electronic ear muffs with auto shut off

rep308

NES Member
I have a set of electronic ear muffs that let you hear normal conversation but cut out when the bang happens. I love them but they have a single knob that turns them on and adjusts the volume. The problem every time I go to use them the damn 9v battery is dead. I turn them off but banging around my gun bag must turn it on and then the battery dies.

Is there a model that shuts off automatically after a preset time period to conserve the battery?

My Howard Leight Sports turn off after a few hours.
But you should also use batteries with low internal leakage current.
I've started using lithium batteries for longer life, but there are newer alkaline and NiMH that are good, too.
If you pull the batteries or keep spares(!), keep them in a container with silica gel to combat humidity.

I've only replaced the batteries in my Howard Leights twice and I shoot a lot and will wear them upwards of 8 hours a day at matches. They did just start cutting out certain frequencies though, I can't really hear conversations, but I can hear background noises. For the price and after 2 years, I'd rather go through a set or two of these instead of spending $300 plus for the other brands.

Back
Top Bottom