• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Elderly veteran uses butt of his shotgun to kill home intruder who attacked his wife

Are you the Biden supporter old guy who's cool with us turning our guns in? Or are you the cool of guy? I know there are 2 of you
Definitely not the crazy Joe Biden supporter one.
But I would never describe myself as cool either.[rofl2]

I don't hate the individual good police officer. But I have zero respect for the political bs ones that think they are better than the citizens they are supposed to protect and serve.

I also believe that if a citizen can't carry a firearm for protection that neither should they be allowed to and without any fees, permits or requirements.

I'm all for disarming the police and doing away with their immunity when they fail their citizens.
Give the people back our right of self protection and less of this "You don't need a firearm, we'll take care of you" attitude.
Put in police officers that understand that everyone deserves the same level of protection that they have!

I do not stand with any police officer that thinks they have special rights not afforded of those they serve!
It sickens me that law enforcement as an organization is in bed with our politicians and act like those they serve are somehow less of an upstanding citizen than they are!

Last edited:
I agree but if he took the shotgun off the wall it was probably unloaded.
Have you seen the cost of buckshot?[smile]
Old man was like F it and thought the sound of the butt stock cracking his cranium was better suited to the dirt bag for cutting his wife.

I personally would have loved to have buried a bayonet up to the hilt in his chest and watch the light fade from his eyes.
Harm those I love and all bets are off!

Last edited:
Calling for help and waiting for it to arrive reminds me of this old tale:

Sadly, they probably arrested him too, for calling in a false report.

Calling, saying nothing but having "sounds" of gunfire from a movie might work, though. He made no report, simply butt dialed the phone while watching a movie.

In turn, reminds me of the old man, too feeble to till his garden. The son called to police, told them he's suspicious that his father had killed someone and buried the body under the garden. Police show up to find the body and after all day, digging in the garden found nothing and left. Son calls dad and asked if the town came by to plow his garden.

I think I mangled the telling, but you get the drift, I'm sure

I wondered if the invader and wife were too close for a safe shot with a shotgun. Vet, shotgun on wall... I'm guessing it was loaded...
Possibly , my dad had lits of vets for friends and worked with many . My dad asked one of his friends if he wanted to go to the range . He said no my dad said are you against guns.
Man says No , my dad then says what would do if someone broke into your house. he simply said well that thief better shoot me because I will gladly cave his head in.
This guy was one of the coolest friends my dad had . He had all sorts of WWII memorabilia and lots of stories and pictures. Always interesting when he was around

The full quote is:

"Of course, folks have the right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger, but the best thing to do is to call for help," he told the Aiken Standard newspaper. "Every situation is going to be different. It may be a similar crime in nature, but every situation is going to be different. There’s no way to accurately predict exactly what actions that any person should take if somebody is trying to invade their home. The best recourse is to think smartly and get help on the way."

The sheriff is right, every situation is going to be different, backup is a good thing. The tables could have been easily turned and the perp could have beat the living shit out of both homeowners with the same shotgun and then walked away. The sheriff never said 'let us handle it' he said 'hey, let us know so we can help'

Last edited:
Feel good story of the year...

...and Herbert should visit Dingleberry Abdullah with his buttstock.

1613755729364.png

The full quote is:

"Of course, folks have the right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger, but the best thing to do is to call for help," he told the Aiken Standard newspaper. "Every situation is going to be different. It may be a similar crime in nature, but every situation is going to be different. There’s no way to accurately predict exactly what actions that any person should take if somebody is trying to invade their home. The best recourse is to think smartly and get help on the way."

The sheriff is right, every situation is going to be different, backup is a good thing. The tables could have been easily turned and the perp could have beat the living shit out of both homeowners with the same shotgun and then walked away. The sheriff never said 'let us handle it' he said 'hey, let us know so we can help'

Could be debated...

Aiken County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Eric Abdullah, a department spokesman, said residents should call 911 immediately if they suspect their home is being broken into.

The actual words stated could have been intended the way you say or could have been intended to convey that while Herb didn't break the law he was wrong to defend his wife's life.

In a perfect world, Herb would have slapped the panic button on the wall where the shotgun was mounted to mobilize the police and then handle the situation to the best of his ability (which turns out to have been within his reach) until they arrived.

But we don't really know how the events played out. Perhaps Herb had no opportunity to call for help without LOSING the opportunity to save his wife.

This wouldn't have made the news if a shotgun wasn't involved...
This might not have made the news if the wife wasn't slashed.
shallow-grave-wallpaper-11.jpg

FFS the home owner had to kill the guy. Do you all expect him to clean up the mess too?
He's a hopeless romantic, and decided not to leave that to the (slashed) wife.

Aiken County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Eric Abdullah, a department spokesman, said residents should call 911 immediately if they suspect their home is being broken into.
Have you seen his photo off the department web site?

The full quote is:

This is the way I interpreted the sheriff's words too. The sheriff never said anything about Herb being in the wrong. Herb thought smartly, dispatched the threat, and then called the sheriff.

Vietnam vet Herbert Parrish, 82, pummeled home invader who had slashed his wife with a knife​

A South Carolina armed home invader who attacked a 79-year-old woman near her back door is dead after the victim’s 82-year-old Vietnam War veteran husband beat him down with the butt end of a shotgun earlier this week, according to local authorities.

Herbert Parrish snatched the firearm off a wall mount after the suspect, identified as 61-year-old Harold Runnels, broke into the home with a knife, knocked his wife to the ground and slashed her forehead Monday afternoon, Columbia, S.C.-based Fox 57 reported.

He lived in a nearby mobile home community, according to WJBF-TV, and approached by knocking on the back door and asking if the couple had seen a missing dog.

Runnels later died at a hospital due to injuries sustained in the scuffle, according to authorities.

The Parrishes were not being charged. They were both treated for minor injuries but are expected to be OK.

This is an outrage!

The old mans wife is getting beat up and stabbed and the Sheriffs office says it's better to call for help on 911?

What about his wife in the mean time as she is about to lose her life?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFaYIk1_Uog

Back
Top Bottom