• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Email response from Senator Kennedy

I have sent plenty of emails to Senator Kennedy about gun control issues. This is the first time I have got anything back. Its a canned response that basically verifies what I already knew: my efforts were fruitless. Its been at least 2 weeks since I sent anything to him and I just got this email this morning. Here is the email from him:

=================================
Thank you for your letter on the nation's gun laws. There is no doubt that the easy availability of firearms, particularly handguns, contributes to the unacceptable toll of death and injury from gun violence.

We must end the arms race in our cities, towns, and our neighborhoods. I support tough punishment for violent criminals, but I also believe that is not a sufficient answer to the problem. There are steps we can take to prevent violent crime before it occurs. It is time for Congress to act to place reasonable restrictions on access to dangerous weapons.

Congress took an important first step by enacting the Brady Bill in 1993, which imposed a nation-wide five-day waiting period on the purchase of handguns. We need comprehensive legislation to strengthen the regulation of federal firearms dealers and limit the importation of foreign-made weapons. It is also time to limit the number of guns that may be purchased at one time.

In the past, I have been a sponsor of legislation that follows the example of Massachusetts and requires handgun purchasers throughout the country to obtain a license proving they are qualified and responsible enough to own handguns. More recently, I have introduced the Children's Gun Violence Prevention Act, to protect children from gun violence.

None of these measures will infringe on the legitimate rights of hunters and other sportspeople. The Second Amendment is not a constitutional obstacle to the regulation of firearms, since the amendment by its own terms deals with the rights of the state militia, not individuals. The framers of the Constitution surely did not intend to leave Congress powerless to protect the public from an epidemic of gun-related violence.

I am committed to keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, without undue burden to law-abiding citizens who choose to use firearms for legitimate sporting purposes. Reasonable gun control is an important part of the effort to protect the American people from violent crime. Again, thank you for writing to me on this important issue.

Sincerely,
Edward M. Kennedy

Hunters and sportspeople? What about non-sportsmen who just want to protect themselves?

/John

Last edited:
I have sent plenty of emails to Senator Kennedy about gun control issues. This is the first time I have got anything back. Its a canned response that basically verifies what I already knew: my efforts were fruitless. Its been at least 2 weeks since I sent anything to him and I just got this email this morning. Here is the email from him:

None of these measures will infringe on the legitimate rights of hunters and other sportspeople. The Second Amendment is not a constitutional obstacle to the regulation of firearms, since the amendment by its own terms deals with the rights of the state militia, not individuals. The framers of the Constitution surely did not intend to leave Congress powerless to protect the public from an epidemic of gun-related violence.

Sincerely,
Edward M. Kennedy

/John

It's that part right there.
Didn't Heller establish that the 2nd amendment was an individual right?

Man I hate people who think like this. Ignore reality. Quote fictional history.

I can see his hatred of guns, after losing two Brothers to assassination. Beyond that though is the simple fact he doesn't get, or care to get, the meaning of the Constitution and the 2d Amendment.

..."won't interfere with legitimate ... hunters and sportspeople..."

That isn't it Ted. And the Supreme Court has said it is not the Militia, it is an individual right.

I don't bother writing Kennedy, Kerry or Frank about my position any more. They routinely disregard the will of their constituents, as they try to build some "Utopian" paradise, where everyone is good, no one comes in last, and the successful carry the weight of the lazy and uneducated on their backs.

Bah, what a system.

That email response raised my bloodpressure to unacceptable levels. When this guy croaks, who's going to be the next bloodsucking anti-freedom assclown to fill his seat?

Man I hate people who think like this. Ignore reality. Quote fictional history.

I can see his hatred of guns, after losing two Brothers to assassination. Beyond that though is the simple fact he doesn't get, or care to get, the meaning of the Constitution and the 2d Amendment.

Guns didn't assassinate his brothers anymore than his car drove itself into the water...ti's no wonder he likes to pass the blame onto inanimate objects. Afterall, he can easily understand people who don't like to take responsibility for their own criminal actions.

Funny, I got the same response. It's posted over under "letters to elected officials".

The dumb aide didn't even spell my name right.

IIRC, someone got this exact same email from senator Kennedy's office months ago. This is pre-generated email that they send out on all gun-related issues.

My suggestion is re-write the letter and asking them not to include the generic response. Attach this generic response to your letter. It would be awfully pathetic of them to reattach the same letter you already attached and you'd have a good case for news to inform people that senator's really aren't listening to the people.

I got this same response from his office some time before Heller, then again just after. They haven’t read this much less updated it for at least a few years.

I suppose if I had 2 brothers shot and killed I wouldn't like guns either.

Then maybe the rest of us ought not to like cars and water.

Suppose we all just use our brains for a second and decide that we don't like murderers, and give him the treatment that is just for the murderers of his brothers. Oh wait, he's a kennedy. Guess that won't be happening.

Two things

Thank you for your letter on the nation's gun laws.....The Second Amendment is not a constitutional obstacle to the regulation of firearms, since the amendment by its own terms deals with the rights of the state militia, not individuals.

Sincerely,
Edward M. Kennedy
/John

First - He needs to be reminded that HE WORKS FOR US.

Second - He must've been in the hospital when the Supreme Court interpreted the second ammendment AS APPLYING TO INDIVIDUALS last summer.

Sometimes people need to realize when it's time to let someone else have a chance in office... [rolleyes]

The guys short term memory is failing.
Especially around the time the supreme court made that decision!
These days his biggest concern is not falling over as he walks around waddeling like a penguin!

Hunters and sportspeople? What about non-sportsmen who just want to protect themselves?

/John

He actually tells you specifically, "We must end the arms race in our cities, towns, and our neighborhoods." What do you think having arms for defense is in his mind other than an arms race?

Congrats on getting a response.

I called both senators and my rep once about an issue.

Kennedy's staffer, once he found out it was a pro 2A call, shunted me into voice mail Siberia without listening to my feedback.

At least Kerry's office (seemingly) wrote my information and complaint down.

John Olver's office was the only one who responded. (With a letter explaining why my point of view was wrong)

I knew I wasn't going to get a positive response from any of these guys, but the experience with Kennedy's office was instructive. It takes a special kind of arrogance to blow off a constituent like that.

Back
Top Bottom