• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Electronic hearing protecton

Used the search feature and most of the threads on electronic hearing protection are over 3 years old, that being said with the advancements in technology, what are the latest in electronic hearing protection. Where do you purchase, locally or online?

Leaning toward the Peltor comtec, any other recommendations?

Thanks

I have a set of Etymotic GSP15 Pros. With aftermarket foam tips they are excellent. I shoot all-day PRS matches with braked rifles while wearing just these plugs.

I use the Peltor Sports with Surefire Ear Plugs underneath just incase the buttstock pops up my ear protection while shooting.
[/QUOTE
Yeah, that happened to my wife while shooting an AK inside of a portable range.
She suffered some permanent hearing loss, but thankfully, not any worse.
Not a good senario.
A set of plugs underneath would have probably prevented that.

I have a giant box of ear pro, some of it real cheap, some of it extremely expensive, and the best thing I’ve found by far are the SureFire EarPros. You can’t even tell they’re in if you get the fit right, they have different “levels” of protection (w/ and w/o caps in), still allow conversation volume sound in, and you can wear them under other protection for additional attenuation. If you really want a set of electronic over ear ones, 3M Peltor TacticalPro get my vote.

I use MSA Sordins w/gel cups and either foam plugs or Surefire flanged EP’s under them. so far they have worked for me for a few years. I also use them hunting out in the woods to amp the ambient noise but still provide hearing protection if i get a worthwhile shot. i had the cheap howard leight for a few years but found they were too tight on my ears for long periods of time. otherwise they are good for inexpensive electronic ear pro. i still keep a couple pair of them as spares for people that tag along to the range with me. i almost always double up these days no matter what. i use the electronic amp to overcome the in ear plugs and it’s like i’m wearing nothing unless there is a shot.

I told my girlfriend next time she is looking to buy me a gift, instead of asking or picking out some random things just to get me some nice electric ear buds :)..

For the meantime though, for about $27 I use these champion brand electric muffs from Walmart - 25 nrr cancellation. Seem to work great and a few sets don't break the bank and you don't need to cry if you break them.. tried to post a link but just can't make it work, will be obvious if you see them.

I had an audiologist custom make a set for me. voices aren’t muffled, but if needed, there’s a sensitivity/volume adjustment on each ear. Not cheap, but better than anything I’ve ever used.

I've been wearing an inexpensive pair from Caldwell. They work just fine, good battery life and you can see if you like them enough to get a really nice pair with better features.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrzTTXoWI0

Noise reduction rating (NRR) of 26dB which seems excellent for muffs this thin.

Back
Top Bottom