• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ejector dings on brass

While I am not yet reloading, I've started hoarding my brass for when I actually get around to starting to reload.

While collecting my .45ACP brass today (first time I've gotten around to picking it up), I noticed there is a distinct mark on the case head. It appears the ejector is giving the brass a really good wack and leaving a mark (this is on a 1911). Some of them are fairly faint, but there are a bunch that are very noticeable.

Is this brass usable? It would definitely put a damper on my plans to reload for the gun if it destroys every piece of brass that goes through it [thinking]

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to get a decent picture of it, I don't have a camera that focuses well enough in close.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to get a decent picture of it, I don't have a camera that focuses well enough in close.

Does your camera have a "Macro" setting in the menu or on one of the selector dials? (Even some very basic cameras are offering it now) That will really help you get a sharper focus when shooting from an up close distance.

Does your camera have a "Macro" setting in the menu or on one of the selector dials? (Even some very basic cameras are offering it now) That will really help you get a sharper focus when shooting from an up close distance.

Nope...I have a pretty basic digital camera from probably 4 years ago, at this point.

Basically, look at the case end on - looking directly at the headstamp - and pretend it is a clock. Draw a line from the 11 to the 1. A "chord," if you will. They are deep enough you can catch your fingernail in them.

The brass as it is should be fine for reloading (it's not like it's cracked case mouths, bulged cases, etc), but without actually seeing the cases up close, that's just a guess.

I'd be more concerned as to why the ejector is leaving such deep impressions.

Is it out of spec (too long)?

Crud/grime/dirt in the hole that prevents the ejector from traveling freely?

The brass as it is should be fine for reloading (it's not like it's cracked case mouths, bulged cases, etc), but without actually seeing the cases up close, that's just a guess.

I'd be more concerned as to why the ejector is leaving such deep impressions.

Is it out of spec (too long)?

Crud/grime/dirt in the hole that prevents the ejector from traveling freely?

I've seen a few references that similar guns to mine (Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec) do the same thing. The gun really throws the brass, well over 10 feet, and anywhere from about my 2 o'clock to my 5 o'clock. I'll have to look into a potential issue with the gun a little further.

I guess I'll have to get someone to look at the brass in person before I start using it, I wasn't really expecting a definitive answer without pictures. At least I know it isn't totally hopeless, yet!

Dents on the face of the case (where the primer is) will do nothing to the cases reliability for reloading. If the brass is being ejected a little too vigorously, you might consider a heavier recoil spring.

My 1911 also does that. It is not as bad as it used to be though before I filed down the offending material on the face of the slide. A gunsmith can do this and it was pointed out to me by Dave Santerre when someone else complained about the same issue.

I look at it as an indicator of how many times I have reloaded the case. It confirms my notes and lets me know if brass I have picked up may have been reloaded multiple times and is near the end of it's useful life. I have only seen it on 1911s though.

My Kimber also does this. The case heads get kinda dinged up, but work very well. I have no idea how many times the cases have been reloaded. I just throw them out when the case walls crack.

Last edited:
Minimal (initial) cost? A used Rock Chucker or similar single-stage press.

Minimal actual cost - as in, after you get fed up with the glacial production of a single-stage compared to your pistol ammo consumption? A Dillon 550 or Hornady L-N-L.

Not that a single-stage is ever useless, but if you're looking to produce PISTOL ammo, especially something like .45, without hours of coolie labor, you WILL want a progressive. Bite the bullet now.

Minimal (initial) cost? A used Rock Chucker or similar single-stage press.

Minimal actual cost - as in, after you get fed up with the glacial production of a single-stage compared to your pistol ammo consumption? A Dillon 550 or Hornady L-N-L.

Not that a single-stage is ever useless, but if you're looking to produce PISTOL ammo, especially something like .45, without hours of coolie labor, you WILL want a progressive. Bite the bullet now.

I'd love to, but I really don't have the space. 2 adults and a dog in a 700sqft apartment that is poorly laid out. I don't shoot a whole lot of centerfire each month, maybe a box each of .38 and.45. I'm investigating a setup that has everything I need to load and keep at least that pace on one of the calibers, all the while being easy to break down and store in a small cabinet when not in use. I'm also hoping I can get stuff that won't be totally obsoleted when we move into a larger place and I can get a decent turret or progressive. I've been looking into the Lee Hand Press. I know there is a huge amount of hatred for Lee here on the forum, but searches online for people in a similar situation to mine suggest that this is a decent option. If it doesn't work out, I'm out the $27 (less once my C&R gets here), and I'll have the rest of the stuff I need until I can get more space. I can always sell it later. I'd be able to learn the ropes of how to load, and maintain my current pace. I'm not looking for production here.

I may also just wait - we're hoping to move early next year. I have ABC's of Reloading in the mail, and I've been scouring the web for information. I can always accumulate books and brass now, and get the loading equipment once I have the space for a WizzBang 5000 progressive.

Probably 90% of my reloading gear is Lee. I've been reloading 20 years or so...a few thousand + rounds a year at least. I haven't come close to wearing any Lee equipment out yet. More expensive doesn't make a product better by default.

I suggest you wait until after the move.

Better quality equipment later than inadequate equipment now.

I suggest you wait until after the move.

Better quality equipment later than inadequate equipment now.

We shall see, I have some other purchases planned. I'll get the books, hoard the brass, and if I see a good deal, maybe I'll jump on it. I'd need dies, a scale, calipers, and probably a priming tool anyway, which aside from the press and, if you get one, powder measure (dippers and a scale would be slower, but would give you the same result) are the expensive bits, anyway.

I need to do a lot more reading before I start buying things, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom