To be honest, I know. I know my opinion doesn't mean shit to these people, and niether do my rights or our Constitution, but I send out the letters anyway. I don't really know why I bother, but if everyone said "They don't listen anyway, why bother?", then no one would see that we are opposed to this crap. [thinking]

He's not a stupid man. He knows that guns don't cause crime and he knows that more gun laws and buybacks don't work. He knows all the statistics as well as you do. He doesn't like guns and doesn't want you to have any. He feels that he's entitled to be protected by firearms but you are not. He gets it. He just doesn't care.

I believe this sums it all up and says it very well.

A decade or so ago we were working with a congressman from a different state on helping him manage his communications. They received tons of emails and letters from constituents and they wanted to be able to track the incoming emails and responses sent. We were talking with them about writing the software.

I spent some time with the congressman and learned something interesting. To quote him... he said "I'm not really interested in what people write to us about". I gave him a puzzled look and he said he needed to explain.

He said people who take the time to write to him on their positions are not likely the proper statistical representation of what people in his district felt as a whole. He hired survey companies to go out and find out how people as a whole felt in his district on different issues. Those are the numbers he went by.

So they wanted software to track who wrote to them, and how they responded. The software contained their canned responses to current issues. He could generate reports showing how many folks were writing to him on any given issue. But at the end of the day he relied on professional survey companies to get a representative sampling of what people thought in his district.

And, no, I will not spill the beans on who he is. But my sense is that this is how many politicians view letters and emails that are sent their way.

Best,

Rich

P.S. This guy was a democrat. He asked me about my party affiliation and I told him honestly that I was republican. He actually thanked me for my honesty, and I have a funny feeling he had already checked that out somehow.

I believe this sums it all up and says it very well.

yup.

I just can't understand the mindset of people like him. I've tried to to understand why they think what they do, but I just don't get it. I can understand why some people have the opinions they do on most issues. Like abortion, I understand why people would be "pro-choice". I think they are wrong, (and is some cases, sick), but I understand their points.

Pathetic.

Kennedy's legacy will always be in that 1967 Oldsmobile.

Only for folks who remember it. As his son does here in RI, hit the "old folks" around election time. "We are working for you". Just can't believe the downright stupidity of the average voter. Hate like hell to make that comment, but where is the logic, reason, common sense, of the folks that keep voting these Kennedy's in time after time? Is our populace that stupid?

Only for folks who remember it. As his son does here in RI, hit the "old folks" around election time. "We are working for you". Just can't believe the downright stupidity of the average voter. Hate like hell to make that comment, but where is the logic, reason, common sense, of the folks that keep voting these Kennedy's in time after time? Is our populace that stupid?

Some people will never get it.

“If she had lived, Mary Jo Kopechne would be 62 years old. Through his tireless work as a legislator, Edward Kennedy would have brought comfort to her in her old age.”

-- Charles Pierce in a January 5, 2003 Boston Globe Magazine article. Kopechne drowned while trapped in Kennedy’s submerged car off Chappaquiddick Island in July 1969, an accident Kennedy did not report for several hours.

This was the Media Research Center's "Quote of the Year", 2003

yup.

I just can't understand the mindset of people like him. I've tried to to understand why they think what they do, but I just don't get it. I can understand why some people have the opinions they do on most issues. Like abortion, I understand why people would be "pro-choice". I think they are wrong, (and is some cases, sick), but I understand their points.

That's your problem. You think...use reason, personal feelings, and personal beliefs. You are outlawed. Only the governmentally approved venue is acceptable. [grin]

We know before we send a letter to Kennedy or Kerry what type of response we are going to get on most constitutional issues and all we can hope is that they both either kick the bucket or get kicked out of politics.

They are no good, never were any good and the only reason they get in is because the ignorent assed mass voters think they are against the big corporations and for the working class when the truth is that both have never been about anything but themselves.

These two are the apitamy of corrupt politicians that can and will continue to do the country a great deal of harm! People that have an ounce of political and business savvy don't vote for them but alas they are the minority in this service state!

Why in the hell not?

We sit here and piss and moan about how miserable these sons of b!tches are, and you won't name names?

Who is this POS?

Ummmm... I'm a professional and was hired in that capacity. I consider anything I discuss with my clients confidential.... as it should be. That stands in stark contrast to what I am comfortable posting on the web as an individual.

FYI he did share that most of his peers acted in the same manner. So it really does not matter who he is... they all do it.

Rich

We know before we send a letter to Kennedy or Kerry what type of response we are going to get on most constitutional issues and all we can hope is that they both either kick the bucket or get kicked out of politics.

They are no good, never were any good and the only reason they get in is because the ignorent assed mass voters think they are against the big corporations and for the working class when the truth is that both have never been about anything but themselves.

These two are the apitamy of corrupt politicians that can and will continue to do the country a great deal of harm! People that have an ounce of political and business savvy don't vote for them but alas they are the minority in this service state!

Please don't forget that Kerry did serve in Vietnam.....and while in LA, he "saw" the Mekong Delta. This friggin phony is beyond description!

Please don't forget that Kerry did serve in Vietnam.....and while in LA, he "saw" the Mekong Delta. This friggin phony is beyond description!

So did I and I have no regard for that miserable piece of shit![grin]

I will repeat what I have seen here numerous times " my guns have killed less people than fat teddy's car"
I will also mention that back when Mitt was a cantidate, I sent him a supportive email and I got a hand written response from him in the mail with a real signature in ink from him. No canned lazy ass bullshit from him.

I wonder how he would reply to this quote-

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." --Adolf Hitler, dinner talk on April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitler's Table Talk 1941-44: His Private Conversations, Second Edition (1973), Pg. 425-426. Translated by Norman Cameron and R. H. Stevens. Introduced and with a new preface by H. R. Trevor-Roper. The original German papers were known as Bormann-Vermerke.

Ummmm... I'm a professional and was hired in that capacity. I consider anything I discuss with my clients confidential.... as it should be. That stands in stark contrast to what I am comfortable posting on the web as an individual.

FYI he did share that most of his peers acted in the same manner. So it really does not matter who he is... they all do it.

Rich

Then why are you even responding? If you can say nothing...all is confidential....what is your point? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom